Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

MacUpdate Spring Bundle

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacUpdate Spring Bundle
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-06-12, 23:54

So a couple days ago I saw there were 5 days left on the timer to buy the spring bundle for $49. I'm like okay I'll get it in a couple days.

I Googled it just now and saw a news release stamped "18 hours ago" that said there were 24 hours left to get it. I ran to get it and the URL is already dead.

Are you shitting me? They took it down a few hours early, apparently, before the time they said *in their own news release* was up?

If there's no way for me to get this, I'm going to be pissed. I want Parallels and RipIt, but there's no way in hell I'm gonna drop $80 for for Parallels.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-06-13, 01:09

Please update if you get it.
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2009-06-13, 01:38

It was only available until the 12th which was on the website. I didn't buy it myself but I came close, if they had thrown in some kind of game I probably would have jumped on it.

Your comment about Parallels is interesting though. When Parallels first came out is was considered cheap and awesome, almost a favor to the Mac community (I believe at the time VMWare workstation for PC/Linux was $199, Virtual PC was $129, and Parallels was $79).

I'm not sure these bundles (like MacHeist and now MacUpdate) are doing any favors for the developer community. I think once a developer has participated in one, there's an expectation (in my brain at least) that they will do so again. In which case, why buy software you don't need right away when you can just wait for a bundle which might have exactly what you're looking for or something close enough.

Now, don't get me wrong, if Parallels isn't worth $80 to you, I'm not disputing that! I just thought it might be interesting to revisit the topic of whether or not these bundles are a good thing.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-06-13, 03:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Please update if you get it.
Will do. I sent an email to the contact on the press release about the inconsistencies, so it'll be interesting to see their response.

Also interesting is that a couple days ago, the countdown timer on the bundle page still said 5 days left, so I was waiting until Monday (which should have been the last day for it ((according to that timer)) and also the day my Mac Mini is due to arrive), so I could just install it straight to the new computer.

About the price. It's mostly just because I won't be using it very often, and RipIt in the bundle was also something I was wanting. I'm just going to be using it to play some older games, for the convenience of not having to boot out of OS X, but it's not enough for me to justify the full price tag for it.

If they won't let me get it, I'll be ticked, but it's nothing earth-shattering. I can just use Boot Camp, and nab Parallels if it's in a bundle again later on. I came off a little too harsh in my OP since I failed to follow my "cool off before bitching about something" rule.
¡Damned!

2009-06-13, 08:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
I ran to get it and the URL is already dead.
They've extended the Spring Bundle until tomorrow at this link:

http://www.mupromo.com/springbundle.php

Last edited by 709 : 2009-06-13 at 08:13.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-06-13, 11:45

Quote:
Hi Donald,

The bundle has always been planned to end on Friday June 12 (although some of our banner ads originally said June 10). I'm not sure how you saw 5 days left 2 days ago... but having said all that, you're in luck because we decided to extend the bundle through the weekend!

http://www.mupromo.com/springbundle.php

Enjoy! :-)

-Misha
Woo! Just got that reply as well. I just jumped on it, so I'm good.

I have to admit, I'm impressed I got an email reply on a Saturday morning. I figured I'd be sitting until Monday before I got a response.
ime_NY

2009-06-15, 22:12

Just curious as to who else purchased the bundle.

I bought it for parallels and NoteBook, but so far I've only tried RipIt and Multiplex. Like both so far
¡Damned!

2009-06-15, 22:29

I bought it around the first few days, and picked up a couple extra apps (though what they were exactly escapes me at the moment) for buying early.

Also picked up Episode yesterday at a 40% discount.

I'm going to have to check the MUpromos more often, as they seem to be offering some decent stuff.

So it goes.