User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Next iMacs? Price drops?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Will their be a price drop in the imac?
Yes 7 25.00%
No 21 75.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Next iMacs? Price drops?
MacDude15

2005-01-20, 21:08

The Imac g5 has been out for a while now. When can we expect an update to this system and is their any chance is a price drop?

Also, you can buy refurbished imacs from Apple, is it like buying a brand new one?
Zodiac
Shiny, Musky, Fleshy Member

2005-01-20, 21:10

There is a very slim chance of price drop.

And usually not. But only aesthetically usually.
defaultmike

2005-01-20, 21:21

it'll be a lil while til the new iMacs comes out. I'd say maybe at april... maybe.
I'm hoping for the update to go not only to a 2.0, but to a 2.3 and 2.0 respectively, and for the GPU to be seriously upgraded, with a nice BTO option....
mass_transit_prophet

2005-01-20, 21:32

I know its consumer level...but come on. GeForce FX5200. Jiminy Cricket!

Though, right now I am contemplating buying an iMac G5 over the non-updated Powerbook G4. At this rate it'll be April when BOTH units get upgraded.

Imagine this: a 2.0 17", a 2.3 20", and...the new 2.3 23"!!! That would be worth the wait..and even a price increase.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-01-21, 01:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass_transit_prophet
I know its consumer level...but come on. GeForce FX5200. Jiminy Cricket!
I know people moan about it on these boards, but why? Really - as a probable buyer of the iMac within the next 6 months - I am curious what people think is wrong with the GeForce FX5200.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
FallenFromTheTree

2005-01-22, 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney
I know people moan about it on these boards, but why? Really - as a probable buyer of the iMac within the next 6 months - I am curious what people think is wrong with the GeForce FX5200.
Do you believe is long term relationships?

The iMac G5's GPU is soldered in place, so you may want to give that some consideration.

The 64MB is O.K. for basic use, but a 128MB would be far better if you plan any heavy graphics work.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-22, 16:09

And it's also to make room for better video cards on the lower-end machines. I mean, if the iMac G5 has a just-adequate FX5200, what about the cheaper eMac, mini and iBook? They're stuck with the less-than-adequate (i.e. no CoreImage, unable to drive high resolutions, choppy in Exposé) Radeon 9200 with a pathetic 32 MB of VRAM. Give the iMac G5 a better video card so the other machines can get the FX5200.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-01-22, 23:16

O.K., thanks. But what is holding Apple back from upgrading the GPU? Surely the price difference could not be that great - for them. Maybe some sort of corporate tied-selling deal. Certainly their iMac G5 ads try to sell the speed of the FX 5200. Weird, if it is so obviously false.

thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-01-22, 23:44

chinney, you are most likely in my boat...you would love the iMac G5 and probably never notice any "lack" in ability of the graphics card....but...

if i get an iMac G5 (and i will surely someday soon--less than a year with rev B) i will keep that computer for at least 5 to 7 years...and i would want it to be as top of the line as possible so it "feels" fresh as long as possible...64 mb is fine for me for now and for even a couple of years, but i'm not sure about 4 years from now...

though even then i would likely be ok as i don't play games (or nothing more complicated than jeweltoy, snood or solitare)

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-01-23, 10:34

g That pretty much describes my situation, on all points. And I guess I will wait for rev.b, as you suggest. The problem is I don't know when rev. b is likely, and I am starting to have itchy fingers. I've already 'built' my new iMac on the Apple store site, and was one click away from ordering when I regained self-control.

Must...stay...away...from...Apple...store...online . Must...stay...away...from...Apple...store...online .
Must...stay...away...from...Apple...store...online .