Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Thinking of Selling PBG4 15"

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Thinking of Selling PBG4 15"
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-12-21, 08:55

I have a PowerBook G4 1.25GHz SuperDrive / Backlit keyboard model that I picked up in 9/2003. It's still completely stock, with 80GB HD, 512MB RAM, BT/AE, and the afore mentioned SuperDrive & backlit keyboard.

The screen was replaced last August due to the yummy white spots issue that infected the initial batch(es) of these computers. Since the replacement, no spots have shown themselves.

I was thinking of asking $1800 for it, which would include everything that came with it, plus the Student/Teacher Edition of Office v.X. I'm talking the actual Office package with the real CD, Getting Started pamphlet and three serial numbers (in other words, the real deal, not just "installed on the drive"). Also I would throw in the Panther CDs since I bought this PowerBook when Jaguar was still the rage.

I'd also throw in a Rev. A 802.11b UFO base station (one ENet & one MODEM jack). I picked this up in 2/2001 when I bought my TiBook.

What do you guys think? Is $1800 too much? Too little? Just right?

[edit]
I'm only considering selling this because since I got my 20" iMac G5 my laptop has basically been a dust collector.

[edit2]
There is no warranty left on this unit (i.e. no AppleCare) but is in good condition.

Last edited by bassplayinMacFiend : 2004-12-21 at 09:01.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-21, 10:10

I was thinking that might be too LITTLE to ask, but, then again, what do I know? Check on eBay and PM murbot!

They've been revved just once, right, in this entire time (up to 1.5GHz)?

BTW, you have the same exact model I have, and bought yours a month before I bought mine...which is maybe why I'm lobbying hard for the "$1800 is much too low, right? RIGHT?!?!" angle.

If I sold mine, I'd hope to get a smidge more for it (mine does have two more years of AppleCare coverage - 'til October 2006 - so that's worth something).
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-12-21, 10:52

I can't imagine AppleCare not translating into a higher selling price. I just wanted to get a feel if I could get the 1,800 because at this point selling for less would hurt too much. At least I got it with an edu discount (and I've owned it for longer than a year so I'm off the hook with Apple in regards to sale of equipment purchased on edu discount). Still, that would be a 500 hit on the PBG4, plus the cost of Office & UFO base station (was 300 when I got it).

Thanks for your input.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2004-12-21, 12:30

I can't help with pricing info, being based in Finland, but I'm also selling my 1.33GHz Combo 15" PB soonish, hopefully before the next ones are announced and definitely before the warranty runs out. I expect the computer to sell better when it's still under warranty, and I don't want to pay for the next years' Applecare myself.

Along with the laptop I need to get rid of a Brenthaven backpack and an extra 512MB stick of memory.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-12-21, 14:23

Powermax.com had used pbooks just like yours for $2000, I was thinking about selling mine(same thing just with a combo drive) for $1900 or so, maybe $1800 if I was selling to a friend of forumite or something. The only issue with my book is cosmetic related, some minor pitting on the palm rest and a small dent in the side by the PC slot. But it still functions fine, so the aesthetics might knock it down a little on the resell value, I should still do all right.

edit: powermax.com actually has one just like yours, used, for $2149
link

The thing is, you may get upto $2000 now, but next month you'll be lucky to get $1800, cause it's pretty much a given that new powerbooks are coming out, and if they are a big step forward, then your book will lose quite a bit of worth.

so you can spend $2500 on a new book now, where you can probably get used for $2200 or $2300, so logically it would be $1900-2000 for our rev used. So don't feel like it's TOO high, if you want to get top dollar.

Last edited by Wrao : 2004-12-21 at 14:31.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-12-21, 14:53

Thanks for your input, Wrao.

I know the PowerBook updates are coming (MWSF?) so mine (and your) would definitely lose value once the new ones are announced. If I could find an honest to goodness use for it I wouldn't even consider selling it (it's teh sexay!) but like I said, it's a dust collector at the moment.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2004-12-23, 15:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
If I could find an honest to goodness use for it I wouldn't even consider selling it (it's teh sexay!) but like I said, it's a dust collector at the moment.
Remote recording rig?
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-12-23, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Remote recording rig?
I have a TASCAM 788 multitrack hard drive recorder just for this purpose. Yes my PowerBook can be (and has been in the past) used as a remote recording rig but unless I wanted to spend at least twice as much as I paid for my 788 for a firewire I/O box + Logic/Express I'm limited to two tracks on the PowerBook.

Believe me, I want to keep it, I just need to concretely justify its existence. I appreciate your idea though. Maybe Asteroid/GarageBand '05 will be such an awesome combination I'll just have to go that route but unless Asteroid/GB '05 can record at least 6 tracks simultaneously I'll have to stick with my 788.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-12-30, 14:56

I've decided to hold onto my PowerBook for now. I'm sure I can find some use for it.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-12-30, 15:45

I have the same as yours, except I think I'd be lucky to get $1800.

I opted not to get the superdrive although I have 1.25GB of RAM in it. I have some of those deterioration spots caused by sweat on the palm rest area. Besides a small scratch or two on the bottom, it's perfect.

Good luck.