polvoronn

2005-05-17, 15:25

options:
- iMac 20" CAD 2199.99
pros: 20" screen, cheap, huge HD
cons: single processor, superdrive not as fast
- Powermac DP 2.0GHz CAD $2499.99
pros: FAST, DP, expandable*, faster FSB, looks cool
cons: I have a crappy monitor and no money for a cinema display, a little more expensive, 90GBs less than iMac

uses:
- replace current desktop for IM, internet, music (I have an iPod-p), and tv episodes I download from bittorrent
- a little photoshop here and there
- I want to get into video editing with FCP
- I want to make my own DVDs with DVD Studio

background:
- current running a 933 p3, 30gb, 256mb at home
- *I have NEVER upgraded any of my computers nor have I felt a great desire to
- worked with a G4 during spring break to make a dvd and immediately decided to switch. only downside was waiting 4 hours for it to render a 38 minute video
- looked at a 15" PB, but decided it was too slow and too costly

soooooo .... I was wondering whether the powermac is such a significant advantage over the iMac that I should spend the extra $300. I've been looking for side-by-side comparisons but have found nothing. Again, I've never felt the need to upgrade any of my computers. I also understand that I could spend the extra cash saved from the iMac to buy extra ram.

help!
Mister Black

2005-05-17, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by polvoronn
I've never felt the need to upgrade any of my computers. I also understand that I could spend the extra cash saved from the iMac to buy extra ram.
Based on your expected usage and the fact that you don't feel a big need to upgrade beyond some more ram it sounds like the imac is the computer for you.

However, if you get the imac you're stuck with that display for all intents and purposes. Also you're stuck with the video card it comes with, and you're stuck with the optical drive that it comes with. But if you're not planning to upgrade much, no big deal; one of my favorite features of the G4 imac is that it used a standard sized tray load optical drive, which allowed me to switch my old 2x "superdrive" with a nice 16x dual layer burner on the cheep. Such is the price of miniaturization i suppose.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-05-17, 15:51

Even though I can't stand All In Ones (AIO's), iMac and eMac, it sounds like the iMac might be what you are looking for.
Just remember that you have almost no upgradeability.

If you really get into making videos and DVD's the extra processor in the PM wil l pay for itself very quickly. And you can add a sound card, firewire cards, and other video input cards in a PM. You can't do that in an iMac. Oh yeah, you can't (that I know of) get an iMac to use more than 1 monitor. I use 3 with my PM.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-05-17, 16:26

It depends how much video editing you want to do - it's very processor intensive and best suited to a PM. If it's going to be minimal then an iMac is what you need.
holbox

2005-05-17, 17:13

Sounds like the iMac is for you.

But, God, I DO love my PowerMac. I doubt that I'll ever upgrade it, but I do think I'll fix this Baby when it needs it. It's a hellofa fine machine.
polvoronn

2005-05-17, 21:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Josef
If it's going to be minimal then an iMac is what you need.
How minimal are we talking about here?

And thanks for the replies guys. Keep 'em coming. I had another question: with the assumption that each computer comes with the same packaged software, approximately how much room does all that software take up out of the box?
Mister Black

2005-05-17, 22:38

They don't give you the retail packages of all the included software if that's what you're asking. You get all the discs in a packet with the instruction manual.
Stevuh

Send a message via AIM to Stevuh  
2005-05-17, 23:18

There is nothing wrong with the iMac's single proc. my PB 15" still runs fine though a bit slower than it used to when it comes to DSP and FCP. But my 1.25 G4 still is kicking some serious ass in terms of that kinda thing. The iMac will last at least 3-4 years for editing and burning, Just make sure you load it with as much RAM as you can afford.

the PM is IDEAL for the job you want to do, but under the circumstances i can't say don't get the iMac. the iMac looks to be your machine of choice.

HTH

"History will be kind to me because i intend to write it" -- Winston Churchill

I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter. -- Winston Churchill
polvoronn

2005-05-18, 13:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Black
They don't give you the retail packages of all the included software if that's what you're asking. You get all the discs in a packet with the instruction manual.
Sorry, I was a little ambiguous. I meant (assuming the software is preinstalled) how much harddrive space does the software take up?
CobaltFire

Send a message via AIM to CobaltFire  
2005-05-18, 13:49

Take a look at the apple store refurbished stuff (just search for refurbished, or there is a link on the left side by the little "Save" pic). They currently have Dual 2.5GHz PM's for $2299 US, or Dual 1.8GHz PM's for $1499 US. Just a thought.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-05-18, 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by polvoronn
How minimal are we talking about here?
It depends entirely on you - the iMac is going to be slower but if you're not editing 24/7 you may be OK - suggest you compare and contrast both machines at an Apple store to see what you're comfortable with.
Beed

2005-05-20, 00:43

Get the PM duel its blazing fast. Put at least 2gb ram and you won't be sorry

remember always go pro so you have to wait for slooooooooow
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-05-20, 00:55

ummm ... so you *don't* have to wait for slow - perhaps?