User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

HELP Office Mac 2004 student teacher Ed

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
HELP Office Mac 2004 student teacher Ed
coconut wireless

2005-08-19, 04:22

I am looking to install Office mac 2004 student teacher Ed onto my iMac G-4.
I am currently running Microsoft Office X which essentially is just Word X and not any other office applications. My questions is will I lose my current word documents when I install the Office MAC.

If I were to pull the word documents out to the desktop and then I install Office mac can I put the documents back into the new addition of word when office mac is finished installing?

I am also using the apple mail program "Mail" and want to know if I install entourage will I lose the current mailbox?

Aloha
coconut wireless
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-08-19, 05:13

your word documents will not be lost.

your mail will be imported to entourage

just make sure your word documents are located outside of the Office X folder if you plan on deleting that folder.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-08-19, 11:02

I'd suggest looking into getting a book about OS X too since you seem like you might need some basic guidance on how things work. It's not a knock at all, we've gotta start somewhere.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
coconut wireless

2005-08-19, 13:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of the 'nut
your word documents will not be lost.

your mail will be imported to entourage

just make sure your word documents are located outside of the Office X folder if you plan on deleting that folder.
thanks so much for your reply.
I wasn't going to delete the folder but thought the new program might copy over it? So if I drag the "my files" (word documents folder) to the desktop during installation it should be o.k.? and then after installation drag the folder back into the new word file? do I have an option of importing those files back into the new word program if it is on the desktop? or would the new program automatically import them if I leave them in the old program? Probably not making myself very clear. what I am asking is how do I get the old word docs into the new program without losing them?
I'm not sure I want to change the mail program. would installation of office mac automatically write over the apple program? or would it leave it in tact ?
coconut wireless
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-08-19, 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconut wireless
thanks so much for your reply.
I wasn't going to delete the folder but thought the new program might copy over it? So if I drag the "my files" (word documents folder) to the desktop during installation it should be o.k.? and then after installation drag the folder back into the new word file? do I have an option of importing those files back into the new word program if it is on the desktop? or would the new program automatically import them if I leave them in the old program? Probably not making myself very clear. what I am asking is how do I get the old word docs into the new program without losing them?
I'm not sure I want to change the mail program. would installation of office mac automatically write over the apple program? or would it leave it in tact ?
coconut wireless

hmm...
1. yes, drag the "my files" folder you have containing your documents out of the office folder. I would suggest placing that folder in your actual documents folder as there is no requirement to have it in your Office folder itself and it's somewhat safer to have it in your documents folder
2. Office for Mac installs by dragging the Office folder off a CD and into your applications folder. So it won't replace the older version. But you are free to delete the older version on your own.
3. You don't have to import your documents back into Word. A Word document is just that, a document. When you want to use it, open it and it will open in Word. You won't have lost anything. Your documents will always be available since they are in a seperate folder outside of the Office folder and Applications.
4. You can use Mail instead. Entourage is optional. I use Mail instead. Just don't open Entourage after its installed and you'll be fine. And even if you do open it, it will not overwrite anythiing