User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Advice on five good stocks to buy, please?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Advice on five good stocks to buy, please?
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-09-17, 18:31

Edit for January, 2013:

Note that this thread started in 2008. I can hardly believe it has been so long ago. Back then, I had a diversified portfolio, as is generally recommended. But eventually, I became disgusted with all of my holdings and turned more and more into Apple. *Before* the recent fall from $700, the worth of my Apple shares had increased by 475% and I had planned to leave my investments in Apple for a good long while. But now, of course, we all know what has happened, and though I haven't sold any of my Apple shares yet, I suppose that will happen, and I will need other stocks to buy.

I suppose jcoley would give the same advice as before, if he is still posting here these days, to buy ETFs. I am grateful for any advice, and I have looked into ETFs from time to time. I like stocks that I can buy and leave, without managing them. I expect them to go up and down, but as long as the main trend is *up*, I'm okay with leaving them to do their thing over the long haul (say, five years). I saw comments about a stock called Synageva BioPharma recently, which apparently has been up 19% of late. Anyone know anything about that one?

The comments below were made back in 2008. And btw, if the advice you gave then is *not* what you would say now, please let us know. By the same token, if your advice turned out well, and if you would still give the same recommendations, please let us know that too. Thanks.

************************************************** *******************************************

Well, with the market crashing every other day, I'd like to know of five or six stocks that are good, and likely to remain so, even if they are really down in price right now. That's the whole point, of course, to buy good stocks when the price is low.

I first got into the market a decade ago when there was a 500-point decline. That's exactly when I like to buy. So, if you don't mind, I'd like to know of some stocks that you think will do well over the next few years, despite the turmoil in the market at present.

Some people are very secretive about recommending good stocks. I hope at least some of you aren't that way.

What do you think of stocks like Amazon and Costco? I was hoping to be ready with some stocks all nicely researched for when the bottom dropped out of the market; but I'm not ready at the moment. So that's why I am asking *you* for some possible suggestions... five or six stocks that are likely to do well over the next few years. And if you wouldn't mind, please explain why you think they are good and likely to grow.

Thank you so much for any ideas.

Last edited by Windswept : 2013-01-20 at 18:11.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2008-09-17, 18:35

AAPL.

I may be a bit biased, but I saw it's under $130 right now, and I'm guessing it's undervalued at the moment. It's done nothing but grow over the past 3 years while I've watched, and I honestly see no signs of that changing. The success of their products seems to be surprisingly unaffected by overall economic trends.

EDIT: I guess I should have read the whole post first. I just saw "looking for stocks" and relayed my thoughts on AAPL from earlier today.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.

Last edited by Windswept : 2013-01-20 at 18:09.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-09-17, 18:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfGed View Post
AAPL.

I may be a bit biased, but I saw it's under $130 right now, and I'm guessing it's undervalued at the moment. It's done nothing but grow over the past 3 years while I've watched, and I honestly see no signs of that changing. The success of their products seems to be surprisingly unaffected by overall economic trends.

EDIT: I guess I should have read the whole post first. I just saw "looking for stocks" and relayed my thoughts on AAPL from earlier today.
I may buy Apple. I'm still smarting for not buying when it fell to $115 some months back.
¡Damned!

2008-09-17, 18:59

I've been watching Sprint/Nextel lately, and right now it's looking to me like a good time to buy. The stock is about as low as it's going to get IMO, and they have some interesting things coming up like the new HTC phones, Android (kind-of) and a pretty new CEO that seems driven to turn the company around. Worst-case is that they get bought out in a couple years, and I can't imagine the stock getting any lower than it is today ($5.79). In fact, I'll go out on a limb and predict at least $10 a share by years end (although that's waaaay out on a limb, I'm sticking to it. )

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2008-09-17 at 19:09.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2008-09-17, 19:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
I may buy Apple. I'm still smarting for not buying when it fell to $115 some months back.
I'm still smarting from not buying late in 2005 when it was around $35 per share.

Then again, I was working at IBM and those days and didn't have much expendable cash. Still don't actually, since I just came off being a student and am finally working full time. Also, I hit my 1000th post with my earlier one. It's uncannily fitting that I'm talking about AAPL with it. Well, at least for anyone who has followed my life's goings-on since I was at IBM back in 2005.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2008-09-17, 20:07

Perhaps a manufacturer of solar panels, such as JASO or SOLF?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2008-09-17, 20:35

Natural gas and pipeline companies. El Paso and Petroleo Brasileiro are two that come to mind.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2008-09-17, 20:52

Believe it or not some of the best stocks to buy right now are financials - the dividends on some of these are enormous yield-wise.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2008-09-17, 20:55

Windswept, hold on there. Do NOT buy just fives stocks unless (1) you are a professional portfolio manager and (2) you are going to do the research and constantly manage them.

My suggestion is to buy low cost no load funds or better yet, ETFs, in sectors/areas you like. If you want for instance to buy large cap US stocks, by SPYs.

That being said, scale in your purchases. Personally I am in cash (have been since June 2007) and still do not see a sign that a bottom has been made. I am still waiting.

When I jump, I will buy mostly SPYs and some QQQQs.

Just my two cents.

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-05-19, 09:18

I know this is an old thread, but I thought i'd bump it rather than start a new one.

With Palm announcing that the Pre is going on sale on June 6th, I was wondering if it would make sense to pick up some shares of Palm now and hope that it goes up in the next few weeks.

It's currently hovering around $11. I should have bought in back in december when it was at ~3, but I didn't. I was wondering what some of the more financially experienced people here thought.

I have around $5600 tied up in AAPL right now, but I was thinking of selling it to buy the Palm shares. Good idea in the short term? and then get back in AAPL next month before the next iPHone is announced?

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
noleli2

2009-05-19, 12:49

I think that's the kind of situation where you have to be very willing to accept the downside.

I could see doing something like buying 10 shares for not much more than $100. If it's a hit and shares go to 40 and you make a huge profit; if not, PALM will probably fold, so there goes your $100.

I did a similar thing with BGP a few months ago. Bought 100 shares at $0.65 each, being fulling willing to lose my $65. Shares are hovering around 2.40, so I made a couple-hundred bucks.

I'm also thinking about doing the same with GM; my F is up nearly 130% from the $2.47 I bought at.

So many good deals out there….
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2009-05-19, 22:26

RDSA, or any big petrochemical company. Dividends are always good and shares are undervalued.

IMO Palm is over... Buying now is risky, as has been said already.
My friends already made out like bandits on Palm when I recommended buying a while back.

Any UK bank. The same reason as for RDSA.

APPL, although it would have been better to buy a while back. They are around $130 now, but should reach $180 eventually.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-05-19, 22:31

I wish I would have been paying attention back in December with re: to Palm. I would definitely have put some money in there.

I guess I missed the boat on that one.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
scratt
Veteran Member

2009-05-19, 22:33

Don't kick yourself too much.. I didn't take my own advice on Palm either!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-05-20, 03:40

Friend of mine bought into CBI (Chicago Bridge & Iron) at almost its lowest point a month or so ago ($5.xx in early March). It's now back up over $10. It's a very old company and I doubt it's in danger of going out of business. After all, they survived the Great Depression.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-05-20, 08:55

No way in hell I would advise buying individual stocks right now unless you have the time to dedicate to managing the portfolio. Still way too volatile out there. Unless of course you have money burning holes in your pockets...

...into the light of a dark black night.
scratt
Veteran Member

2009-05-20, 09:04

Hmm.. But the thing is there are certain bullet proof stocks out there that can only go up.
Putting my money where my mouth is. Any of the big oil companies. Conversely banks should, but I would not bet my life on it.. So perhaps avoid those.

But those that are very good investments right now, people should take advantage of with spare cash IMO. Certainly not with cash they may need in a hurry. But as long as you can leave that money there for 12 months or more you should be fine. Again, IMO.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'

Last edited by scratt : 2009-05-20 at 09:18.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2009-05-20, 09:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
Hmm.. But the thing is there are certain bullet proof stocks out there that can only go up.
Putting my money where my mouth is. Any of the big oil companies. Conversely banks should, but I would not bet my life on it.. So perhaps avoid those.
Well, not just any. Some currently have some issues that should make investors wary. Valero and ConocoPhilips should probably be avoided if you want to mitigate risk. Shell and ExxonMobil are always safe though.
scratt
Veteran Member

2009-05-20, 10:03

Fair enough. I should have been clearer. Valero and ConocoPhilips I would not expect to be put in the same league as BP, Shell or ExxonMobil. But I guess that is not blindingly obvious.

Windswept
On Pacific time

2011-12-07, 20:26

*BUMP*

I was glancing over a list of older threads and noticed this one from 2008/2009. Not sure if anyone is doing much buying in the market these days, with the whole Eurozone thing going on and other assorted international crises. But... just thought I'd see if anyone has any current opinions about buying, selling, holding or converting wholly to cash?

Question:

If a person wants to put some of their money into income-producing financial products, what would you recommend? Is there anything that would produce an actual cash income for the investor in the 8% (or more) per year range, where the principal sits there and the investor just receives income from the interest each month or every few months? Thanks for any ideas/advice.
JohnnyTheA

2011-12-07, 21:58

8% might be tough unless you want Italian debt or something else risky. Try Regulated ulilities like southern company (ticker: so). They pay just under 5 % and are pretty safe. Maybe a utility fund.. There is still risk with these though. If interest rates go way up, these type of income stocks go down. You still get your dividend, but if you want to sell...
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2011-12-08, 09:55

Yea, utilities are the best income producing stocks; mostly because they're also quite safe, being government sanctioned monopolies and all.

As far as buying, I haven't changed my 401(k) contributions in the slightest. It's all about dollar cost averaging.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-12-08, 11:51

REITs!

I'm collecting at least 15% dividends on a handful of them, including AGNC, CYS, IVR, MCGC, and RSO.

DYODD

I was always afraid of these, but my dad has been investing in these for many years now. I finally decided I was leaving money on the table by not picking some up for myself.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2013-01-20, 18:18

January, 2013:

Note that this thread started in 2008. I can hardly believe it has been so long ago. Back then, I had a diversified portfolio, as is generally recommended. But eventually, I became disgusted with all of my holdings and turned more and more into Apple. *Before* the recent fall from $700, the worth of my Apple shares had increased by 475% and I had planned to leave my investments in Apple for a good long while. But now, of course, we all know what has happened, and though I haven't sold any of my Apple shares yet, I suppose that will happen, and I will need other stocks to buy.

I suppose jcoley would give the same advice as before, if he is still posting here these days, to buy ETFs. I am grateful for any advice, and I have looked into ETFs from time to time. I like stocks that I can buy and leave, without managing them. I expect them to go up and down, but as long as the main trend is *up*, I'm okay with leaving them to do their thing over the long haul (say, five years). I saw comments about a stock called Synageva BioPharma recently, which apparently has been up 19% of late. Anyone know anything about that one?

The comments above my current post in this thread were made back in 2008. And btw, if the advice you gave then is *not* what you would say now, please let us know. By the same token, if your advice turned out well, and if you would still give the same recommendations, please let us know that too. Thanks so very much.