AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Please Don't Trust Us, Inc®

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Please Don't Trust Us, Inc®
Page 6 of 8 First Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  Next Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-09-09, 13:35

The good news is that there will be lots of laugh-moments, since people falling off cliffs will have their FB glasses on all the way down.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-09, 14:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Basically. Via your phone an bluetooth I'm sure, but I didn't read the specs. Probably can live stream too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
The good news is that there will be lots of laugh-moments, since people falling off cliffs will have their FB glasses on all the way down.
Exactly what I was thinking.

"Bro, I'm on top of this dam and I'm going to walk on this railing...".

Please do.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-09-09, 14:59

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-20, 08:25

Epik hack exposed data on 15M email addresses.
Quote:
Data breach monitoring service HaveIBeenPwned has now begun sending out alerts to millions of email addresses exposed in the Epik hack. The service's founder, Troy Hunt, is one of the many impacted by the data breach but who "had absolutely nothing to do with Epik."
As right leaning as I am, I actually had nothing to do with Epik and yet my email was notified that it was included in the breach. Apparently there was a WHOIS scrape as part of this. So at some point I had my email in a WHOIS and Epik had it in their records. I'd love to know what address went with it in the WHOIS.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-21, 16:16

I'm seriously considering reverting to pigeons...augmented with smoke signals.

But I'm sure someone would find a way to mess that up too.

I wasn't paying attention at first and thought it was that game/lawsuit company, but I notice the spelling is different. Never heard of them.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-09-21, 19:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I'm seriously considering reverting to pigeons...augmented with smoke signals.

But I'm sure someone would find a way to mess that up too.

I wasn't paying attention at first and thought it was that game/lawsuit company, but I notice the spelling is different. Never heard of them.
They're the web host of last resort for the far-right. When Amazon et al refuse to host your content, you head to Epik.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-09-21, 19:33

Quote:
All these restaurants - fast food and sitdown alike - all have these programs and points and apps and stuff to sign up for (with all your info).

How about, instead, just shut up and give me a hamburger or burrito without all the fuss and production, and wanting to “know” me? I don’t participate/belong to any of those things, but I still get asked or shilled on it at places.

With the way so many of these outfits are dropping the ball, I’m not about to sign up for your Burger Baron Rewards Bonanza, with my name, address, phone number and email kept so carelessly and winding up who-knows-where.

I just want food. I don’t need to be a points-earning, app-tracked TacoTitan or whatever. I give you $5, you (without any marketing pitch or canned spiel) hand me some food. That’s as far as it needs to go, honestly.
Those showed up everywhere here in 2018/19, but they seem to have quietly disappeared at lots of smaller places. The chains etc still have them (and presumably their corporate motherships have the IT chops to actually run those programs) but the local places have given up AFAICT. One of the coffee places I go to gave up on the fancy system and just went back to a "buy 10 coffees get 1 free" old-fashioned punch card.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-21, 19:42

You can’t go wrong with those. I used to have one of those from Blimpie’s subs…get eight stamps/punches, get a free 6” sub. No email, phone numbers, etc. involved. Just a little card I kept in my wallet.

The Colonel and Ronald don’t need to know anything about me.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-09-25, 22:28

Quote:
You can’t go wrong with those. I used to have one of those from Blimpie’s subs…get eight stamps/punches, get a free 6” sub. No email, phone numbers, etc. involved. Just a little card I kept in my wallet.

The Colonel and Ronald don’t need to know anything about me.
Especially a local place. They know their regulars, and not based on their credit card data.

If the bartender at my usual place asks me about my vacation after having been gone for a bit, it's endearing. If I step through the golden arches and a life-size Ronald McDonald mannequin asked the same, I'd have to come back to the place with a can of gasoline and a book of matches.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-28, 16:24

Amazon in general... but more specifically all the products they just released to bring true surveillance into your home.

Sure the robot following you around sounds nice, and the drone patrolling your home... wait, what? Oh hell no!

There is so much more but I'm not going to actually link to all the articles. What amazes me is the seemingly high demand for this!?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-28, 17:21

I saw that earlier. I’m sure none of that will go sideways or result in anything weird or intrusive.

Anyone buying that “robot” deserves everything that happens as a result.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-10, 18:49

While most of us knew this, Visio makes money on advertising, not selling TVs. In fact, this year it made more than double the money in advertising (Platform+) than it did selling hardware.. Much like printers, the hardware isn't the money maker.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-10, 19:17

Yep. Spy on the user, sell them to the ab-user.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-12-03, 10:22

Oh great, Apple's helping criminals steal my car.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-03, 10:40

The funny thing is, most Apple devices now notify you when there is a trackable device following you. I get notified all the time for my kids' AirPods and and iPads. I know they are following me so I would assume it would work with AirTags too.

Of course, that assumes the vehicle owner uses Apple devices. Not sure how the feature works with an Android and which version of Android it would work for.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-03, 10:51

I thought these things were supposed to pop up and alert you if one was in your vicinity/moving with you, that isn’t registered/belonging to you, to prevent stuff like this (and stalking).

But if you don’t have an iPhone (I suppose there are a handful of high-end car owners who, for whatever reason, don’t) then you could be tracked this way without ever realizing?

Are these people doing additional front-end research to make sure they’re attaching them to the cars of people without iPhones? Or would an Android-based phone also receive some sort of “strange tracker detected nearby…is this yours?” alert?

Point is, there isn’t anything in the world that shitheads and lowlifes can’t/won’t corrupt or use in a bad, wrong or shady way.

The day these things were announced the first thing that crossed my mind was “the thieves, stalkers and creepsters of the world will all get a kick out of these, and use them in ways Apple would never advertise”.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-12-03, 10:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
I thought these things were supposed to pop up and alert you if one was in your vicinity/moving with you, that isn’t registered/belonging to you, to prevent stuff like this (and stalking).
Yes.

Quote:
But if you don’t have an iPhone (I suppose there are a handful of high-end car owners who, for whatever reason, don’t) then you could be tracked this way without ever realizing?
I'm not quite sure how that works. I think you can manually read an AirTag from an Android phone (probably because it sends an NFC signal that pops up as a text on Android?), but that probably requires knowing the tag exists.

Quote:
Are these people doing additional front-end research to make sure they’re attaching them to the cars of people without iPhones? Or would an Android-based phone also receive some sort of “strange tracker detected nearby…is this yours?” alert?
I think the problem is that Android doesn't really know to scan for these.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-12-03, 10:54

Tomorrow's news headline:

Apple to Android users: Buy an iPhone or risk losing your expensive car!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-03, 12:16

LOL

So, Airtags are being used in auto theft rings.

Apple is asking for perhaps the single largest consumer lawsuit in history. These stupid things are going to come back to bite them in a very nasty way.

And, yes, I know there are other trackers out there, but those companies haven't got the money that Apple has.

So, are airTags a solution in search of a problem, or a problem in search of a solution?

For me, they are the latter. They are a very big problem about to rear its head, whether in the manner cited above, or the first time a woman or little kid is tracked, raped, and murdered with help from the silly things.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-03, 12:25

I think they may turn out to be a problem in search of a problem, big picture. I can see them going the way of the iPod Hi-Fi in the coming years.

Is their stated purpose truly a pressing, needed thing? I don’t believe so. Distracted laziness can be overcome without paying for extra tech to keep one from losing their keys, purse, backpack or suitcase. People have done so for decades and decades. I realize, in the second decade of the 21st century, everyone's got their own head up their ass 24/7 with all their gadgets, gizmos and other "distractions"...but come on.

To me it’s been one of those “just because you can doesn’t mean you have to” things.

If kids aren’t swallowing the batteries, then people are having their stuff stolen. Just from the “more potential headache than it’s worth” front, I can see Apple eventually going “alright, enough of this…”.

And, yes…not because they’re the only company selling such things. But because they’re the 13,000-pound monkey in the room, with more money than God, selling such things.

I believe we’ve already seen how bonehead consumers, and billboard lawyers, like to make a snack out of Apple, any chance they get.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-03, 12:33

Yep!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-07, 10:59

Does this belong here?

Tile Buyer Life360 Selling Precise Location Data on Millions of Users

Nice of them to bridge that gap.

Quote:
Location tracking service Life360 has been selling the precise location data of tens of millions of its users, according to a new report shared by The Markup.

Life360 bills itself as a "family safety platform" app that is meant to allow family members to keep tabs on one another with tracking software that's installed on smartphones, and there are both Android and iPhone apps.

The software is used by 33 million people around the world, and apparently, Life360 is selling location data from both children and adults to a dozen data brokers that then provide the data to other third parties. Two former Life360 employees said that Life360 is one of the largest sources of data in the industry, expressing concern for how the data is used and the lack of safeguards to prevent misuse.
I bet their Twitter account is about to take it in the shorts.

"As someone who finds everything highly problematic, I find this news...highly problematic. #problematic #theinternettouchedmethere"
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-07, 12:02

Quote:
Does this belong here?
Yes, indeed it does.

And, shame on them, but that's where the money is.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-12-07, 12:16

Shocked, shocked I tell you! Nobody could have foreseen such an evil deed. Oh wait.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-08, 08:56

Verizon overrides users’ opt-out preferences in push to collect browsing history
Quote:
Verizon is automatically enrolling customers in a new version of a program that scans mobile users' browser histories—even when those same users previously opted out of the program when it had a different name.

The carrier announced changes to its "Verizon Selects" program along with a new name a few days ago. "Verizon Custom Experience Plus is the new name of our Verizon Selects program," Verizon said in an FAQ. Verizon is ignoring the previous opt-out preferences for at least some customers by enrolling them in "Custom Experience," which collects browser and app-usage history but doesn't use device location data and other personal information collected in "Custom Experience Plus."
So if you were a part of Verizon Selects and opted out of tracking you need to do it again. Nothing like changing out the details and name so you get what you want anyway.

I get that our information is valuable but this kind of thing strikes me more like stealing from me if I were to have opted out already. When I had Verizon I never signed up for Selects because the privacy issues. So glad I'm not with them now!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-08, 09:49

I hate that kind of thing. Just blatant disrespect and game-playing. So low-rent.

UPDATE: And right along those same lines, I just saw this at MacRumors:

Report: iOS Users Who Opt-Out of App Tracking Continue to Be Tracked by Facebook and Snapchat

I'd like to say/think "well, they're gonna keep doing this until everyone just says 'enough' and drops them completely". But I'm not that naive. Nobody ever says "enough" anymore (we wouldn't have half the silly shit going on in the world if so), and I know some people who'd rather lose a limb than not be on Facebook, so...

Quote:
"Loose" interpretations of Apple's privacy policies allow apps such as Facebook and Snapchat to continue tracking users for targeted advertising even when they have asked to not be tracked, The Financial Times reports.
It's just the principle of it all. If I ask for someone, in real life, not to do something (stop bringing up certain topics, flicking my ear, drinking from my cup, etc.) there are consequences if/when they refuse...a lost friendship, a punch in the nose, I completely destroy their reputation/standing in the solar system, etc. Whatever. That unspoken fear/threat keeps most people in line and not doing something you've asked them not to do. These companies don't have that. They just shift the goalposts, or re-word things or implement some new program/initiative under a different name, making where the customer has to stay informed and know when, and where, to go in to opt-out.

This is wrong.

If there were swift and certain consequences to their fuckery - the business/financial equivalent of a solid, well-deserved punch in the jaw that totally rewires/adjusts one's thinking/attitude immediately - they'd knock it off. Well, most would. I have my doubts about a few...

The default, across the board, should be "I'm opted out/leave me alone, unless I blatantly flip a switch to allow/agree to otherwise...until then, BUG OFF!" But these companies know most would never do so, so they have to do this shady, low-rent and underhanded stuff to get to you. We've seen it just three times this morning, from some big, known outfits.

That should speak volumes about who's who, who believes what, where priorities are, how some companies view you, etc.

And because all this stuff is intertwined with politicians and big political interests, realistically expecting Washington DC and lawmakers to "tackle the issue" is about the stupidest, most pie-eyed/fairytale thing a grown, reasonably-intelligent person could ever believe. I put my number on the Do Not Call registry back in summer of 2004; I get more telemarketing and bullcrap calls now than I ever have. Don't tell me that industry/practice couldn't be decimated, overnight, if the genuine will was there to do so.

Do we just have to start physically beating the sweet holy shit out of some of these CEOs and execs a few times a year until they come around? I'm not ruling that out.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-08 at 11:31.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-08, 12:04

None of this is going to end. The data is just too valuable, and the players will continue to skirt around the rules/laws wherever/whenever they can. And when they stop, the government will fill the void.

There is no winning.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-08, 12:07

Seems like it.

I guess the moral is "don't do/say things (or go places) on your phone that you wouldn't in real life".

Yeah, right...that's all an iPhone is good for, really.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-08, 13:48

I'm not shocked to see the tracking thing for FB and Snapchat. Really, it is their whole business model. To think, back in the day FB was integrated into the OS!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-15, 12:05

Wait. Did Apple listen?