User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Good technical apps question

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Good technical apps question
Joolz34

2005-11-07, 11:33

Hi, Im a recent switcher and one thing that Im curious about but havent managed to find too many recommendations or user experiences on are technical applications. By this I mean file recovery software, memory testing software (to test new RAM sticks) etc.

What Im interested in mainly:

File recovery software - something that will get files back from the hard disk and external disks, USB (if possible even NTFS so I can recover stuff from my wifes laptop). Whether formatted, deleted etc.

Hardware diagnostic software - Something like sisoft sandra that will run through various hardware tests, and freemem that will really test the RAM. Ive read that there are some apple hardware tests but I dont know how to get to them, I have the software restoration CDs, not a Tiger retail, could someone help me please?

Disk cloning software - carbon copy cloner seems to be the best option, is this true?

If any of you have any other recommendations for software of this nature please feel free to add them to this thread. It would be nice to have a kind of one stop place for "technical" apps as a counterpoint to the "cool osx apps" threads that are out there.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Joolz
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-11-07, 11:42

Carbon Copy Cloner is a good way to go to make exact copies. Usually I just copy my Home Folder(s) over w/ finder though.
rcs

2005-11-07, 13:32

superduper from shirt-pocket.com is a very good backup software. I personally think that superduper is a much better apps than CCC.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-11-07, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joolz34
File recovery software - something that will get files back from the hard disk and external disks, USB (if possible even NTFS so I can recover stuff from my wifes laptop). Whether formatted, deleted etc.
NTFS read support is there, so it'll be fine for recovery. Write support is not, as Microsoft refuses to give the specifications for NTFS.

For software, use SuperDuper!, Carbon Copy Cloner, Retrospect, RsyncX, etc.

Quote:
Hardware diagnostic software - Something like sisoft sandra that will run through various hardware tests, and freemem that will really test the RAM. Ive read that there are some apple hardware tests but I dont know how to get to them, I have the software restoration CDs, not a Tiger retail, could someone help me please?
Your Mac should have come with a Hardware Test CD, regardless of whether you have Tiger. It has a silver surface (i.e. not opaque) with some black writing on it, at least in my version (iBook 1.2.3, 2002).

TechTool Pro does various hardware tests, too, including, I believe, memory testing. Disk Warrior is considered the best solution for hard drive testing (and repairing).

Quote:
Disk cloning software - carbon copy cloner seems to be the best option, is this true?
I prefer SuperDuper!, but Carbon Copy Cloner has been around for long and is a good option.
kaseyha

2005-11-07, 14:56

I like this site, it has some good info, check out the FAQs:

http://www.thexlab.com/index.html
Joolz34

2005-11-08, 07:31

Thanks for the tips guys, what Im really interested in as well though is being able to recover data from disks that have been corrupted, formatted, deleted etc. Basically not just recovering files from backups.

For example I found this http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue_info.php but Id be interested to hear feedback from people who've used it.

Thanks,

Andrew
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-11-08, 09:20

As far as memory testing - Rember.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24508

Not sure on the data recovery, though the reviews on VersionTracker and MacUpdate for Data Rescue X seem to be positive.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/1133
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10259
intlplby
Veteran Member

2005-11-09, 01:28

i'll vouch for Data Resuce X.... but i wouldnt worry about getting it until you need it
Joolz34

2005-11-10, 08:16

Thats part of the problem though, you never know when you'll need it and when you do, you cant get it for love or for money

Any other recommendations? For example network monitoring software?

Thanks,

Joolz
Joolz34

2005-11-16, 10:46

Ive found a couple more that may be interesting for some

zterm : hyperterminal for OSX (http://homepage.mac.com/dalverson/zterm/) if anyone knows of a more updated version please let me know. Btw ssh is built into terminal so you dont really need an app for it.

I'll add more as I come across them