User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

how can I modify Return key to Enter key?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
how can I modify Return key to Enter key?
malcolm

2005-11-15, 15:51

Hi there,
Is there a way to modify (for my external keyboard only) my Return key to an Enter key? I'm using a great little app for transcribing interviews, but hitting Return doesn't move me down a line - - I have to hit the Enter key instead, and on my external keyboard, the Enter key is waaaay over to the right of the number pad.
I've tried uControl - - doesn't work.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
mh
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-15, 15:54

Out of curiosity, what is the application you're using for transcribing?
malcolm

2005-11-15, 16:56

It's called Transcriva, and I can't recommend it enough. Once you import your interview (from whatever source: I use Audio Hijack Pro to get it from a betacam SX player into my powerbook, and then import into Transcriva) you have total play/pause control, which automatically backtracks one or two or three seconds - - a big help to those of us who don't have photographic memories. You can also adjust playback speed, etc. etc.
It makes transcribing a lot faster, for me anyway. My only problem with it, as I say, is that I have to use the Enter (and not Return) key to go down a line.
Cheers,
mh
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-11-15, 17:59

Slightly off the wall solution (maybe). As your transcribing your text, instead of hitting return enter a character (or two) that are unlikely to type for real - eg, "^^". Once you are done, copy and paste your text into a better text editor and to a search/replace to swap all ^^'s for returns.

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-11-15, 18:05

On the PowerBook a fn+Return is equivalent to Enter ... have you tried any such key combos to see if they do the trick?
malcolm

2005-11-16, 09:33

thanks for the suggestions - - I'll try out the >> idea as soon as I can; re Function + Return, I don't seem to have a Function key on my external keyboard (which is the keyboard that's causing me problems).
cheers,
mh