Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Preview web designs in IE

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Preview web designs in IE
moosie99

2006-02-13, 11:14

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anybody could give me a solution for previewing my web design projects in Internet Explorer for Windows. I'm working on a Mac (obviously!) but I'd rather not buy a Windows system to preview in IE. I was wondering if Microsoft's Virtual PC would let me do this? I appreciate it's an expensive product and performance is poor but I don't need it for much more than taking a look in Internet Explorer.

At the moment I'm asking friends to preview the site for me on their Windows machines! Any suggestions? My CSS could probably be better but it all looks great in nearly every browser for the Mac, but then a friend sends me a screenshot of the site in IE on Windows and it's all I can do not to cry!

I'd be really grateful for any suggestions anyone can give me! Are there any designers here who have problems with CSS and Internet Explorer?

The link to the site in question is here > http://www.inspirat.co.uk/hosting/rumbumptious if anyone wants to take a look.

Thanks!
jondaapplegeek

Send a message via MSN to jondaapplegeek Send a message via Skype™ to jondaapplegeek 
2006-02-13, 11:24

Virtual PC would do this, but a 2nd hand cheap laptop would probably be a much easier+ better idea.

Just a side note, I like idea of the menu, but it gets a bit annoying as you have to go over each one to find the menu option you want. Just my thoughts..

Jon Hole
http://www.jonhole.co.uk
15" PowerBook G4 Combo, 1GB RAM
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-02-13, 11:28

I use my old Celeron 700 PC desktop for testing my site in various IE versions. Virtual PC will lag up on more intensive programs, but just running IE on it should work fine.

and a note that the newly released beta of IE 7 that I am running on my desktop, a lot of the CSS problems have been corrected!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-02-13, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosie99
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anybody could give me a solution for previewing my web design projects in Internet Explorer for Windows. I'm working on a Mac (obviously!) but I'd rather not buy a Windows system to preview in IE. I was wondering if Microsoft's Virtual PC would let me do this? I appreciate it's an expensive product and performance is poor but I don't need it for much more than taking a look in Internet Explorer.
Your options:
1) Get a cheap sandbox system. Probably around $300-500 at decent performance.
2) A Virtual PC-based emulation. Probably around $200, but with some restrictions (especially in the performance department).
3) Use a browser screenshot service such as browsershots.org, which is free, but comes with some delays.