Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Bose Wave music system
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2004-09-20, 12:18

Dear All,

I was recently at a Bose outlet at Short Pump Richmond and heard the music from the wave music system for the first time in my life, and I was utterly shocked at the amazing sound quality.

Now.... here's the linky: http://www.bose.com/controller;-1457119388!1401829922?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVEN T&product=new_from_bose&linksource=header_txt_new& pageName=/home_entertainment/computer_gaming/mediamate/index.jsp

So it costs 500 bux...I'm thinking if I use this for the next 20 years, the purchase could be justified, but I don't know too much about them, and am not an audiophile.

Is it really that good or is it overrated?

This seems to be a new model. How does it compare to the Wave Radio which is only 350? I'll be mostly hooking it up to my mac, so don't really need the radio or the cd player.

Thanks, if anyone has anything to say, please do.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-09-20, 14:23

I've got an older version - am/fm only, no CD. Similar to the Wave radio, but in white.

It sounds great, not accurate, but good and loud.

The only thing I hate about it is the controls on the top.
You see,my cats like to sit on it because of the warmth and in doing so often crank the volume way up while tuning it to some non-existant radio station and I come home to a blaring room full of static.

Otherwise, I like it a lot, but you could probably find something better for the money.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2004-09-20, 14:27

Do you think you could elaborate on the "not accurate"?

Thanks.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-09-20, 15:05

Bose, heeehehehehehheeee.

When you think about the basics, you have to wonder if a speaker lacking reasonable cabinet volume can produce adequate bass. The answer is no, not efficiently... Bose probably masks this by upping the power and using a non-flat default equalizer setting.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-09-20, 15:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
Bose probably masks this by upping the power and using a non-flat default equalizer setting.
No. They call it Waveguide. It's a tuned chamber within the unit.
It's a hack, but it does thump.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

2004-09-20, 15:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegong
Do you think you could elaborate on the "not accurate"?

Thanks.
Meaning the sound is "colored". Good low end, good highs and the mids are barely there.

It doesn't sound bad, but it is kinda "hyping" the audio.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-09-20, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferaDrew
No. They call it Waveguide. It's a tuned chamber within the unit.
It's a hack, but it does thump.
I know the marketing hooplah, but the snaky chamber doesn't change the volume. The fact of the matter is it's capable of moving less air and therefore must use more power than larger speakers.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

2004-09-20, 15:54

Of course it doesn't change the volume, but it does create more low frequency info due to the tuning, causing the audio being fed into it to be "enhanced".
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-09-20, 16:28

I still don't understand how you can have a speaker produce highs, mids, and lows all at the same time and have good sound.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2004-09-20, 16:47

Well, what do you guys think about this purchase? I'm hesitant because it's almost a month's worth of my salary and don't know just how good it is.

What are some alternative speakers which are small but have good sound?

Steve.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

2004-09-20, 17:35

I thought you said in your first post that you had listened to it - "utterly shocked" you said.
If you liked it, you can afford it and you can use it, go ahead and buy it.

I've had mine for years and I like it alot. Sounds great with my iPod plugged into it too.

Plus, there's this:
Quote:
Hear it for yourself ... with our 30-day excitement guarantee.

You'll also enjoy a risk-free trial period. Compare, side by side, the sound of your new Wave® music system to that of larger and more expensive sound systems owned by you or your friends.
Buy it and if you hate it, get a refund. It's simple.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-09-20, 18:08

It's a miniaturized version of Bose's "Bass Cannon", used in movie theaters and such:
http://www.cardhouse.com/x09/wave.htm
http://www.avsuperstore.com/moreinfo.cfm?id=2843
http://www.audiolat.lv/awcs.htm

Basically, take the tube, shrink the diameter, and wrap it up a few times to pack it into a shelf radio (a really big, flat one at that, more like a tabletop radio).

It does what it's supposed to do: make an average driver produce apparently hefty bass. Nuance? No. Explosions? Sure, good enough.
gEEk

2004-09-20, 18:31

Before you buy a Bose (they famously overprice their gear) take a look at these:

Cambridge Soundworks Radio CD

Boston Acoustics Receptor Radio

I have both, in different rooms. The BA sounds just wonderful (for its size) and the CS is much more feature-rich. Neither can compete with full-sized systems by any stretch (neither can the Bose, btw) but they are much less expensive than the Bose and will give you at least as good sound.

New Bose gear always sounds artificially boosted in the mid-bass to me, and generally lacking in low-bass. Of all of the 'mini' radios I've heard, the BA is probably the most balanced, but it lacks a CD player, if that's important to you.

Consider getting yourself a good set of bookshelf speakers and a receiver--you'll be able to pick something up that sounds *far* better than that Bose for the same money. Go to a good stereo shop (i.e., NOT Best Buy or Circuit City) and tell them you have $500 to spend on two speakers, a receiver and a CD player. You'll be surprised at the sound you can buy for $500!

[edit]: One more thing... When you listen to a new piece of gear in a store, take along a CD you like and are very familiar with. Then, listen for a *good long time* before making up your mind. Many cheaper boxes (and also 'boutique' gear like Bose) will sound really awesome for the first minute or so, but grow fatiguing after a few minutes. The trick is to overly boost the (mid) bass and the highs to make the music sound both deep and sparkly--but this will grow annoying after a while (it's also not realistic--certainly not the way the music was mixed). A well balanced system won't immediately blow you away, but will be much preferred after a long, fair audition against the competition.

btw... I don't have anything personal against bose... I just think that you can get equal or better sound for less money. Lots of people love bose and that's cool. It's just not my taste.

The [United States] Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness; you have to catch it yourself. --Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by gEEk : 2004-09-20 at 19:09.
BarracksSi
BANNED

2004-09-20, 18:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gEEk
New Bose gear always sounds artificially boosted in the mid-bass to me, and generally lacking in low-bass.
I call that "showroom engineering". It sounds fine playing vanilla jazz in a big, loud place like a mall or Best Buy, but just won't cut it when you ask it to handle the really difficult stuff in your listening room.

It's like the back seats of many 2+2 sport coupes -- they're designed in such a way that, if you merely look back there, they seem to have normal proportions, and appear to be at least close to regular size. We know that it's not true, though.
gEEk

2004-09-20, 18:49

You're absolutely right, BarracksSi. See my edit above.

Also, good for you, finding a way to throw in a car analogy!
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2004-09-20, 19:51

Well, I'm having doubts because as someone said, their demo cds are done just so it can sound impressive at their store.

I actually don't care about the fm radio tuner or a cd player. I'll be hooking it up to my computer.

The reason I was looking into the bose was because I'm an international college student, and don't have that much space nor the ability to store massive amounts of stuff during the summer, a time I'll be out of the country.

I think I might buy it and see if i like it, and then if not bring it back. Does this have to be done at a bose outlet or does it work for online orders too?

Thanks.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

2004-09-20, 20:38

Take one of your own CD's and take a listen if you're ever back down towards Short Pump.

The 30 day trial shouldwork regardless of where you buy it.
Just call them up and ask someone. That's what they're there for.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-09-20, 20:48

That doesn't exactly sound like the kind of thing you'd want to hook up to your computer. I mean, you're also paying for the CD and Radio in the unit as well, but furthermore, you position that one box in one place. I'd look at satellite speakers for your computer.

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-09-20, 20:59

Yeah, just get some JBL Creatures for about 1/5 the price. Not sure how much of a hardcore audiophile you consider yourself, but I think they sound just fine. I currently don't even own a stereo, and don't even plan on buying one ever again, honestly. My PowerBook, JBL Creature II speakers, my entire CD collection in iTunes, my favorite radio stations bookmarked (KFI AM640 in L.A. and WLS in Chicago), etc.

All the volume and bass I need, and easy to throw in a box when it's moving time.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-09-20, 21:12

The other cool thing about the Creatures is that one of the two satellite speakers connects to the sub via a plain 3.5mm audio cord. A friend of mine will sometimes just bring the one satellite with him to LAN parties - it's quiet and tinny but it's a fully functioning speaker that fits in your pocket.

Man, now I'm thinking of getting a set. I have a cheap Yamaha set, but the Creatures would probably sound a bit better. Oh well, the Yamahas have a very useful volume knob on the right satellite, and I don't want to have to bend down to adjust the volume on the Creatures. I can spend my money on other things (like food...).
BarracksSi
BANNED

2004-09-20, 21:15

For their size & shape, I actually liked the Apple Pro Speakers' sound.

I'd have them if I had a desktop instead of just my iBook. I also can't find them in Apple's online store, although I've spotted them in their retail stores.

Oh well...
windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2004-09-20, 21:33

i have my comp hooked up to my stereo through a mini jack to rca cable
MacUsers

2004-09-20, 21:59

I've got some Bose speakers hooked up to a receiver which is hooked up to my G5. Kind of confusing but I didn't have to buy new speakers and they sounds great.
BarracksSi
BANNED

2004-09-20, 22:04

Confusing?

My iPod sits in its Dock. Audio comes from the Dock and goes into the Aux 2 inputs on the front of my DVD/VCR combo. Then, it goes into the home theater receiver (which only has FM, AM, DVD, and Video selections).

To listen to the iPod, I set the receiver to Video and the DVD player to Aux 2.

Works, though. A NaviPod IR remote makes operation even smoother, too.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2004-09-20, 22:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
The other cool thing about the Creatures is that one of the two satellite speakers connects to the sub via a plain 3.5mm audio cord. A friend of mine will sometimes just bring the one satellite with him to LAN parties - it's quiet and tinny but it's a fully functioning speaker that fits in your pocket.

Man, now I'm thinking of getting a set. I have a cheap Yamaha set, but the Creatures would probably sound a bit better. Oh well, the Yamahas have a very useful volume knob on the right satellite, and I don't want to have to bend down to adjust the volume on the Creatures. I can spend my money on other things (like food...).

I believe there are touch sensitive volume adjustment buttons on the right satellite on the creatures.

If you want to sell your speakers to me that would be cool actually. My MS50 speakers somehow no longer work...
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-01-28, 18:05

Quote:
Dear All,

I was recently at a Bose outlet at Short Pump Richmond and heard the music from the wave music system for the first time in my life, and I was utterly shocked at the amazing sound quality.

Now.... here's the linky: http://www.bose.com/controller;-1457119388!1401829922?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVEN T&product=new_from_bose&linksource=header_txt_new& pageName=/home_entertainment/computer_gaming/mediamate/index.jsp

So it costs 500 bux...I'm thinking if I use this for the next 20 years, the purchase could be justified, but I don't know too much about them, and am not an audiophile.

Is it really that good or is it overrated?

This seems to be a new model. How does it compare to the Wave Radio which is only 350? I'll be mostly hooking it up to my mac, so don't really need the radio or the cd player.

Thanks, if anyone has anything to say, please do.
I use a Bose Wave and a Sound Dock for the iPod. The Wave produces excellent sound in my lounge - the depth of the bass is first rate. It's worth every cent.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2005-01-28, 19:14

I finally had a chance to listen to the wave system for an extended period and a wide range of different styles of music and I must say that I am very disappointed at the wave system. It only sounds good for certain styles, such as jazz and vocal, but for things like classical it was horrible. It lacks dynamic range. There are definitely better ways to spend your money, if you don't need the small size.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-28, 19:29

err, confused threads... sorry.
Quagmire
meh

2005-01-28, 21:33

Quote:
I finally had a chance to listen to the wave system for an extended period and a wide range of different styles of music and I must say that I am very disappointed at the wave system. It only sounds good for certain styles, such as jazz and vocal, but for things like classical it was horrible. It lacks dynamic range. There are definitely better ways to spend your money, if you don't need the small size.
I am sorry that you do not like the wave system. Every speaker has its weaknesses. I am right now listening to my sound dock with a song that has a low bass. The bass that the sound dock produces for those moments surpass any other speakers I have heard playing the same song. Also, the sound dock makes my desk vibrate even at a low volume. I have heard the best sound out of these speakers.

giggity
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2005-01-29, 02:01

I have the Nakamichi SoundSpace 3, its really cool. the sound was decent when I had it in the setup above, but when i got married and moved to a new apartment with a carpeted bedroom, i put the sub behind the bed ont he floor and the 2 main units each on one side of a king size bed and the sound now is way better. the sound is deeper and more "stereo". its practical also. Has a CD player, Radio and Aux inputs. It has 2 alarms and can be snoozed or turned off from any of the 2 main units.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's