Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Calling All Guys...Wanted: Your Opinion

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Calling All Guys...Wanted: Your Opinion
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Freewell

2006-10-02, 18:21

Ok, so I have gathered that three of the areas you all specialize in are beer, food, and, wellll... we just won't go *there*!

Anyway, I am trying to come up with some great ideas for some nice meals for my husband. (No particular reason, other than he is *awesome*, and I want him to know how much I appreciate all that he does for us.) Tonight I am making sticky barbecued beef ribs. (He is definitely a meat and potatoes kind of guy!) So, I got to thinking, and realized that with as much diversity and creativity as there is on this forum, I'll bet you guys have some great ideas! What are your favorite meals? Any special recipes you find particularly savory? Remember, it has to be *actual* food...beer doesn't count!
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-10-02, 18:21

Beer.

Freewell

2006-10-02, 18:23

Two demerits... you didn't read the rules!
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-10-02, 18:27

I like chicken fajitas.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2006-10-02, 18:30

How about beer as an ingredient?
Quagmire
meh

2006-10-02, 18:31

Filet Mignon in a burgundy sauce which has heavy cream and cognac in it. You partially cook the filet on the grill and then finish it in the sauce in a pan. It tastes great.

giggity
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-10-02, 18:36

Beer Butt Chicken FTW.

You also could try Alcimedes' Urguayian dish, which I really liked myself...

Search the forum for my thread about BBQ season for the recipes.. I'm too lazy and need a beer.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2006-10-02, 18:36

My favorite steak to make is this marinade I put together that is 2 cups of pineapple juice, 3/4 cup of soy sauce, some garlic, ginger and brown sugar. Marinade a couple of steaks in that for about 24 hours and then grill them with a slice of pineapple on top.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Wrao
Yarp

2006-10-02, 18:42

I recently made a marinade out of habanero peppers, habanero sauce, lemon, green onion and garlic. I put it on some chicken breasts. It was delicious.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-10-02, 18:42

Tacos.

Line the insides with a little refried beans if you really love him.

(I'm not drunk enough to mention the pink taco and sausage recipe that you bring out later that night)
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-10-02, 18:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
(I'm not drunk enough to mention the pink taco and sausage recipe that you bring out later that night)
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-10-02, 18:45

Quote:
Murbot.

The 21st Century's Answer to Good Ol' Bill Shakespeare.
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-10-02, 18:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
Filet Mignon in a burgundy sauce which has heavy cream and cognac in it. You partially cook the filet on the grill and then finish it in the sauce in a pan. It tastes great.
Filet Mignon is the most over-priced, tasteless cut of beef you can get. The only reason why people ever say they like it is because it comes from the equivalent of the small of the cow's back and is very tender. The problem is there's no fat, no bone, nothing to inject a little flavor into the steak.

Steaks should be appreciated for the taste of the meat, not the savory sauce you drown it in to make up for its utter lack of it.

I only enjoy filet as part of a porterhouse or used in unique dishes like carpaccio.
zsummers
Avast!

2006-10-02, 19:03

Pot roast. Seriously. It's meat and potatoes in its most literal incarnation. And it rocks. Put carrots and onions in there too. And cook it for something like 4 or five hours in the oven; it doesn't really matter just how long. The meat just falls apart and is delicious. And then make a good brown gravy. Make plenty of everything... the leftovers are the best part.

Screw that filet-mignon/burgandy whatever crap. Meat! Potatoes! (Beer!)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-10-02, 19:07

Lasagna.
Freewell

2006-10-02, 19:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrain View Post
How about beer as an ingredient?
How did I *know* that one of you would come up with that?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
My favorite steak to make is this marinade I put together that is 2 cups of pineapple juice, 3/4 cup of soy sauce, some garlic, ginger and brown sugar. Marinade a couple of steaks in that for about 24 hours and then grill them with a slice of pineapple on top.
He actually said he would really like to try this... I'll have to let you know how it turns out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
I recently made a marinade out of habanero peppers, habanero sauce, lemon, green onion and garlic. I put it on some chicken breasts. It was delicious.
Ooh yeah! Have a recipe? Actually, he would a fire extinguisher welded to his face, but I love this particular type of cuisine...mo hotter mo better!!
Quote:
Tacos.

Line the insides with a little refried beans if you really love him.

Of course, murbot *would* recommend his favorite preference... I just can't figure it out... No matter how many days in row I feed him the same thing, he just never gets tired of it!!
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2006-10-02, 19:20

I'm quite fond of a beef vindaloo. Get the most gristly cheap cut you can find, and let it simmer for a couple of hours to soften up. Oh — and make the paste yourself — store-bought vindaloo pastes are universally awful. Beer is a required adjunct to this meal, because, as Dave Lister once said, "…lager [is] the only thing that can kill a good vindaloo".
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-10-02, 19:22

Here you go.

Your husband will be the envy of all of his friends once he produces this at a BBQ.

Quote:
Oh, I just had a new recipe passed along to me last month. It's an Uruguayian dish.

Take a beef, chicken or pork round steak cut (that's thin) and slice it almost in half (to butterfly it).

Open the meat, and inside you place various cheeses, peppers, other meats etc. Then starting from one end, roll the entire package up tightly, and wrap the outside in bacon. The bacon then tightens up as you grill, and holds all the juices inside.

It's amazingly tasty, and since there's no requirement as to exactly what has to go in them, there's plenty of room for experimentation. Big hit every time I make them though.
Some additional details. Smoked gouda makes a fine cheese, sweet peppers are always good, and two slices of bacon so you make sure to keep as many of the juices from the meet inside as possible.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Wrao
Yarp

2006-10-02, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewell View Post
Ooh yeah! Have a recipe? Actually, he would a fire extinguisher welded to his face, but I love this particular type of cuisine...mo hotter mo better!!
Just tossed it together as I went along, I'm not much of a cook. I marinaded the chicken breasts for about 2 or 3 hours, then broiled them. In retrospect, It would have been better if I'd baked them at a lower temperature for a longer time. Once on the plates we drizzled the remainder of the sauces onto each piece.
Freewell

2006-10-02, 19:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
Here you go.

Your husband will be the envy of all of his friends once he produces this at a BBQ.

Some additional details. Smoked gouda makes a fine cheese, sweet peppers are always good, and two slices of bacon so you make sure to keep as many of the juices from the meet inside as possible.
Rock on! He would eat bacon in his breakfast cereal if I fed it to him!!
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-10-02, 19:41

Marinated Steak, with diced red potatoes with butter and garlic salt all over them. Maybe a veg in there too if he's one of those types

My favorite meal might be chicken casserole though. I know casseroles aren't really a manly meal, but mmmmmmmmm, chicken, cream of mushroom soup, melted swiss on top with browned croutons on mashed potatoes or rice—wow.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-10-02, 19:50

Gumbo with some thick-cut summer sausage, lots of types of beans, and whatever else you want slow simmered in a deep pan. Serve in a bowl with white rice and you have a great cold-weather meal!
Foj
Veteran Member

2006-10-02, 19:55

Pizza is sounding good to me right now.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-10-02, 20:01

Honey almond salmon.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-10-02, 20:05

Breakfast: Eggs Benedict; French Toast & Canadian Bacon

Other: Pasta Carbonara (now the stuff of legend around here since I started harping on it a year or so ago)

Roast Beef and Gravy Sandwiches

Just about any type of marinated grilled chicken or beef

...into the light of a dark black night.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-10-02, 20:06

T-Bone and lobster tail.
chinesebear

2006-10-02, 20:08

Macaroni & Cheese baked with Kielbasa
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-10-02, 20:19

Does he like seafood/Italian? I always dig some sort of shrimp/garlic/pasta concoction. You can't go wrong with those three things together.

Garlic makes everything taste better. It should be a law that it goes into everything.

Freewell

2006-10-02, 22:39

Wow...this is great. Thanks, guys! There are some really fantastic recommendations here...can't wait to get started! I am planning on making a calendar menu and trying at least one of your ideas/recipes each day for the month. There are plenty of open days left to fill...keep the candidates coming!
Quagmire
meh

2006-10-02, 23:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Filet Mignon is the most over-priced, tasteless cut of beef you can get. The only reason why people ever say they like it is because it comes from the equivalent of the small of the cow's back and is very tender. The problem is there's no fat, no bone, nothing to inject a little flavor into the steak.

Steaks should be appreciated for the taste of the meat, not the savory sauce you drown it in to make up for its utter lack of it.

I only enjoy filet as part of a porterhouse or used in unique dishes like carpaccio.

The fat is bad for you. Plus, I waste all the steak cutting off all the fat. Filet Mignon is the only way to go for me. Plus, get it from Costco, it is even better. They have the best meat there except for veal. I like the steak without the bone or fat to add flavor. I like pure meat. And sometimes I like it in a sauce to give it a punch. Sorry you don't like it.

giggity