Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Handbrake won't rip whole DVD

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Handbrake won't rip whole DVD
Koodari
Veteran Member

2007-08-11, 10:34

What I have here is a Region 0 disc. DVD Player and VLC Player with Macbook's internal Region 2 -set drive can play the full disc fine. Finder shows the full 2.1GB (? minutes) of data. It's a garage-level quality production so this problem is not with some weird copy protection measure, but the DVD might actually be nonstandard somehow.

Handbrake 0.8.5 beta, Handbrake 0.7.1 and MacTheRipper can only see and rip one 9-minute chapter.

This is something I really need to get a backup of. If the disc should break or scratch the replacement is at the very minimum $50 and a continent away.

Last edited by Koodari : 2007-08-11 at 10:36. Reason: improved lolcat
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-08-11, 11:31

HandBrake is good but seems to be temperamental. There was a thread back around July 1 about people, myself included, who were having problems with HandBrake. Several people said that simply re-ripping (inexplicably) solved the problem. (I know that's not a great answer given that HandBrake can take 12 hours to complete a DVD rip, but re-ripping seemed to be the popular "solution.")
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2007-08-11, 11:35

HandBrake had been good to me so far. The only movie I ever had trouble with was Cars. It would get to about 5 min left, and the app would quit.

Deal with it.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2007-08-11, 11:39

Re-ripping is fast but it doesn't help when there is no problem in the ripping process. I can't start ripping anything besides the 9min segment because that's the only one displayed in the Handbrake and MTR UI's.

I tried copying all 2.1GB on my HD, and VLC can play it, so I do have a backup now. I'd prefer to be able to compress it to a handy MPEG4 though.

In this instance I wouldn't even care about picture and sound quality. The original is shot and recorded quite poorly.