Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

"Pirates of Silicon Valley" sequel?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"Pirates of Silicon Valley" sequel?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-16, 12:19

Anyone besides me think this would be interesting? Of course you do!

Personally, I think Anthony Michael Hall is took bulked-up and studly to play a convincing Gates (recast the role...should be easy...in fact, get that guy from "Office Space", the one who hated the copier!), but damn...Noah Wylie could pull off a good current-day Jobs (with the right haircut and some scruffy stubble) and perhaps a little "aging" makeup around the eyes?

That original movie ended at the Macworld Expo where Gates appeared on the big screen, right? Well think of what all has happened since then, with both of these companies!

Microsoft's legal battles, Gates' marriage, his UN contribution, the release of XP and their struggle with security, etc. And Apple? My gosh, where to start? The whole iEra, the development and nurturing of OS X, Steve's helming of Pixar through some MAJOR successes, the whole iPod thing, his bout with cancer, etc.

The little squabbles between these two companies, Jobs' temper and bickering with Real and others, the partnership with HP (get Felicity Huffman or someone like that to play Carly Fiorina).

But Apple is even MORE of a presence now, than when they made that original movie. And Microsoft only gets bigger with every passing year.

You could cast roles for Schiller, Ballmer, Ive, Cleary, Goldblum, Bono, Thurrot, etc.

Basically cover from 1997 to present day, and all that's happened. Make it three hours (or make it a two-part miniseries, if 2-3 hours isn't enough), put it on TNT or USA so they can accurately cuss, etc. and end, showing both companies at the top of their game, mutually - but grudgingly - respectful of one another, etc.

Done right - play up the dark humor, rip on Ballmer's onstage antics, target some Mac zealotry - it would be a huge hit. Probably MORE than the original, only because more people are computer-using and savvy than they were six or so years ago, plus the iPod has created such interest and buzz around Apple that tons of folks who'd probably never watch a movie about this topic now probably would? Done right, promoted strongly and airing on a good network during a good period (sweeps?).

I need to be in TV...I'd make it happen.

And every damn one of you would watch it, then go out and buy the DVD the following Tuesday. Just admit it...

Don't sit there and act like you wouldn't!

In lieu of this thing ever getting done, the least we could do is just have some fun playing casting director, right?

Have at it...

Bill? Danika? Ballmer? Woz? Ive?
Wrao
Yarp

2004-12-16, 12:38

You are such a fanboy

Well, I think that, although it would be a fairly interesting movie, all those things you've mentioned really lack the same wonderment as the beginning days of personal computing. All the 'revolutions' apple has had since the 70s/80s, pale in comparison to what they did back then. At least, as far as making a good movie is concerned. Most of the things you describe would be better suited for a sit-com

I recently got a couple of documentaries. 'Dogtown and Z-boys' about the Zephyr Skate crew who revolutionized skating. and "Step into Liquid" which is about the joys of Surfing. Both these movies are most interesting when they are talking about how things were, and how amazing even little accomplishments were. In Dogtown for instance, they talk about how when they started riding pools, the first time someone grabbed air out of the pool. It blew their minds! it was an amazing feat and it totally changed the scope of what could be accomplished. Which is funny to think of now since you got cats like Bob Burnquist and Tony Hawk literally flying out of bowls and halfpipes doing 720s and 900s and it's more or less common place.

It's a similar thing with this, in that developing these personal computers and really revolutionizing the world, but now, every day all these tech giants are producing really neat things and doing 720s and 900s out of the biggest steepest most gnarly bowls around. ya know?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-16, 12:50

I don't agree with that at all. Yeah, the beginning of all this was certainly monumental and cool, and it got a fair, loving treatment. But anyone who thinks what is happening now is somehow "ordinary" or "not a big deal" is crazy. It's even bigger now, in many ways.

And I think you missed what I said: I'm not trying to capture or replicate that feel of "we're on the cusp of something great".

Just in terms of intrigue, business squabbles, FURTHER shaping the computers we use (this innovation and daring stuff didn't stop in the 70's, you know), personal conflicts, business and marketing triumphs (and missteps), etc., there is enough of all of that stuff between these two companies to make for a pretty compelling story, I'd think.

Done right (as I said all along). Done RIGHT.

People watch the silliest shit these days (don't make me list them), so you don't think folks would like a movie recounting the continuing story of the things every single one of us use every single day? That original "Pirates" movie covered all the bases, in terms of humor, drama, conflict, lightness, historical tidbits, etc. Couldn't another?

Has nothing to do with "fanboy"...just an interesting movie, that would hold SOME sort of interest to almost every man, woman and child who use a computer, surf the Internet, download music, etc. And you'd watch it just like everyone else.

Anyway...

See?!?

That's four minutes in Photoshop...imagine a proper make-up artist at work!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-16, 12:57

BTW, I'm awaiting a plane trip to New Orleans, so I've got time on my hands, and a PowerBook at my disposal...so forgive any silliness I might dish out (like the photo above).

But my original intent/thesis is sound.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-12-16, 13:03

I gotta go with Wrao on this one. Who wants to see a couple of aging corporate executives vie for power in a now-mature industry that has lost most of the wonder of decades past? I don't.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-12-16, 13:20

i got a feeling it'd be like a 2h commercial for apple. which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. but, i think people would be put off by it. i think the early battle with the apple behemoth v gates was more engaging than the stuff goin on now (or the passed few years). i'm not sure that there is enough interest in it to pay for production and expect a good roi. there isn't really drama and fighting so much now. apple is doing well, and so is ms. they aren't really aggressive against each other.

i'd still watch it though. but i'd steal it off the internet instead of paying for the dvd.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-16, 13:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuh Freak
i'd still watch it though. but i'd steal it off the internet instead of paying for the dvd.
Well of course.

The rest of you are just not being honest. You talk big about "not watching it", but are you sure about that? All the spark and magic is gone, and only existed at that one point, huh?

Yeah...

I'm NOT trying to be all Messiahtosh about this , but I just don't buy this tough "I wouldn't watch it" talk. Not one bit. Most folks here, fanboys and otherwise, tend to watch anything involving Apple (commercials, keynotes, special events, attend store grand openings when they can, etc.). You expect me to believe you wouldn't watch a well-done movie that chronicled some of the big events, releases, pushes, flops, clashes, etc. of the past decade or so, featuring our favorite little company and the Big Giant in Washington™ and all the popular, well-known players involved?

C'mon now...I'm gullible and a little naive, but not to that degree!

I'm not saying you'll love it, or that you'd consider it the greatest thing ever made, or that it would be a world-changing, landmark event (that's too subjective). But you'd watch it. At least once. Right?

Be honest and at least cop to THAT, and I'll leave it alone.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-12-16, 14:39

I never said I wouldn't watch it. I just think it wouldn't be a very good movie and it wouldn't be very popular.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-12-16, 16:14

I never said I wouldn't watch it either
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-12-16, 22:27

I think paul is on to something... kinda like AtAT's dream come true...
But I'm sure there is a good reason why they haven't gotten a script made yet...

oh, and if you want to kill some time, checkout this: http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=2443

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-12-17, 06:37

I want to see Gates and Jobs duke it out in huge mechs like that B-movie Robot Jox.