Fallout 3 exists

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Fallout 3 exists
Page 4 of 5 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5  Next Thread Tools
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2008-11-10, 00:38

You can tell a game is something special and a truly personal experience when you don't click on spoilers, and keep googling to see really how much game play time each reviewer estimates, but also skip any paragraph in the review that might spoil something!!

I look forward to reading the spoilers in this thread sometime in the future..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
I've not had an issue finding them in containers and such. In fact, I can't seem to use them fast enough.
Spoiler (click to toggle):
I had loads and only just ran out.. I had not found any in any containers up to that point but perhaps it balances the contents of containers sometimes.. as I have noticed that some areas I revisit will replenish a few StimPaks and so on - but nothing else there has changed, and late last night I did actually find a couple of Bobby Pins in a container towards the end of the play session when I was out of them again completely.

Fallout 3 has messed up my morning this morning.. I really am suffering from withdrawal after the weekend and can't focus!

I am really happy that Bethesda is promising expansions and DLC.. But I hope that doesn't delay any sequel they do as long as they have been prone to do in the past...

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2008-11-10, 02:50

Hmm, I find bobby pins on ghouls a lot (I don't know if you've encountered them yet) and some on centaurs. Sometimes in first aid boxes.

But yes, bobby pins are a pain in the ass. The second time around you know to be more judicious with your bobby pins, and a little bit more experienced.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-11-12, 11:03

For those who have finished the game:

What is the last storyline quest, the point of no return so to speak? I don't want to accidentally start it and not be able to return to the wasteland. Thanks!

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Wrao
Yarp

2008-11-12, 12:37

Quote:

What is the last storyline quest, the point of no return so to speak? I don't want to accidentally start it and not be able to return to the wasteland. Thanks!
I'm not gonna tell you where it is specifically, because it might affect your perception of the endgame, but I will say that, it should be pretty obvious when you get there, and it is unlikely it will sneak up on you.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-11-12, 13:50

Quote:

You eventually get back to the Jefferson Memorial and have to activate the water purifier. The area is flooded with radiation and after activating it, you die (even if you're wearing a radiation suit and take plenty of Rad-X). To make sure you don't get trapped or anything, I'd suggest saving in a new slot before you talk to the Brotherhood of Steel and get them to activate the big robot.

Oh, and the code is 216 (based on that Bible verse your dad always mentions). I guess I was too thick-headed to come up with that myself, but I was seriously running around in the "fatal radiation levels!" area for about a minute (taking plenty of Rad-X and Rad-Away to stave off the radiation) before I gave up and looked it up online.

By the way, don't even bother finishing the main quest. The ending sucks donkey balls. By far the worst ending to any video game I've ever played. Not only that, but it doesn't even make sense, because
by the time you get to that part of the game, you will most likely have a radiation-immune intelligent super mutant companion who could just activate it himself with no ill effects. Also, by that time, the Enclave has quite possibly been destroyed or at least driven off and it wouldn't be hard for the Brotherhood to simply pull cordon off the area and send in a robot to activate the purifier. The entire point of the last part of the game is to get back to the water purifier and take it back from the Enclave. Once that's done, there's no need (from a plot perspective) to hurry up and activate it. You could do it whenever.

So like I said, just ignore it. Once you get to the point I mentioned, just turn around and leave.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2008-11-12, 14:12

I'm almost considering trading this game in...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-11-12, 14:34

I'd trade it in if you don't enjoy exploring the wastes and randomly killing stuff. If you want a game with a good story or one where you get a real sense of accomplishment when you beat it, Fallout 3 isn't it. However, there's a lot to be said for just walking around the wasteland. It's fun! You'll find all sorts of neat stuff. Side quests all over, interesting settlements (both occupied and abandoned), pre-war ruins, and so on. The setting is amazingly done. Even simply looking at the wasteland stretched out before you from one of the several higher-up areas is pretty cool.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2008-11-12, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
I'd trade it in if you don't enjoy exploring the wastes and randomly killing stuff. If you want a game with a good story or one where you get a real sense of accomplishment when you beat it, Fallout 3 isn't it. However, there's a lot to be said for just walking around the wasteland. It's fun! You'll find all sorts of neat stuff. Side quests all over, interesting settlements (both occupied and abandoned), pre-war ruins, and so on. The setting is amazingly done. Even simply looking at the wasteland stretched out before you from one of the several higher-up areas is pretty cool.
The draw distance on the ps3 is crap compared to PC. But yeah, as soon as I finish the rest of the side quests it's probably going to be shelved for a while...

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-11-12, 16:03

Regarding my question about the final quest:

I asked because while I was roaming the wastes I stumbled into Vault 112 and got into some weird simulation thing that was asking questions about what is good and what is bad and it felt like the end, so I loaded my save and decided to avoid that place at all costs. But the quest I'm on in the storyline has me going to that vault. I'm not ready to finish the game yet. So knowing I end up back at the Memorial means I don't have to worry about that weird simulation. Thanks.

Website | Twitter
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-11-14, 03:46

I just noticed something else. If you have a high lockpick skill, always check the "Force Lock" option in the lower right. It's sort of out of the way, so it's not always easy to notice. But if your skill is high enough, it'll give you a 100% chance to succeed by forcing it open. Good for saving time and possibly a bobby pin or two. If you fail at forcing a lock, it breaks and can't be unlocked (except with a key), but as long as it's a 100% chance, there's no risk of that happening.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2008-11-14, 03:47

Quote:
If you fail at forcing a lock, it breaks and can't be unlocked (except with a key), but as long as it's a 100% chance, there's no risk of that happening.
You can get a perk that lets you retry forced locks, like with the computer. (Unless I misunderstood the perk).
tomoe
Veteran Member

2008-11-14, 10:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
You can get a perk that lets you retry forced locks, like with the computer. (Unless I misunderstood the perk).
Yes, it's the Infiltrator perk.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-11-14, 10:58

Yeah, but it's not really worth it unless you're horrible at the lockpick minigame. You can always just save immediately before attempting to force a lock, and reload if you break it, though most people would consider that cheating .

In fact, many of the perks are useless. I'd definitely avoid any of the ones that give you +5 to two different skills. They just don't give you enough benefit... better to take the one that lets you raise a stat. In fact, there's a good rundown on how to create the "ideal" character here:

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/vie...bc30fed#579453

Basically, you put as many points into Intelligence as possible, because that affects how many points you get to put into skills. Either put 10 and do whatever or put 9 in and immediately
rush to Rivet City's science lab for the +1 INT bobblehead.

You can drop Charisma to 1 and just raise your Speech (and if you choose, Barter) skills to compensate, since all the Charisma stat does is affect how high your speech and barters skills are and nothing else. Use the points to increase your Endurance (more HP) or Luck (more criticals, better stats across the board). The rest of your stats you can raise to the level you like with perks.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2008-11-14, 11:05

Quote:
Yeah, but it's not really worth it unless you're horrible at the lockpick minigame. You can always just save immediately before attempting to force a lock, and reload if you break it, though most people would consider that cheating .

In fact, many of the perks are useless. I'd definitely avoid any of the ones that give you +5 to two different skills. They just don't give you enough benefit... better to take the one that lets you raise a stat. In fact, there's a good rundown on how to create the "ideal" character here:

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/vie...bc30fed#579453

Basically, you put as many points into Intelligence as possible, because that affects how many points you get to put into skills. Either put 10 and do whatever or put 9 in and immediately
rush to Rivet City's science lab for the +1 INT bobblehead.

You can drop Charisma to 1 and just raise your Speech (and if you choose, Barter) skills to compensate, since all the Charisma stat does is affect how high your speech and barters skills are and nothing else. Use the points to increase your Endurance (more HP) or Luck (more criticals, better stats across the board). The rest of your stats you can raise to the level you like with perks.
Yeah, I don't think the perk is worth it either. I do a similar *cheat* with the computer terminals--namely make 3 password attempts and if none are correct, exit the terminal and then try again.

Those recommendations on Intelligence and Charisma are exactly what I did. Getting around having a low barter skill is pretty easy, just get the Scrounger perk and use the oodles of extra ammo when bartering.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2008-11-14, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
Yeah, I don't think the perk is worth it either. I do a similar *cheat* with the computer terminals--namely make 3 password attempts and if none are correct, exit the terminal and then try again.

Those recommendations on Intelligence and Charisma are exactly what I did. Getting around having a low barter skill is pretty easy, just get the Scrounger perk and use the oodles of extra ammo when bartering.
HAHAHA That's funny. But c'mon hacking gets easier with just a little practice. Before I knew it was like Mastermind, I was struggling, too. However, I've improved my skills considerably, I just wish the hack didn't take too long.

Wrao
Yarp

2008-11-14, 13:48

Quote:

That's pretty lame. In Fallout 1 and 2 Charisma affected, amongst other things, your initial reaction modifier. So, even if you weren't the sharpest tool in the shed(limited dialog options from low intelligence) you could still generally get your way. At least, that was always my understanding of the system and how it worked in the original FO.

I think having SPECIAL stats only contributing to skill points kind of defeats the purpose of having Attributes in the first place.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-11-14, 14:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
That's pretty lame. In Fallout 1 and 2 Charisma affected, amongst other things, your initial reaction modifier. So, even if you weren't the sharpest tool in the shed(limited dialog options from low intelligence) you could still generally get your way. At least, that was always my understanding of the system and how it worked in the original FO.

I think having SPECIAL stats only contributing to skill points kind of defeats the purpose of having Attributes in the first place.
Actually, I'm not totally sure that's the case. The guy who posted that message I linked to seems to think it's true, but I'm not sure. I think there are so many butthurt Fallout fans over at NMA that they aren't even listening to reason anymore. Also, the game has only been out a couple weeks, so I don't think people have a full working knowledge of how everything works. But I agree. If Charisma only affects your speech skill, why bother? Just tag Speech and pump it for a bit and you're set.

Reading the descriptions of the attributes over at this Wiki article seems to imply that each attribute affects at least one thing that you don't get from skill points:

Strength: Carry weight, melee damage
Perception: Red compass markings
Endurance: Rad/poison resistance, healing rate (though this doesn't seem to be important since you are fully healed if you sleep for even just 1 hour), HP per level
Charisma: NPC reactions
Intelligence: Skill points per level, more dialog options
Agility: Number of action points for VATS
Luck: Critical hit chance
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2008-11-14, 16:52

I traded it in today for World at War.. the replay value was gone for me.
Wrao
Yarp

2008-11-14, 17:01

Is it just me or has it become overwhelmingly common for people to buy games, play them, and resell or trade them in almost immediately after completing them. Yes, game trading has always existed, but it seems like in the past couple of years, it has become significantly more aggressive and standard, almost to the point where, if you buy a new game, you *ARE* a chump. period.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2008-11-14, 17:58

Yeah, I've been doing this for a while. I think it stems from the fact that a new game costs me 60$+, which is a chunk, IMO.
scratt
Veteran Member

2008-11-14, 23:25

I buy new games where I think the developer deserves the money. And I buy direct form as many developers as I can, although that is getting harder now with online distribution companies gaining more ground...

I never sell a game I like, but am happy to take cut price / used games when I want to play a game, but think the company is just milking a franchise or has not produced sufficient content. A perfect example would be Mirror's Edge... EA had a great concept, the demo is awesome, but 6 hours of play time (MAXIMUM) does not make a full release.. Better stick that on something like The Orange Box.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
scratt
Veteran Member

2008-11-15, 11:46

So after frying my noodle for an hour rooting around in junk I decided that the Big Town Robot Repair task was bogus.. I broke my rules and checked carefully online to see what I was missing. After dodging my way through a mine field of other spoilers on the intarweb I have found some conflicting info...

So can anyone here let me know which they think is true..

a) It's a bug and the task is impossible.
b) It's a glitch that can be solved by rolling back to a previous save, and then you may or may not find the robots you require in the junk yard when you do that bit over....

So far I have not been able to 'solve' the glitch!!

Cheers.

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-11-15, 11:50

@scratt:

When does this task come up? I've been to Big Town but the only task I was given was to rescue people from Super Mutants. I got one of two and failed the quest. Is this something I missed on because I didn't save the girl?

Website | Twitter
scratt
Veteran Member

2008-11-15, 23:45

@jdcfsu:

I have done the Big Town quest twice.. The first time I just rescued Red, and thought that the option to rescue Shorty was a red herring. The second time after finding out about the supposed 'glitch' in BIg Town I went looking for Shorty, both before and after letting Red out of her cell. After letting her out of her cell and accepting the [Optional] mission to rescue Shorty, an extra hidden staircase appeared to open up on that level of the Police HQ. Prior to that I am sure there was none, and I looked very thoroughly... First time I've experienced that kind of thing in Fallout. I also think that the first time I rescued Red I did not get the [Optional] mission, but I did get the dialog with her about Shorty, hence my assumption it was a red herring.

However, after both attempts and taking them back to Big Town I was offered the option to help them, either by killing Super Mutants, or repairing their robots. If I accepted the robot task they all go to a small junk heap in the town and keep hassling me to help them fix the robots, and never come out of that state. Blocking me from enslaving Red, or getting her to fix my multiple addictions!!! I am now of the opinion that this is not a 'glitch', but a task they forgot to put into the game properly. Although some people in some forums are saying that if you use a previous save and do it all again sometimes one or more robots are there to fix.

As for me, I have moved on. I got a Big Boy when rescuing Shorty and had a lot of fun nuking the Super Mutants when they attacked BIg Town, and I am now miles and miles away elsewhere in The Wastelands doing other stuff!!

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-11-15, 23:52

@scratt

Interesting. When I did the Big Town quest I found Shorty first and, while I was walking with him through the HQ I threw a frag grande to take out a Super Mutant and accidently blew Red the bits in the process which caused me to fail the quest. Funny thing is the same thing happened when I was escorting the girl from Dukov's place to Rivet City.

It sounds like it was a poorly implemented additional task, though I have found plenty of hidden staircases around various places in the wastes. The best was a secret Chinese spy room I found in the sewers somewhere.

Website | Twitter
scratt
Veteran Member

2008-11-16, 00:01

Arghh!! No problem as I scan skip read anything in this thread.. but if you change subjects mid-spoiler, please please re-spoiler it..

Interesting what you say... I guess I just missed that staircase first time. One of those things...
What happened to you makes sense I guess as Red is the main part of the quest...

I am off back to the Wastelands now... I love this game! Did I say that yet!?!

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-11-22, 14:51

For those with at least 3 or 4 storyline quests under their belts:

Once the Enclave shows up at the Memorial, do they start showing up all over the map or have I just not run into them yet? They seem to be everywhere now. Once place in the city even had a heli show up with reinforcements. I don't know if it's new or not because I had not been to that part of DC before.

Website | Twitter
scratt
Veteran Member

2008-11-23, 10:21

jdcfsh, I read your post by mistake as it showed up in a mail update.. No problem at all.. But it sounds interesting.. and just shows how much there is in this game..

I have been playing this solidly for the last two weekends.. That's about 10 hours a day.. So in total a little over 40 hours now.. I get so engrossed that I actually feel spaced out when I finally shut my PS3 down at the end of the day.

Yesterday a few things started to get a bit repetitive, but I think it was more because I was burnt out rather than the game.. I started rushing through locations rather than researching them properly.. So I canned it and did something else.

At one point earlier on yesterday I stumbled on a section of the main story while off on an unrelated quest, and got sucked into that..

I hooked up with the Bortherhood of Steel just outside Three Dog's radio station stronghold.. and decided to tag along for a Super Mutant bashing session.. Initially I was planning to pick up some free spoils, but in the end got involved in the battle and started kicking mutant ass, almost dragging the Team along with me at times.. Luckily I had a FatBoy from earlier and picked up a bunch of extra nukes just before the Super Mutant Behemoth (or whatever) showed up.. (I was actually trying to scavenge a full set of BrotherHood of Steel armour when I found a guy loaded with Mini Nukes!!) But wow! That was a lot of fun... and a real change of pace..

I have deliberately gone back off the main story path and struck out on my own again now.. and only today I got into the lower left of the main map..

It was like visiting a new region in a familiar country.. And still so many places yet undiscovered kept popping up..
I love all the tapes left lying around that may or may not lead to another quest, but always manage to embellish the ambiance of the game..

During this weekend I have happened upon half a dozen missions, some I have left, some I have done..

Another one I stmbled on was the group of guys stuck on the top of the hotel.. I was going to play a tape I found and accidently discovered their radio signal...

I have also found a whole load of new gameplay aspects, and even got involved in some quite tactical combat scenes where I am fighting in-between two different factions.. and profiting from their carnage...

I have become a bit of an angel as I seem to keep getting on the right side of things.. and now have the Mercs from Talon hunting me down and consequently got into quite a few running street battles where I have had to use cars as improvised traps by seeding them with a few bullets while evading my pursuers.. Those guys are lethal! I kill them and then leave them naked and throw their armor away on principal now.. No one takes a contract hit out on me! Jesus!

As my weekend session drew to a close today I am only looking forward to next weekends marathon even more.. I simply can't play this during the week as the evening is not enough time to zone out fully and immerse yourself..

Best game evah!

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-11-23, 12:04

Wow, you have stumbled onto quite a few side quests without even knowing it... Hopefully when you actually kick off those quests everything works out.

Especially the guys on the rooftop. The end of that quest, once they get back to their HQ and you meet them there you end up with some of the best armor in the game.

Website | Twitter
scratt
Veteran Member

2008-11-23, 12:33

I kind of wondered if that was happening, but no real inconsistencies yet..
I am quite happy with the freedom, and don't mind if it makes a few things happen out of order later...

I definitely felt that I may have crossed some paths with the Hotel rooftop.. I only found the Hotel when aimlessly wandering around after going to the VaultTec HQ [Optionally] to search out the locations of vaults on the Stradivarius mission!!

When I initially found the lift that was 'out of power' I thought to myself that it may be significant.. Unfortunately my curiosity got the better of me and I went exploring outside and guessed that the broken structure linking the hospital to the top of the hotel had to be a way to get across so went exploring there... It was actually very satisfying to make it to the very structure I thought was a short-cut across!

This is one of the only games ever I expect I will ever play more than once.. I already want to do a totally anarchic evil character from scratch, as well as try to do the main quest right through perfectly.. So that's two run thrus I have planned..

Fallout 3 is also really affecting some of the decisions in gameplay I am making in my own project..

Last edited by scratt : 2008-11-23 at 12:49.