Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Random mac questions

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Random mac questions
porter

2005-01-23, 12:37

Just have some random questions to help me decide what mac I should get next:

1) Can you upgrade the RAM on the mini mac, iMac, PB easily? And do 3rd party suppliers sell RAM for these systems?

2) Is there any way to watch TV on the iMac, mini-mac, PB?

3) PBs- any reliability issues I should be aware of? I get the impression that the laptops are less reliable- logic boards, latches, batteries, etc. Granted they're exposed to more trauma and such, but I'd be using only at home.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-01-23, 12:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter
Just have some random questions to help me decide what mac I should get next:

1) Can you upgrade the RAM on the mini mac, iMac, PB easily? And do 3rd party suppliers sell RAM for these systems?

2) Is there any way to watch TV on the iMac, mini-mac, PB?

3) PBs- any reliability issues I should be aware of? I get the impression that the laptops are less reliable- logic boards, latches, batteries, etc. Granted they're exposed to more trauma and such, but I'd be using only at home.
1 - iMac/PB, yes. Mac mini is tougher, but if you get the case apart should be easy since it's on the outside of the board. There's a video floating around of how to open the case with a putty knife. You can get 3rd party ram, no problem.

2 - Yes, via something such as Elgato's EyeTV

3 - No reliability issues that I can think of. The current design has been through a couple revisions now, so things have pretty much been ironed out at this point.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-01-23, 12:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
1 - iMac/PB, yes. Mac mini is tougher, but if you get the case apart should be easy since it's on the outside of the board. There's a video floating around of how to open the case with a putty knife. You can get 3rd party ram, no problem.
You can get the video here. It looks pretty easy to open it up, especially since there are no screws to undo. You should be able to open it yourself easily.
porter

2005-01-23, 14:37

Cool, thanks for the advice!