User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

What's the deal with Quicktime?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What's the deal with Quicktime?
solinari6

2005-01-28, 11:43

I can't figure this one out. This happens for all my videos... quicktime will startup and play the video, but will have the volume cranked up all the way to the max! I turn the volume down half way, but it doesn't remember that next time it starts up. I can't find any preferences anywhere to set default volume either. Am I missing something?
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-01-28, 11:49

Not to sound obnoxious, but have you tried turning down your system volume?

Each movie has its own volume preset. Unfortunately, like other things with Quicktime, IIRC it requires QT Pro to save the change in volume. Dumb, I know. (I have QT Pro, so if it isn't required for this, then good!)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-28, 11:49

Volume is saved as an attribute in the movie files themselves, not the player's preferences. By default, movie files are created with the volume at 100%.

If you want to change the default volume for a specific movie, lower it and save the file.

And, yeah, what BR said.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
solinari6

2005-01-28, 12:39

Well, my system volume is set at the proper level for listening to music and whatever. I don't want to have to monkey with that whenever I start up a movie. It's the QP volume slider that is always all the way to the right. So I have to manually set the volume of each movie I have, and the save it?

That kind of blows. I wish I could get windows media player to play mpeg4 movies on my mac, then I could stop using this stupid QP player alltogether.
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-01-28, 12:53

I have a lot of movies that are loud. I have my system volume at one bar, speakers, just under half, then suddenly there is this loud "oh look how hard you are, big boy" blaring through the house.

Annoying.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-28, 12:56

Look into VLC and/or MplayerOSx. They both play a lot more formats then QT AND they both have a "playlist" function that will save the volume of the player GLOBALLY rather then on a per-movie basis.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
solinari6

2005-01-28, 13:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Look into VLC and/or MplayerOSx. They both play a lot more formats then QT AND they both have a "playlist" function that will save the volume of the player GLOBALLY rather then on a per-movie basis.
Thanks Paul, that MplayerOSx looks pretty cool. I'll try it out tonight! If I do decide I like it, how do I make all my movies open with it? (just switched over from windows, and haven't figure out how program associations work yet...)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-28, 15:42

Select a file in the Finder
Get Info
Open with:
(choose from menu)
Change All...