User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iMac 2021
Page 2 of 11 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-20, 21:21

I think it’s fine, but it does look a little naked without a logo or something. I bet on the next revision we see a 1” or so color-matched logo there. In the darker shade seen on the rear panel.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-04-20, 22:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
You really expect a 32” iMac? I assumed it would go from 27” to 30”.
Nobody makes 30" panels, so that's very unlikely. If it goes bigger it will be 32".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
Bigger version probably coming when an M1X/M2X is available to power it. M1 in a 27" replacement would be a bit of a downgrade compared to the Intel 27" iMac, at least the higher end 27" iMac's.
The Intel iMac's are no longer listed for sale, so it's not an option unless you can find one in a store. * Never mind just found them, small link at the bottom of the page. In any case buying an Intel Mac today is a bad choice if you keep your machine for more than a few years.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-04-21, 04:02

The chin gives it personality. An iMac without any chin at all, like an iPhone with no notch, just looks stupid.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-21, 07:21

It looks like a monitor.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-04-21, 07:47

Quote:
It looks like a monitor.
Right. Which, for a computer, is kind of a boring look.
Quagmire
meh

2021-04-21, 09:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
The Intel iMac's are no longer listed for sale, so it's not an option unless you can find one in a store. * Never mind just found them, small link at the bottom of the page. In any case buying an Intel Mac today is a bad choice if you keep your machine for more than a few years.
Not saying one should buy a high end 27" Intel iMac right now. Just stating one powered by the M1 would be a downgrade. It doesn't offer the CPU or the GPU power to adequately replace it. An M1X or M2X with more CPU cores, a better GPU, and ability to handle at least 64 GB of RAM and more I/O is needed for a 27" iMac replacement.

giggity
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-21, 10:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Right. Which, for a computer, is kind of a boring look.
It is indeed, which is what I've said upthread. The chin on the iMac is the least of anyone's worries. For 22+ hours now, some people online (okay, MacRumors.com ) are acting like Apple kicked their grandmother in the head.

I've never wanted a completely bezel/chin-free iMac. The bezel can certainly be smaller around the sides and top, as needed, but the chin "grounds" it, gives a place for the logo (oops), Post-Its and makes it look like something else is going on other than just being a monitor. Silly, I know. But so is a lot of stuff in this realm (computers, tech, "digital lifestyle").

They've opened this "colors" can again, so now it'll be interesting to see a) how far they take it (notebooks, Mac mini on the next go-around, etc.?), and b) just how it will cycle/overlap (will some products have these colors, while others have those, etc.).

A year from now, Apple's website might look like Picasso threw up...all products in various colors. Or, maybe, if these new iMacs go over like a poot in church, everything's just silver/space grey once again (to the horror/dismay of some).

I will be honest: I can easily imagine (okay, I literally typed that as "iMagine" on my first go, just to show you how, after 20+ years, I'm so used to doing that, the small "I" thing in front of words...thanks, Apple) the MacBook Air (hopefully just "MacBook" soon because the "Air" isn't needed) getting these colors, and having it and the iMac share those colors (like 1999 all over again, where the "consumer" desktops and notebooks were colorful/fun). It'll be a manufacturing/shipping/stocking pain-in-the-logistical-balls...but that's Apple's problem, not mine. They'll have it out of their system in 4-5 years anyway (and we'll then go to white plastic).

But I don't think the upcoming redesigned(?) MacBook Pro or Mac Pro will go this route. In fact, I'd love to see both of those go to Space Grey, period. And I think the majority of buyers for those would be cool with that too. Something with "Pro" in the name does look a bit silly in Fisher-Price/Play-Doh hues. That's a weird disconnect that I don't think they'll do.

- MacBook and iMac in color options (if they're going to open that door again), but always offer a simple silver for those not into that look
- MacBook Pro and Mac Pro in (exclusively for the "Pro" Macs now) Space Grey (sober, low-key and no Serious User™ types are going to cry/bitch about "emasculating" colors in their office or conference rooms; you know how those people can get about appearances/image and how they come across to the world)

Then probably just leave the Mac mini as is, neutral, knowing that it's often/likely not getting paired with Apple displays, keyboard and/or mouse, so...why bother? Just keep it silver and "goes with anything". Nobody's going to squawk about that, I'm betting.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-04-21 at 11:40.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-04-21, 14:48

The modern colour thing started with the iPhone 5C, IIRC, and has been expanding slowly through Apple’s products ever since then. Most people put their phones in cases, never to be seen again, at least with the Macs you can see it. Not my cup of tea, but it’s not going anywhere me thinks.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-21, 15:02

It's been an iPod thing for much longer than that.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-21, 15:08

Like anything it’ll cycle/trend out eventually. 3-5 years is my guess. Maybe much sooner if the world doesn’t bite.

The colors on phones...yeah, I’ll never understand. Almost always covered. I’ve never seen a midnight green, product red or pacific blue (or gold, purple, green) in the wild. I may very well have, but just didn’t know it...because - you guessed it - it was in a CASE.
chucker

2021-04-21, 15:10

Quote:
It’s been hours and people at MacRumors are still wigging out that the chin remains.
Other than the white bezel, which I hope looks better in person than it looks on some of the shots, I really don't know what the hell they're talking about. This is the most exciting the iMac has looked in over a decade.

Yeah, it's not as original a design as the G3 jellybean and G4 Pixar lamp were. But it's both practical and pretty.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-21, 15:12

They don’t like anything there.

That white bezel will take getting used to, after nearly 14 years. But it’s no deal killer, IMO. It’s just different.

The iPhone 5c would’ve looked 10x nicer/for inviting with a white faceplate. With these colors, the lighter grey/white pairs better, IMO...just like the jellybean iMacs.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-21, 15:13

I think they look great. Too many colors for my taste, but there are none that look "bad". These things are the best looking iMacs since the G4 and I can't wait to see them in person. We're going to replace all of our registers with blue models, and will have a green and either silver or pink display model.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-21, 15:19

I think I like the look of these more than the specs/pricing. I can’t fully dig these because I’d be looking at a $1,699 outlay to get what I want.

But they do look neat.

I’m looking forward to the real life pics because those Apple.com beauty shots don’t always accurately convey things. They might look like shit on a biscuit in real life (we’ve yet to see any). But, so far, I like how they look. Even the silver one (so I’m not basing it all on color). They just look like a big iPad on a stick. As much as I thought the previous iMac was distilled down to its simplest form, obviously it wasn’t.

But they just seem a bit cost-y unless you’re happy with the bare minimum on the RAM and storage front. I’m fine with 256GB SSD, but I’m not about to fork over $1,500+ for an 8GB Mac in 2021.
¡Damned!

2021-04-21, 15:47

I just wish there were some 'real life' comparisons when it comes to all this M1 chip stuff. What is a 7 or 8 core M1 CPU equal to vs Intel or AMD? Is 8/16GB RAM on chip way better than the removable 8/16 RAM of last year? And what in the hell is the GPU comparable to? I realize this is a different architecture all-on-one-chip better throughput and deeper trenches and higher whatever else... but still. Give me something I can wrap my head around more than a upward arching graph pointing to M1 CHIP = BEST CHIP.

So it goes.
chucker

2021-04-21, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I just wish there were some 'real life' comparisons when it comes to all this M1 chip stuff. What is a 7 or 8 core M1 CPU equal to vs Intel or AMD? Is 8/16GB RAM on chip way better than the removable 8/16 RAM of last year? And what in the hell is the GPU comparable to? I realize this is a different architecture all-on-one-chip better throughput and deeper trenches and higher whatever else... but still. Give me something I can wrap my head around more than a upward arching graph pointing to M1 CHIP = BEST CHIP.
I mean, it's really just "it depends". But you can, say, watch various YouTube video reviews pitting an M1 laptop against an Intel-based laptop.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-21, 16:17

Or you can just jump in front of one and launch every app in the dock as quickly as you can click the mouse. Yes, I know, that isn't "processing", except that it is. All those apps launch and live in RAM. Do the same thing next to an equivalently equipped Intel machine and you'll start to get it. The M1 launches apps faster (because the SSD is faster), it sorts them faster (because the processor is faster), and it tucks them away and recovers them faster (because the RAM is not only faster, but far more efficient). The entire SOC is ridiculously quick.

The GPU is a tougher test, but it seems to be performing in the same ballpark as the Radeon 5300M in the 16" MBP, which is quite good for an integrated GPU. Considering that system is quite popular amongst creative pro's, I think this first M1 iMac is going to hold its own against a lot of much more expensive stuff.

In our "real world" here at the shop, pretty much everything we do is way faster on the M1 systems than Intel machines, other than software updates, which take a lot longer for some random reason that I'm guessing is [maybe] security related? I.e. all the bits are encrypted? or something. We haven't figured it out, yet.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
chucker

2021-04-22, 03:40

Ugh, MKBHD has joined the faction of people who are WRONG™ about the design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Or you can just jump in front of one and launch every app in the dock as quickly as you can click the mouse. Yes, I know, that isn't "processing", except that it is. All those apps launch and live in RAM. Do the same thing next to an equivalently equipped Intel machine and you'll start to get it. The M1 launches apps faster (because the SSD is faster), it sorts them faster (because the processor is faster), and it tucks them away and recovers them faster (because the RAM is not only faster, but far more efficient). The entire SOC is ridiculously quick.
It's processing, but it's an artificial test. It's impressive, but it's not actually something people do.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-22, 08:41

I just realized there is no customization options for the new iMac. You have three to chose from. Period.

There is no increasing the RAM? 8GB is all we get with that model? I mean, I know they will release a larger model but this seems really odd to me. Maybe it is just due to the fact that they aren't available yet but from Apple's site it looks like you get to chose color and storage and ports. One of three options in various colors.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2021-04-22, 08:49

It's just that they're not available to order yet. The 2-port/4-port can be upgraded to 1TB/2TB storage and they both can be upgraded to 16GB RAM. (according to the Compare Mac models page)

So it goes.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-04-22, 08:55

Quote:
It's been an iPod thing for much longer than that.
I did say modern, since colours were not much of a thing in the lineup for a good while, unless you count the white iPhone 4. The last big splash of colour before that was the last gen iPod shuffle was it not? Maybe the Nano? I guess the iPod Touch (or whatever it was called) did have colours again, but that was after the iPhone 5c launched. I’m just glad they haven’t gone with the transparent plastic of the late G3/early G4 years. It seemed cool at the time, but wow it was tacky in retrospect. Worse yet over time that plastic got full of dust and looked terrible, and cleaning it was a nightmare.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-22, 09:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
It's just that they're not available to order yet. The 2-port/4-port can be upgraded to 1TB/2TB storage and they both can be upgraded to 16GB RAM. (according to the Compare Mac models page)
Ahh... thank you for pointing that out. It really did seem so odd to me.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-22, 10:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
It's processing, but it's an artificial test. It's impressive, but it's not actually something people do.
It's just a quick, simple demo of the computer's capabilities side-by-side with an Intel equivalent.
chucker

2021-04-22, 11:17

Quote:
It's just a quick, simple demo of the computer's capabilities side-by-side with an Intel equivalent.
709 specifically asked for real-life scenarios.
¡Damned!

2021-04-22, 11:51

I like comparisons! Software wise, I probably won't find any real side-by-sides that I can personally sink my teeth into until Adobe releases native versions of Media Encoder, Premiere and After Effects. Hardware wise I'm mostly curious about the GPU and how it compares to desktop cards, and if apps can use the M1 for GPU accelerated processing.

The whole kit and caboodle living on one chip just throws me off. I don't know if I like it.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-22, 12:01

Just for giggles I did a quick test. Since we have a 16" Intel MBP and a 13" M1 MBP right next to each other, and since both have Logic Pro installed, I took the Billie Eilish track that's on there and exported it out as an AIFF at 96 kHz and 24-bit. I set both machines to start at the same time. Both machines are very quick, but the M1 was nearly twice as fast, as near as I can tell. This was not a "controlled" experiment, but it was good enough to make the point.

Granted, this is not a GPU test. There aren't any apps on the demo machines that will give me an option to test that.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-22, 14:44

The new design is fine. I do like the 'blank' chin, and the TouchID will be great.

What I don't understand are the I/O choices, which I hope are simply a low end decision and will be expanded on the larger model [27"/30"/32"]

They put the headphone jack on the left side (hooray!) but then didn't put one USB-C on the right? Huh?
I don't want to keep turning my iMac around every time I have to plug in a flash drive.

I hope the larger model adds more RAM, the SD card slot (on the side), 10-Gig Ethernet port and standardizes on TB/USB 4.
I don't like two sets of USB ports. Let's go all-in.

It's also fascinating that after 15 or so years, Apple's brightest minds still can't figure out how to make an adjustable-height iMac.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-22, 15:04

Ken, you need to let us know if we can pair the TouchID keyboards to other T2 Macs like the MBP and mini. Really, I just want to know for my MBP I use as a desktop but proof of concept is good for me.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-22, 15:12

They can be paired to any M1 Mac, but not to any Intel models, regardless of the presence of a T2 chip.

And good luck getting hold of one.

That's what we know for now.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-22, 15:13