What's your personality type?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What's your personality type?
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-03-13, 23:04

I've always been interested in things like this, and I feel for the most part they are true. The Myers-Briggs type tests seem to be a little more accurate than a "Which Operating System Are You."

I enjoy reading about my personality type because I feel it describes me fairly well, and reading about it does help me understand some problems and reasons about the way I am. (Bad combination of two sentences huh?)

Me, I am an ISTP, which means I am somewhat reserved and brutally honest. I also have problems opening up to people...which I have to say has caused relationship problems before.

So what personality type are you?

TypeLogic has a detailed description of my type, and you'll see links at the top of the page for all of your types too.

PersonalityTypes has a nice description of how your personality type fits in with your relationships.

Edit: I have some idea, but I'll be very interested in how some of you turn out if you have time to do it. The test I linked to isn't too long, but it's not short. It's slightly shorter then most other tests, but it seems detailed enough to get the same results that all the other tests gave me.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-03-13, 23:17

I've taken Myers-Briggs many times, and I swear each time I get a different result. It's just not consistent for me.

Which means I'm either quite insane, or just a deep and varied person.

Naw, I'm just nuts.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-03-13, 23:19

Myers-Briggs is flawed, as if that needed to be said. I've taken it a few times, once on my own, once for a class, and once with a psychologist. I've been an INTP, INTJ, and INFP. A lot of it depends on the mood you're in when you take it.

I had taken the "full" test before. It had well over a hundred or two hundred questions, as I recall. There are several little online versions like this that do a so-so job. It's amazing how many of those I answered "I'm really in between" or that I thought were poorly worded.

So, this time around it gave me ISTP. Well, at least the "I" is consistent!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-03-13, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Naw, I'm just nuts.
Hear hear!
ast3r3x

2005-03-13, 23:27

Flawed? Yeah, but still one of the more respected tests for personality types. There are some more full tests online at different places, but I figured the attention span of AN'ers couldn't be guaranteed

On the real test, and all the ones I've taken online, I've been ISTP, although with the ones that display how much of something you are, I've had that vary.

Edit: I do have to say I think the questions are pretty transparent. The real test is a lot more discreet and seems like it's asking you the same 10 questions over and over. I think a lot of people change their answers depending on how they interpret the questions that day. What I try to do, is picture myself in multiple scenarios of the question and see which applies most.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-03-14, 00:22

I have always been either INTP or INTJ. My extroversion has increased recently, basically it was either find friends or bury myself in my self-induced misery.

Eh. But I got rid of them three weeks ago.

Nice.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-03-14, 01:39

My test result was ESFP.

Well, I *am* an extrovert. That's one thing that's true. Not so sure about the rest of it.

The ESFP descriptive paragraph:
Quote:
ESFPs are fun and delightful to be with. They live for the moment, and know how to make the most of each moment. They are genuinely, warmly interested in people, and love to make others happy. They're usually very kind-hearted and generous, and are always going out of their way to do something nice for someone. Their affection is simple, straight-forward and honest. They dislike theory and complexities. They often resist forming relationships which require them to function on a high Intuitive or Thinking level. They prefer for things to be light and happy, although their warmth and affection runs deep. Their potential downfall is the tendency to live entirely for the present moment, and therefore to sometimes be unaware of the direction that their relationship is heading, or to be easily distracted from long-term commitments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
I have some idea, but I'll be very interested in how some of you turn out if you have time to do it.
So what do you think, ast3r3x?

It said I would match up best with ISTJ or ISFJ.

Edit: Omg. I just read about my supposed best match - ISTJ, and it sounds exactly like Alcimedes.

Oh my.

Hey, Alcimedes. If you have a chance, read the ISTJ and tell me if you think that sounds like you.

Last edited by Windswept : 2005-03-14 at 03:58.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-03-14, 02:11

Yeah... I started to look into this type of stuff about 3 or 4 months ago. Each time I have taken a variation of the MBTI I ended up with INTP (or the equivalent) and it seems to fit pretty well...

This time:
Quote:
Test Results

Your personality type is INTP.

Introverted (I) 89%
Extraverted (E) 11%

Intuitive (N) 95%
Sensing (S) 5%

Thinking (T) 70%
Feeling (F) 30%

Perceiving (P) 82%
Judging (J) 18%
I like this variation... I'm curious to see what murbot would score... this, this, or this?
Carol of course would be the dirty little secret... :smokey:

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)

Last edited by Paul : 2005-03-14 at 10:33. Reason: Added test results & link.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-03-14, 02:26

It pegged me as an INTJ, and the description sounds about right. The bit about perfectionism was certainly right.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-03-14, 02:29

The Stiletto...
Wrao
Yarp

2005-03-14, 03:45

I've taken said test twice, once I was ENTP and the other time I was INTP

edit: just got ENTP from asterix's link. But, I really think I'm more introverted than extroverted even though it said I was over 70% extroverted, *shrug*
ast3r3x

2005-03-14, 08:27

Yes!

I'm the pool boy.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-03-14, 09:29

I'm clinically insane. No, really.
¡Damned!

2005-03-14, 10:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
or this?
um....

hey, I was honest.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-03-14, 10:12

The MBTI is not one of the more respected personality tests, actually. It's a fun pop-psychology thing more than anything else these days. But I'm not going to get all business-like here.
ast3r3x

2005-03-14, 10:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
The MBTI is not one of the more respected personality tests, actually. It's a fun pop-psychology thing more than anything else these days. But I'm not going to get all business-like here.
Yeah...ok so I'm full of shit. But this is the the test I see most often used by health teachers and in career advising places. So I just took a guess

I don't suppose you know of any more respected types that are free online do ya?
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-03-14, 10:40

oh yeah, it absolutely is pop-psychology... but it is better then astrology!!!
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-03-14, 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol
Edit: Omg. I just read about my supposed best match - ISTJ, and it sounds exactly like Alcimedes.

Oh my.

Hey, Alcimedes. If you have a chance, read the ISTJ and tell me if you think that sounds like you.
Sorry, that description is off. Although bits and pieces were accurate, as a whole I would say it doesn't describe me well. The only part is has right is the truth vs. comfort section.

this version of the test is a bit poor. any test that gives you A or B as your only options isn't going to be very accurate.

so torifile, what's a professional recommend for a personality test?

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-03-14, 11:46

I've taken the Myers-Briggs at least 6 times and the only consistent thing about it was that I was very Introverted.
I ranged from istp to infj.

The test rated me as a ISTP:
Introverted (I) 75% Extraverted (E) 25%
Sensing (S) 50% Intuitive (N) 50%
Thinking (T) 50% Feeling (F) 50%
Perceiving (P) 55% Judging (J) 45%

My Abnormal Psyc. teacher in college gave me the MB 3 times. He came to the conclusion that I was one of the few people that could not be pegged by the MB test since my answers were dependent on my mood. He eventually said that I was something like this: I*F*
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-03-14, 12:38

So that means I'd be a ****?

Cool, I look like a swear word.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-03-14, 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
Sorry, that description is off. Although bits and pieces were accurate, as a whole I would say it doesn't describe me well. The only part is has right is the truth vs. comfort section.

this version of the test is a bit poor. any test that gives you A or B as your only options isn't going to be very accurate.

so torifile, what's a professional recommend for a personality test?
Okay, so maybe this version isn't the greatest in the world. But it's *here now*, so why not take it? Five minutes of your time. Yes?

I'd also love to see results from Kickaha, murbeau and DMBand (my Leo pal). C'mon guys. Just DO IT!!!
Wrao
Yarp

2005-03-14, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretara
I've taken the Myers-Briggs at least 6 times and the only consistent thing about it was that I was very Introverted.
I've heard from other studies that introvert and extrovert are things that you with are or you aren't, even though you can throw a bunch of extroverted stuff onto yourself, you would always be introverted at heart. *shrug* I think that that study was kinda bologna, but there was one guy I met who staunchly stood behind it.
ast3r3x

2005-03-14, 12:46

Quote:
Okay, so maybe this version isn't the greatest in the world. But it's *here now*, so why not take it? Five minutes of your time. Yes?

I'd also love to see results from Kickaha, murbeau and DMBand (my Leo pal). C'mon guys. Just DO IT!!!
There are always people that want to ruin fun little things like this. I am normally one of them

Carol, this seemed to peg you pretty well, what do you think? I can't say I couldn't have guessed a lot of that about your personality though
¡Damned!

2005-03-14, 13:05

INTP for me:

Introverted (I) 68%...Extraverted (E) 32%
Intuitive (N) 82%...Sensing (S) 18%
Thinking (T) 85%...Feeling (F) 15%
Perceiving (P) 77%...Judging (J) 23%

The description seems about right...that is when I'm not being a manwhore according to Paul's test.

So it goes.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-03-14, 13:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
There are always people that want to ruin fun little things like this. I am normally one of them

Carol, this seemed to peg you pretty well, what do you think? I can't say I couldn't have guessed a lot of that about your personality though
Yes, Ast3r3x, an amazing amount of it holds true - some of it uncomfortably so, like the avoidance of conflict/confrontation.

I didn't save my percentage scores, but I think I remember that the Extrovert/Introvert was 50%-50%. That surprised me; but then, in astrology I'm a Leo sun sign with a Gemini moon; so the 50-50 extro/intro holds true there as well.

At the risk of annoying Luca (sorry, Luca ): I have a Leo sun sign, Leo rising sign and Leo in Venus. I think 709 is the person who knows what all that means. heh. heh. *blush* (No wonder he knows; he's a 'hornivore'! )

And Paul - "dirty little secret"? Omg. How did you *know* that???? Yikes!!!! YIKES!!!!!

Last edited by Windswept : 2005-03-14 at 13:19.
xionja

2005-03-14, 13:13

hahaha INFJ

didn't tell me anything i didn't already know . . .

' INFJs, like their fellow intuitives, may be so absorbed in intuitive perceiving that they become oblivious to physical reality"

happens at least once a week that i walk into something or somebody waves a hand in my face to see if i'm alive . . .

"Their amazing ability to deduce the inner workings of the mind, will and emotions of others gives INFJs their reputation as prophets and seers"

why yes . . .

haha that was funny
¡Damned!

2005-03-14, 13:18

Quote:
...in astrology I'm a Leo sun sign with a Gemini moon; so the 50-50 extro/intro holds true there as well.

At the risk of annoying Luca (sorry, Luca ), I have a Leo sun sign, Leo rising sign and Leo in Venus. I think 709 is the person who knows what all that means. heh. heh. *blush* (No wonder he knows; he's a 'hornivore'! )

Gemini sun, Leo rising, Leo in Venus, Leo Moon, Leo in....you get the picture.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-03-14, 13:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709

Gemini sun, Leo rising, Leo in Venus, Leo Moon, Leo in....you get the picture.
OH. MY. GOD!!!

Can. You. Just. IMAGINE?????

InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-03-14, 13:26

Your personality type is INTJ.
Introverted (I) 100% Extraverted (E) 0%
Intuitive (N) 77% Sensing (S) 23%
Thinking (T) 80% Feeling (F) 20%
Judging (J) 50% Perceiving (P) 50%

How shocking, I'm an introvert!!!
¡Damned!