User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

software to remap 'Caps Lock' key to 'Enter'?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
software to remap 'Caps Lock' key to 'Enter'?
malcolm

2005-09-07, 19:28

Hi there,
I know apps like uControl will re-map various keys, but from what I've read, none of them will do what I particularly want: to re-map the Caps Lock key to an Enter key (uControl remaps it to a Control key). I'd like to do this so I can handle more operations with just my left hand on the keyboard.
Am I missing something obvious? Or does anyone know if there is a way to re-map that obnoxious Caps Lock key to an extra Enter key (on the left-hand side of the keyboard!)
thanks,
Malcolm
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-09-07, 20:02

I'm a little confused overall, but these may help you.
malcolm

2005-09-08, 14:02

thanks for the tip, but all those apps seem to remap the Caps Lock key to a Control key, and I'd like an extra 'Enter' key on the left-hand side of my powerbook keyboard.
I feel I'm missing something here, because I can't figure out why other powerbook users would even want to turn their Caps Lock keys into another 'Control' key - - there's already a Control key, two keys below. What's the point in having two Control keys, that close to one another?
What I'd like is to make the Caps Lock key an 'Enter' key (there's no enter key on the left-hand side of the powerbook keyboard), but I suspect that, if this were possible, at least one of those little apps would do it.
Does anyone know - - is it simply too complicated, hardware or software-wise, to remap the Caps Lock key to an 'Enter' key?
Thanks for any advice,
Malcolm
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-08, 14:07

I think you're the odd man out, Malcolm. I've never heard of anyone putting an enter key where the caps lock key normally is.

Having the control key there, though, is not uncommon at all. Lots of Unix-based machines have shipped over the decades with the control key and caps lock key in each other's position (when compared to other PC keyboards). We still have at least a hundred Sun machines on campus with keyboards like this.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-09-08, 14:37

I remember that type of thing from the ][GS

Why can't you use the enter key on the right side of the keyboard, do you not have a right hand pinkie finger? Do you mean a return key, or specifically enter? Enter only exists because there is a keypad over there.

If anything, I'd like to disable the caps lock, that's one thing I hit often by accident and annoyingly notice.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-08, 14:47

Oh MAN. I remember that keyboard now! I can even remember the hollow clicky feel of the caps lock key in that corner. Good times!

Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane, *.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-09-08, 17:49

I used to use uControl on my iBook but never really started using my "new Ctrl" while I used the iBook keyboard. Now I got a Happy Hacking Lite2 keyboard whose left side has exactly the layout in the picture: Ctrl where it's supposed to be, and note that Esc is also much closer than it would be on the "regular layout", so you actually don't have to leave the home row for Vim editing at all. The only thing that I'd replace without a second thought is that I'd stick on a full set of F keys. Now only way I can press F1 is by pressing Fn+1.

This is one sweet, sweet keyboard, has two downstream USB ports, is tidy black, and not an inch wider than it needs to be. I only need to rotate my right hand 15 degrees towards the right, keeping the elbow on the desk, and my hand is on the mouse. Reverse, my hand is on the home row.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-09-08, 17:57

Of course, the ctrl in that position adds a lot of keypress combinations that become possible to do while using WASD keys to move. This helps a lot in my WoW playing

http://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/en/hhkeyb...mages/200B.jpg
It might not be the best there is, but I never used a keyboard that came close.