New iPod info from ThinkSecret!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New iPod info from ThinkSecret!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-14, 12:33

Good stuff here!

Orange? Did I read that correctly?!? Anyone want a good deal on a white 15GB iPod in about a month? Seriously, contact me as the time nears...

Smaller, sleeker, looking a bit like the mini in design...nice!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2004-07-14 at 12:47.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2004-07-14, 12:44

I'm for "smaller and sleeker" , make the sucker small so that someday I'll get my dream. An Apple smartphone with iTMS support. But for now a nice sleek iPod will suffice.

omgwtfbbq
MacUsers

2004-07-14, 12:48

Send a message if you want to buy my 20 gig
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-14, 12:59

Pipe down, you chiselin' bastard! I done staked mah claim on this here thread!
thequicksilver

Send a message via AIM to thequicksilver Send a message via MSN to thequicksilver Send a message via Skype™ to thequicksilver 
2004-07-14, 13:25

Interesting article. I was a little confused by the statement though that this new iPod would "become the new 'standard' of the iPod line and will slowly replace over time the existing white iPod models". So from what this says, it's not going to replace the white iPod, but will form some kind of middle ground between the mini and the whites for the time being.

Unless I've misread…? I certainly hope I have, I'd not be too enamoured with the idea of a third iPod design out there.
sCreeD

Send a message via AIM to sCreeD  
2004-07-14, 13:28

At least I'm not the only one confused by that article.

...aroused... but confused.

Oh, BTW, "smaller and sleeker" means no video iPod. Confirmed!

Screed
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-07-14, 13:37

boy though, with a video iPod think of the pr0n swaps you could manage with friends. meet up with murbot for an hour or two in an afternoon and you'd be able to fill your iPod with all new material.
biggnthed

Well, I hope they still put it out in white along with the other colors.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

I just hope that a standard white is offered. Seems odd that Apple would abandon such a recognizable, iconic look. But things change, I guess.

When I hear purple, orange and yellow, I wonder what KIND of purple, orange and yellow? Bright and gaudy, or muted and sophisticated? Glossy? Matte? Plastic or aluminum? Solid color or color with white or silver accents and buttons? So many questions...

Can't wait to see 'em!
MacUsers

2004-07-14, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Pipe down, you chiselin' bastard! I done staked mah claim on this here thread!
I got 5 more gigs than you... this thread is mine now!
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2004-07-14, 13:59

Wow this is gunna be sweet. I didnt even expect a refresh of iPods until at least september. Now I just need some money. Guess im off to the pawn shop today.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-07-14, 14:22

I'm confused. The article mentions similar design to the mini, but features of the whites, this leads me to question the most important feature to me. The scroll wheel or the click wheel? What do you guys think?

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2004-07-14, 14:38

Awesome.

Yellow is my favorite color, and it's long been ignored by, well, everybody. Even the iPod mini comes in gold. I want yellow! Bright yellow! No metallic/clear crap!

And now I might just get my chance. I won't even have to pay $50 for Colorware to paint mine (up until now, that was well worth it - they even make the screen less scratchable!).

I love Apple

I just hope the new iMacs turn out OK - rumor has it, it's more of a "guts glommed on the back" design, and if it's anything like the current monitors (as it is believed) then I don't like it. The new screens are gorgeous and professional - but far too square for the iMac line.

Oh well, this is an iPod thread, so I'll take my worrying someplace else.

I just hope the rumors of colored iPods are true...but they should still keep white too, because, well, it's like Apple's trademark now. Just like clear blue was back in the day.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-14, 15:03

Now this I like. Show me a 4G iPod and I'll show you the $$ Apple! I'm ready to buy, all I need now is the product and for someone to help me choose which color

Come waste your time with me
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-07-14, 15:07

Quote:
I wonder what KIND of purple, orange and yellow? Bright and gaudy, or muted and sophisticated? Glossy? Matte? Plastic or aluminum?
Questions, questions.... I immediately thought of you, pscates, when I read orange. But you beat me to the punch.

My dream would be a matte "warm" yellow (tending towards red/orange) iPod with a rubberized splash-proof outer shell. Kind of like the Sony Sports walkmen of yore. I'm still not comfortable with Apple's fragile iPod design.

Now that I have a giant HDD in my PowerBook, I have started ripping my CD collection (about 3 years after everyone else). So I'll be in the market for an iPod shortly. Bring it on!

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-14, 15:07

You can't go wrong with orange.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-14, 15:09

I'm excited to hear this news, it seems as though the 4G iPod is not so far off afterall! I recently bought a mini, and i have no money, so i wont be able to buy the next iPod...even though I already want that orange one. Damn.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-07-14, 15:10

Quote:
You can't go wrong with orange.
I wonder whether they'll feature matching color earbuds too. Or will the colors be subdued, like on the mini, with white earbuds?

Escher
wildspin

2004-07-14, 15:26

I'll have no interest in this friggin' thing at all until they bring the darned ITMS into Canada ... why the heck is it so difficult? :smokey:
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-14, 15:39

Well, it's Canada for starters...
Wrao
Yarp

2004-07-14, 15:47

Paul likes orange!

I think a Purple iPod could look really slick, if it was a dark Purple.

Man, I wish Apple used my color changing LED backlight idea, that'd be neat.

Of course, with all the colors, they'd probably end up looking tacky AND the new iPods will most likely use the iPod mini scroll design so there probably won't be a backlight under the keys anymore, unless. Ooh, that'd be slick if they have like just the center button have a backlight under it.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2004-07-14, 21:12

Ya that blacklight under the click wheel would be pretty sick alright. Just make the light under the center button and around the wheel itself and make the light match the colour of the iPod or better yet, make it so that you can change the LED to what ever colour you like. Sorry, got a little carried away.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-07-14, 21:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyafterdark
Ya that blacklight under the click wheel would be pretty sick alright. Just make the light under the center button and around the wheel itself and make the light match the colour of the iPod or better yet, make it so that you can change the LED to what ever colour you like. Sorry, got a little carried away.
not at all, I think it's a totally neat idea, the technology is there(color changing LEDs) LEDs are dirt cheap AND tiny. it's certainly a possibility , but eh, who knows.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2004-07-14, 21:18

Then they should do it, it will make the iPod stand out even better.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-07-14, 21:40

The next iPod is going to be announced before August
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-14, 21:45

That wouldn't surprise me. In fact...ah, nevermind.

Earlier than expected.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-07-14, 22:37

Mmmm - new iPod talk.

When they get a colour screen - I'm in! Been waiting too long - but can still afford to wait a while longer, for my "dream" model.

However, if I'm to be tempted, I might go the pscates way and choose an orange one. I also concur with Escher that Apple might be trying to introduce a rugged model a'la the Sony Walkman Sports of yesteryear. Expanding the product line to appeal to more people and then gradually incorporating those new features into the standard models... but we'll have to wait and see.

All I want is a simple life
twitter

Last edited by Mac+ : 2004-07-14 at 22:51. Reason: typo
drewprops
Space Pirate

2004-07-14, 22:40

Mmmmmmm OLED screen in a Safety Yellow iPod?
I am sooooooooo glad that I waited until this Summer!!!!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-14, 22:47

I for one am strongly AGAINST a color screen. That's just one more superfluous feature that doesn't add anything at all to usability while draining the already small battery life even more. Plus, passive matrix color LCDs look awful compared to passive matrix monochrome LCDs, so if you wanted the screen to look good it would have to use an even more expensive and power-hungry active matrix color LCD. No thanks.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-07-14, 22:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
I for one am strongly AGAINST a color screen. That's just one more superfluous feature that doesn't add anything at all to usability while draining the already small battery life even more. Plus, passive matrix color LCDs look awful compared to passive matrix monochrome LCDs, so if you wanted the screen to look good it would have to use an even more expensive and power-hungry active matrix color LCD. No thanks.
kind of like a 4GB iPod that's just a bit smaller than the 15GB, and only $50 cheaper is stupid. (i know, i said it too).

there's no accounting for taste. sometimes it's important to remember that most of us are spec whores. we're not typical.