User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Haven't restarted your mac in months? Here's a reason to...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Haven't restarted your mac in months? Here's a reason to...
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-02-01, 09:22

http://freepage.twoday.net/stories/3255345/

Quote:
The first of February 2007: Participate in the biggest mobilization of Citizens Against Global Warming! The Alliance for the Planet (a group of environmental associations) is calling on all citizens to create 5 minutes of electrical rest for the planet. People all over the world should turn off their lights and electrical appliances on the first of February 2007, between 10.55 and 11am in British Columbia, 1.55pm and 2.00pm in New York, 18.55 for London, and 19.55 for Paris, Bruxelles and Italy. This is not just about saving 5 minutes worth of electricity; this is about getting the attention of the media, politicians, and ourselves. Five minutes of electrical down time for the planet. This does not take long, and costs nothing, and will show all political leaders that global warming is an issue that needs to come first and foremost in political debate.

Why Feb 1? This is the day when the new UN report on global climate change will come out in Paris. This event affects us all, involves us all, and provides an occasion to show how important an issue global warming is to us. If we all participate, this action can have real media and political weight. Please circulate this call to your utmost ability to your network.
So, what do you think, will you be turning off?

I can't help but notice that while this seems fine for you North Americans, at 18.55 here it will be dark...
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-02-01, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
http://freepage.twoday.net/stories/3255345/

So, what do you think, will you be turning off?

I can't help but notice that while this seems fine for you North Americans, at 18.55 here it will be dark...
Actually, I would be more inclined to completely participate at night. During the day, I'm at work... and there's no way we'll shut down anything there. I'll turn off my computer instead of putting it to sleep before heading in, though. Everything else in my household (save the fridge and various clocks) is off normally, anyways.
intlplby
Veteran Member

2007-02-01, 11:25

the power grids need to have a load...... if all the power using devices were abruptly shut off at once then the power grid would have a problem
frizz

Send a message via AIM to frizz Send a message via Skype™ to frizz 
2007-02-01, 18:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by intlplby View Post
the power grids need to have a load...... if all the power using devices were abruptly shut off at once then the power grid would have a problem
Yeah.. If you think about it it would be like shorting a battery.. that can't be good.

Using less power seems a great idea though. Maybe everyone will unplug their laptops for an hour or so.

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.