Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

My first Youtube video, made in iMovie!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
My first Youtube video, made in iMovie!
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2007-09-28, 19:32

My first attempt at making a movie with iMovie for youtube. I used iMovie HD 6, even though I have iMovie 08...that program just makes no sense to me.

It's about one of the greatest stories in sports history, IMHO, when Mark Messier guaranteed victory in Game 6 for the new york rangers in the '94 eastern conference finals vs. the devils.

here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdN-QCOUPMU

It took me a while because a lot of the video was taken from VHS tapes converted to .dv files. The whole thing took about 15 hours over the course of a week, i'd say.

I made it because at work one day i was looking up hockey videos, and typed in to see all the videos relating to this particular scenario...but they were all crap! I just felt none of them did it justice, so hopefully mine is a little better and gets the point across.

critiques are welcome, i am a complete novice and it got frustrating at times...but iMovie HD really made it a lot of fun to do. It was a positive way to get my mind off some other things, too.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-09-28, 19:36

Nice video, but err... brings back bad memories of 94... err NY.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-09-28, 20:02

I don't even follow hockey, but I got into this. Quite inspirational actually ... good narrative flow and the clips were well put together. My only criticism is that the text portions really dragged out toward the end. Was this a case of stretching it out so that it sync'ed to the music track?

Btw, nice to hear some VH in there as well. According to pre-concert reviews they're back and sounding great. <-Eddie (?)

All I want is a simple life
twitter
zsummers
Avast!

2007-09-29, 00:26

Great video--iMovie is totally a blast, no? You did really well with the audio, especially. I agree that the text at the end is a bit much, but you're not supposed to be the Wild World of Sports video editor either. I thought your fades and cuts and playbacks were really nice generally--better than a lot of the football segments Fox puts together, for sure. And besides the goosebumps it gave me, it was informative to boot--I never have heard of the story or the game before, but it really gave me great appreciation for Mark Messier. Thanks for sharing.

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2007-09-29, 02:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
I don't even follow hockey, but I got into this. Quite inspirational actually ... good narrative flow and the clips were well put together. My only criticism is that the text portions really dragged out toward the end. Was this a case of stretching it out so that it sync'ed to the music track?

Btw, nice to hear some VH in there as well. According to pre-concert reviews they're back and sounding great. <-Eddie (?)
Yeah, i couldn't help it with the text at the end. I really wanted to get the story across, not just jumble a bunch of highlights together...and I tried to be as concise as I could!
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2007-09-29, 02:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsummers View Post
Great video--iMovie is totally a blast, no? You did really well with the audio, especially. I agree that the text at the end is a bit much, but you're not supposed to be the Wild World of Sports video editor either. I thought your fades and cuts and playbacks were really nice generally--better than a lot of the football segments Fox puts together, for sure. And besides the goosebumps it gave me, it was informative to boot--I never have heard of the story or the game before, but it really gave me great appreciation for Mark Messier. Thanks for sharing.
I'm so glad you got something out of it!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-09-29, 02:26

Actually, I just re-read my post MBHockey and I noticed that I didn't congratulate you on the effort. I did enjoy it and was duly impressed by the story and the way you put it together really helped sell it. Like zsummers, I also gained an appreciation for the talents of Mark Messier.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
AWR
Veteran Member

2007-09-29, 02:40

Nice job! Thanks for putting it up.
zsummers
Avast!

2007-09-29, 11:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHockey View Post
Yeah, i couldn't help it with the text at the end. I really wanted to get the story across, not just jumble a bunch of highlights together...and I tried to be as concise as I could!
Well, I'd happily watch the story of the Finals that year as well, if it were made with as much passion and care as you made this story. Maybe when you get a chance you can replace the text with some of that--although who knows when you'll eek out another 15 hours for a week. Regardless, great job. And if you do get the time, do share.

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2007-09-29, 12:57

Yeah, i would definitely be open to doing one on the Finals..but this one was more about Game 6. I just wanted to throw in the fact that they went on to win it all afterwards because i felt like it gave the situation more meaning than if people were left thinking, "so, um, did they just lose in the finals after that?"
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2010-09-22, 14:14

Hey guys -- been a while i know, but i need some help here. Youtube totally messed up this video! It's been up for 3 years and now all of a sudden youtube shows it as 11 minutes in length (actual length is 7:11) and the audio/video is all out of sync and stuttering. It's unwatchable now!

I wrote to them but I don't know how this could possibly get fixed. I don't have the original any longer!

Have you guys ever seen this before?
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2010-09-22, 20:10

Ah, I FOUND IT !!!

It was on an old external drive but in the iMovie HD format. I always wanted to get around to figuring out how to install that over iLife '09 and I found instructions on the interwebz that worked flawlessly. In the three years I've had iMovie '08 and its successors I haven't made a single video. Going to re-upload to Youtube i guess. Too bad I lose all my views and comments =\