User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Airport Express with networked fileserver

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Airport Express with networked fileserver
davidb

2005-03-21, 06:54

Just got myself a mini, which I'm really happy with (see thread here). Now I've checked that I can get my wired ethernet LAN working properly, I want to buy an Airport Express so I can move my slackware fileserver somewhere quieter, but I've got a question before I buy:

My plan would be to use my existing 4-port router (it's a combined ADSL modem & hub). The slackware box would be wired to the router (don't really want to buy a wireless card for it). The Airport Express would then also be plugged into the router, with my hi-fi connected to the AE as well. The mini would then get onto the LAN using its built-in Airport Extreme. Firstly, I'm presuming my mini would be able to see the fileserver over the LAN? And if it can, would I be able to use AirTunes to play mp3's (that are stored on the [wired] server) on my hi-fi, via iTunes on the [wireless] mini? At the moment I access the mp3's by mounting them via an NFS share, but I can change this if necessary (e.g. Samba and Netatalk are set up on the fileserver).
SledgeHammer

2005-03-21, 10:58

That sounds about right. I can't be sure about the iTunes setup, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
davidb

2005-03-21, 16:01

OK, thanks. Just placed my order, so I'll report back on how it works when it arrives
davidb

2005-03-30, 10:13

Just to follow up on this, it works I now have my server providing mp3's via an NFS share wirelessly, and iTunes in turn plays them through my hi-fi It all worked out of the box, too, most impressive.