User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

911 AppleNova Assistance Requested - I'm making sushi tonight! Help!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
911 AppleNova Assistance Requested - I'm making sushi tonight! Help!
Fooboy

2009-01-31, 18:05

I love sushi. I mean LOVE it. My wife loves sushi as well. We both love it so much - we are going to *TRY* to make it tonight.

I think we will start out simple this first time. A butt-load of Tuna rolls.

I got the basic supplies down or am about to go purchase them. But I have a couple burning questions:

1) Bought 2 x frozen sushimi grade tuna ... what is the best way to thaw it out without compromising the fish flavor / texture etc. Oh ya, its 6:00 PM and I'd like to eat it by 9:00 PM.

2) Do you need to refridgerate the rice after making it? I know I need sushi rice and ricewine vinegar.

ANY TIPS APPRECIATED!!!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-01-31, 19:25

You might try checking out one of those online recipe sites or foodnetwork.com and looking up the various recipes for tuna rolls. Alas I know nothing of this so-called Sushi technology, or I'd help. Even if you do suck at Paradise Paintball.

*ducks*

I kid, I kid...

...into the light of a dark black night.
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2009-01-31, 20:24

Quality of fish is generally the most significant issue that can't be achieved at home. Harder to judge fish than any slab of beef certainly.
Fooboy

2009-01-31, 20:24

You insult my paintball skillz in a sushi thread?

Negative rep points for you!
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-01-31, 20:26

Avoid the Fugu.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-01-31, 21:10

So, it's past 9 PM… how'd it go?

Man, I want some sushi now. Too bad the local sushi restaurants aren't open 24/7 like the McDonalds are!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Fooboy

2009-01-31, 22:05

Ha!

I give the night a 7.79879 / 10.

The most appropriate comment was that the quality is totally dependent on the tuna. One steak was perfect and fresh - no smell.. One was a tad fishy - had this filet been more fresh (no smell) I would have given the night a 9.5/10.

I made Spicy tuna rolls (mayo, cayenne and sesame oil for the sauce). Got the sushi rice, rice wine vinegar (for combination with the rice), sushi paper, sesame oil, and tuna from a local supermarket.

I made WAY too much. see below. We probably ate a roll or 2 making the stuff too. Didn't come close to finishing it all.

it was a lot of work but it was fun too. I will definitely do it again.

Oh ya, I just stuck the steaks (sashimi grade, vacuumed packed, in plastic) in a bowl of water for an hour.

And just for fun ... me and my son from a couple weeks ago

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-01-31, 22:18

Looks delicious, I like tuna rolls and you certainly gave me a sushi craving just like Brad.

How was rolling them?
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2009-02-01, 20:56

I made California rolls a couple of times. Doing it yourself makes the cost of eating at a nice sushi restaurant seem very reasonable in terms of value for the money. It looks so simple, but it's a real pain to do it yourself, unlike most other foods you can purchase ready-made.

Ugh.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-02-01, 21:00

Anybody who ever wants the best sushi in the world, go to Zushi Puzzle in San Francisco and sit at the bar. The chef's name is Roger, and he makes the best sushi ever. But it's not cheap.