AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

PCT: Motion (December 2010)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
PCT: Motion (December 2010)
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2010-12-01, 22:17

One of my favorite (and most challenging, for me) things in photography is capturing Motion. The idea is actually fairly counterintuitive, because what we perceive as motion is simply a continuous stream of static images. Thus, we need to imply motion in our photographs, and this can be done in countless ways. The most common (although usually not intentionally ) is through blurring, whether by letting your subject move through your scene or panning your camera to follow your subject, or whatever other method you can dream up. On the other end of the spectrum is completely stopping motion. What happens in the split second that our eyes and our cameras at a longer shutter speed might only see as blur? Stopping motion can create some extremely powerful pictures and while there's no evidence of movement directly showing up in the picture, we have to infer it with our minds. Think about the diver, frozen at the peak of his jump. We know in our minds that he'll start falling gracefully towards the water, but through freezing time we can see so much more than what our eyes alone bear witness to.

This month your task is to capture an image of something moving, and artfully show off that motion. Lots of things move, so get creative

Rules: Same as before, no heavy duty editing, including HDR(which would be pretty tough given the prompt). More importantly have fun!

Entries must be submitted by December 30th at 11:59pm CST. Regrettably I won't be able to access a computer easily between new years eve (afternoon) and the 2nd of January because I will be celebrating the new year and then promptly the next morning driving from TX to Las Vegas and I don't want to leave you guys hanging out waiting for your judgement I will make my decision late the night of the 30th or morning of the 31st.

The beginning of the next contest will also mark the one year anniversary of the Applenova Photo Challenge! (or whatever it's called) Big round of applause for all the participants.

Some example images:
Stopped Motion

Blurry Motion

Previous Challenge
Oct 2010 - Outside the Frame
Winner:evan
Runner up: PB PM / GSpotter / Turtle / exkcdude
Creator: BuonRotto

Older Challenges
Sept 2010 - Leading Lines
Winner: BuonRotto
Runner up: GSpotter, evan
Creator: PB PM
August 2010 - Refractions & Reflections
Winner: julesstoop
Runner up:PB PM
Creator: Gargoyle
Jul 2010 - Respiration and Photosynthesis
Winner: Gargoyle
Runner up: Bryson
Creator: billybobsky
Jun 2010 - Self Portrait
Winner: billybobsky
Runner up: Turtle
Creator: Chinney
May 2010 - The Delicious Dish
Winner: Chinney
Runner up: AWR
Creator: Brad
Apr 2010 - Spring is in the air
Winner: Brad
Runner up: billybobsky
Creator: GSpotter
Mar 2010 - Transportation
Winner: GSpotter
Runner up: not specified
Creator: Dorian Gray
Feb 2010 - Abstract (or, in other words, "What the heck is that?")
Winner: Dorian Gray
Runner up: not specified
Creator: Chinney
Jan 2010 - Winter (original contest)
Winner: Chinney
Runner up: julesstoop
Creator: PB PM
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-12-03, 06:15

A traditional theme from the early days of photography...and a good one.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-12-03, 17:01

Sounds like a great topic. Just a reminder for everyone, that one of the rules has always been that the photo submitted must be taken during the period of the challenge.
oddjob

2010-12-03, 17:14

Oops. I withdraw my entry then.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2010-12-03, 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob View Post
Oops. I withdraw my entry then.
you're still more than welcome to keep the picture up (in fact I encourage it)! It just won't count for the contest
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-12-04, 15:13

Just as further inspiration for this thread...this is what immediately comes to mind when I think of "motion" photos. A famous shot by probably my favourite photographer, Henri Cartier-Bresson:

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-12-10, 17:19

This could be my entry, not sure yet.

Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-12-10, 19:53

It's great.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2010-12-26, 02:13

Thank you PB PM for posting one of your own!

I've decided to push the deadline back to take advantage of new years eve - It'd be a shame for such a great holiday to not be included as an opportunity for a photo challenge. I'll still be driving to Vegas on the first but we'll stop in a hotel for the night and I can take 20 minutes to check up on your pictures

NEW DEADLINE: January 1st, 11:59 PM

merry christmas and a happy new year! (get those pictures in! )
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-12-26, 10:08

I will have an entry, I hope.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-12-26, 23:23

Here's what I have for now though I might change it up. It's the most exciting motion to me (aside from with my wife ) this month!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2010-12-29, 04:36

My entry (at least as placeholder - maybe I'll get a chance for another shot later...)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-12-29, 04:56

Nice one, I took a similar shot a few weeks ago, but it was too dark and was a little blurry. (Not for entry)

Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-12-30, 21:01

A bit of an experimental shot... Blowing snow at my in-laws farm in Quebec, where we were visiting just after Christmas. I put the camera down on the snow and tried a few shots to try to capture the effect of the new snow being blown by a heavy wind. I did not quite get it quite right, but the feeling of the motion of the snow is there.

Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-01-01, 18:13

Just a reminder to submit them if you have them. If you do have one...or will have one...but you need just a bit more time, maybe Evan could give another very short extension.

evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2011-01-02, 10:53

checking in from Tucson... get em in tonight / tomorrow morning!

I'll push it back to Noon, Jan 3rd.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-01-02, 17:47

Personally I love GSpotter's! My photo has meaning since we never get that kinds of snow here but it looks like a snapshot rather than a challenge photo.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2011-01-04, 00:19

Alright, sorry to keep you guys waiting.

This one's a tough one to judge, I think PB PM, GSpotter, and Chinney all have some great entries that not only evoke a strong sense of motion but also bring up other immediate emotional responses.

GSpotter's shot reminds me of winter vacations past when my family would drive to relatives' houses out in the country (usually at night), barreling through the snowy woods not really sure where we're going - which was simultaneously exciting and a little bit terrifying. As in the picture, you have no idea what kind of problems might lie just around the bend.

Chinney's picture immediately makes me think of getting hit in the face with a cold burst of wind accompanied by stinging snow. That poor plant... In my opinion that feeling of bitter cold wind is the strongest feeling I got from any of these pictures, but despite that I think the composition ultimately holds it back from the winning spot, which goes to...

PB PM! Absolutely awesome composition, and at first I thought it was a painting. I'm not entirely sure what those birds are or where they're going, but after all the other pictures I'm led to believe that they're moving away from all that snow and cold, and good for them. Awesome picture!

Winner: PB PM

Runner Up: Chinney
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2011-01-04, 00:26

Congrats, Rob, well deserved!
The tones of this shot are really awesome!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2011-01-04, 04:06

Thanks, I think everyone had some good ideas this time around. Those little sandpipers are tough to capture, thankfully there were lots of them flying up and down the beach!

I'll have to do some brain storming and come up with a new topic within the next day or so.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-01-06, 22:31

Congrats PB. Well taken.