Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Sync iCal and send files to a Razr V3m

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Sync iCal and send files to a Razr V3m
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-06-15, 22:32

I just got a Razr V3m through verizon and I was able to connect easily with bluetooth to sync my contacts but I can't get it to sync my iCal events. What do I need to do to have my calendar work and be able to send other files to the phone like music and pictures? Thanks in advance!
BenP

2006-06-15, 23:00

Hey dude, I use BitPim to sync my calendar events and ringtones. It works, but it's not pretty. OTOH, it's free. That's the only solution I've found.

Edit: On my LGwhatever it works for pictures as well, but without a memory card I can't sync music per se - it has to be saved as a ringtone, which is kind of annoying.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2006-06-15, 23:28

The Razr's seem to only be able to sync through USB and send files through bluetooth. I just picked up a Razr and am waiting on a bluetooth adapter for my iBook G4.

Address Book and iCal synced seamlessly through USB though.I just used the mini-USB that came with my digital camera and it worked easily.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-06-16, 02:14

My Razr syncs contacts fine over Bluetooth, although I haven't tried doing iCal stuff before. To send files, all you should have to do is connect to your Razr via Bluetooth, then use Bluetooth File Exchange (in /Applications/Utilities) to move your stuff around.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-06-16, 07:39

When I try to use bluetooth file exchange it tells me it can't work. This is the error I get is that the "Device does not have the necessary services." It sync contacts very well with bluetooth it is just iCal and files I can't get to work over bluetooth. I haven't tried usb yet because I really want to use bluetooth to do it. Any advice on how to get it to work? It is the new razr v3m!
It also won't let me browse the device with bluetooth.
BenP

2006-06-16, 09:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACleod
When I try to use bluetooth file exchange it tells me it can't work. This is the error I get is that the "Device does not have the necessary services." It sync contacts very well with bluetooth it is just iCal and files I can't get to work over bluetooth. I haven't tried usb yet because I really want to use bluetooth to do it. Any advice on how to get it to work? It is the new razr v3m!
It also won't let me browse the device with bluetooth.
That's the same error message I get. I assumed Verizon disabled Bluetooth file transfer.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-06-16, 09:53

Verizon is known for crippling BT on their phones so you have to use their OTA services to do a bunch of stuff. There are probably ways around it if you know where to look.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-06-16, 12:28

Thanks I will browse around that location a little bit and see what I find. Anybody know if iSync and/or the BitPim will update soon to support new phones like the V3m?
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-06-18, 21:02

How often does iSync update to support newer phones? Is it likely to occur soon or is there a work around to make it sync with my phone because now it won't sync anymore (had to swap out my macbook for a new one because of a logic board failure)?
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-06-18, 21:34

Also, I can connect with USB so that iSync sees it now but I can't use bluetooth anymore. Anyway to reinstall just iSync from my disks or someplace online? Also how do I move ring tones and wallpapers if iSync sees it but it doesn't show up on my screen as a device or anything except in iSync?
BenP

2006-06-18, 22:52

Are you sure Bluetooth is on in the MacBook and the phone? I think BT is usually off by default. Also, you may have to add the phone as a recognized device under your BT settings in System Prefs ("pair" it). Check this page for iSync stuff and this one for pairing devices.
musicarr

2006-06-27, 09:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenP
Hey dude, I use BitPim to sync my calendar events and ringtones. It works, but it's not pretty. OTOH, it's free. That's the only solution I've found.

Edit: On my LGwhatever it works for pictures as well, but without a memory card I can't sync music per se - it has to be saved as a ringtone, which is kind of annoying.
Hi all,

I checked out BitPim. I looks like it could be exactly what I am looking for, but it doesn't seem to work. I, too, have the RAZR 3Vm, and there is no "profile" for it. BenP (or anyone else), how did you get it to work for you with your 3Vm, or did I misunderstand?

Thanks,

Mark
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-06-27, 10:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenP
Are you sure Bluetooth is on in the MacBook and the phone? I think BT is usually off by default. Also, you may have to add the phone as a recognized device under your BT settings in System Prefs ("pair" it). Check this page for iSync stuff and this one for pairing devices.
I have tried pairing it multiple times and it works. But it won't iSync because it isn't a recognized device. Also to the above post, BenP has a different phone but uses BitPim. He was just suggesting it as a good app for what I am looking to do. It would be great they just don't have it working for the razr v3m yet.
BenP

2006-06-27, 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACleod
I have tried pairing it multiple times and it works. But it won't iSync because it isn't a recognized device. Also to the above post, BenP has a different phone but uses BitPim. He was just suggesting it as a good app for what I am looking to do. It would be great they just don't have it working for the razr v3m yet.
Yeah, if it's paired and still doesn't work then I don't know what to tell you. Sorry. The BitPim documentation kinda sucks, too, so you probably won't find much there.
musicarr

2006-06-27, 13:30

Thanks very much for the clarification. I'll just keep my eyes open for something that will talk to it.

Thanks,

Mark
montyfrost

2006-11-04, 17:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk View Post
The Razr's seem to only be able to sync through USB and send files through bluetooth. I just picked up a Razr and am waiting on a bluetooth adapter for my iBook G4.

Address Book and iCal synced seamlessly through USB though.I just used the mini-USB that came with my digital camera and it worked easily.
I took my iBook laptop to the Verizon store and tried to iSync Address Book to an off-the shelf Motorola V3m using my camera's mini-USB cable. iSync recognized a Motorola V3 (note: no "m") but it could not sucessfully iSync. I could not try Bluetooth as my iBook doesn't have it. Any ideas?
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-11-04, 18:43

Don't buy a verizon phone. I am switching to cingular as soon as the iPhone is released (please let it be released) or MacWorld ends. Verizon cripples the features of their phones so that you ahve to pay them more and have a PC to do anything with it. I hate my RAZR V3m. It sucks. It would be marginally better if it was from another service like cingular where they don't cripple them, but even then I think the RAZR sucks. As to what you can do....you basically just have to wait for bitpim to find a way to work with the RAZR V3m. Sorry there is really nothing you can do until then that I know of.
clockskew

2006-11-08, 15:06

I created an iSync plugin for the Sprint Razr V3m to sync contacts and calendar. I don't know if it will work with the verizon version, but it can't hurt to try. Grab it here:

http://www.clockskew.com/blog/2006/1...rola-razr-v3m/

Just place the "phoneplugins" folder in ~/Library or /Library.

Sending files to and receiving from works fine for me via bluetooth.

Best of luck.