Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Links defaulting to Explorer...help?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Links defaulting to Explorer...help?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-05-17, 08:46

Lately - within the past week or two, it seems - when I click on a link in an e-mail or anywhere outside Safari (in a PDF, for instance), Internet Explorer will launch.

I don't use IE (but have it installed, just in case Safari has trouble with a site). Thing is, seems that before when I'd click a link in an e-mail message, that page/site would just open up in Safari. Now it doesn't.

Where do I go/what do I do to make Safari the end-all/be-all browser of choice to open any links I may click on in an e-mail, PDF, etc.?

I'm running Panther with the very latest updates. Use Safari and Mail for browsing and e-mail. Am I just dense and looking right past the answer somewhere? I just want Explorer to quit launching any time I click a link in Mail. I'm trying to think back to when this first started and if it coincided with any sort of Apple update.

Go easy...it's been a long weekend. I realize the answer it going to be painfully obvious and I'm going to feel like a real bonehead...

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-05-17, 08:52

no, you're not dense.

this is something Apple did that was very MS like, which i wasn't very impressed about.

you have to use Safari to set your default browser.

Go Preferences, then General. you should be able to set your default browser there.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-05-17, 09:12

Thank you. I'll do it when I get home. I knew it had to be something "right there", and wouldn't you know it...I probably skipped right over that, just not thinking.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-05-17, 09:30

well, it really shouldn't even be in Safari. what do i do if i chuck Safari? how do i set my default web browser now? but oh well, that'll be in Tiger i'm sure.
Defiant

Send a message via ICQ to Defiant Send a message via AIM to Defiant  
2004-05-17, 09:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
well, it really shouldn't even be in Safari. what do i do if i chuck Safari? how do i set my default web browser now? but oh well, that'll be in Tiger i'm sure.
Interestingly enough, OmniWeb has the feature to set the default browser too. Hehe.
But you're right, it's not the best move from Apple regarding Safari.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-05-17, 10:49

i think theres a way to do it from sysprefs. internet settings or something. i'm not in front of a mac, so i'm hazy on details. i think it was under an internet section, and possibly involved a drop down with 'Web' as the proper item to select.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2004-05-17, 10:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuh Freak
i think theres a way to do it from sysprefs. internet settings or something. i'm not in front of a mac, so i'm hazy on details. i think it was under an internet section, and possibly involved a drop down with 'Web' as the proper item to select.
Ahh, you silly Freak...
That was exactly how it worked in Jaguar, but Internet disappeared from System Prefs in Panther.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-05-17, 12:56

Yeah, that's where my problem stemmed from...I kept approaching it from a system-level standpoint, instead of looking in Safari. Duh.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-05-17, 14:38

whoa. theres a new version of macosx? i better crawl back under my rock.
Defiant

Send a message via ICQ to Defiant Send a message via AIM to Defiant  
2004-05-17, 15:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Yeah, that's where my problem stemmed from...I kept approaching it from a system-level standpoint, instead of looking in Safari. Duh.
But, as alcimedes pointed out, this was also totally right for you to look there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thuh Freak
whoa. theres a new version of macosx? i better crawl back under my rock.
Hush hush!