User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple will likely challenge the Tablet PC...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple will likely challenge the Tablet PC...
psgamer0921

2004-08-13, 15:57

...with their own model!
Quote:
Could Apple really be releasing a tablet like computer? The Register is reporting that Apple has filed for an European design trademark. This filing covers a "handheld computer" along with sketches of Apple's design. The images themselves look like a small iBook screen, but minus the body (according to The Register). This indicates that it might in fact be a similar design to Microsoft's Tablet PC (no keyboard or mouse).

If in fact Apple is developing a tablet like PC, Microsoft could have some serious competition. So far Microsoft has yet to win the hearts of users with its Tablet PC design. As the Tablet PC is now it doesn't offering anything overly impressive, and still lacks the application/support needed from other companies. Back in 2003 Quanta a Taiwanese contract manufacturer claimed that it has been hired by Apple to build a "wireless display". At the time Apple denied making such a deal, but it now it looks like Quanta was telling the truth.

I personally hope Apple is making a PDA/Tablet. I think Apple sees the PDA market as a good place to launch a new product line. Right now their isn't a real dominating force in the PDA market, so it would make sense for Apple to target it. After all look what happened when Apple introduced its portable music player the iPod. It's really anyone’s guess what this device is, but then again that's half the fun.
Picture
More Info

Last edited by psgamer0921 : 2004-08-13 at 15:58. Reason: Added a more info link
SilentEchoes
Unique Like Everyone Else

Send a message via AIM to SilentEchoes  
2004-08-13, 16:13

Yeah I just saw this a little while ago, I was thinking they could do something like this:

Have an iMac with a gateway style design to it, with a couple of ports on the monitor, Like USB and Firewire. But also make it so the display pops off, if the optical drive is on the base, they you would have a tablet with no optical drive in it.. You could make it pretty thin..

WARNING: Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor.
rogerborn

2004-08-13, 16:13

Tablets are dead.

Even Micro$oft may be getting out of the tablet business.
Laptops outsell tablets a hundred to one. See for yourself:

http://engadget.com/entry/8312965763231519/

I think this new screen is for the new iMac.

We know the new Quanta small screen is wireless.

We do not know if it has touch screen capabilities or not.

This small screen may detach from the iMac CPU/hard drive case.

Apple has been buying up all Toshiba 60MB drives. Are they for the new iMac, or a future iPod?

We know the new iMac has an aluminum case (will it be in colors?).

We know the new iMac has the full OS X. It is not a lite version.

This means the new iMac may be SMALL like the old Macinosh Classics.

The arger 17" and 20" monitors could easily be connected to the new G5 iMac, with its little wireless, and detachable screen.

Here are links about this:

http://www.mymac.com/showarticle.php?id=-750
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08...le_tablet_mac/
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/imacg5specs.html

It makes much more sense that this new small screen is not for a tablet, but an integral part of the new iMac, which will be announced in 19 days.

A smaller wireless iMac would re-engerize the whole iMac line up!
Such a device would be uber-cool and as sought after as the iPod, IMO.

Roger Born
writing.borngraphics.com
Sorry, no refunds.
psgamer0921

2004-08-13, 16:16

Well, thinksecret has commented that they have seen the new iMac, and that it is an all-in-one design. The monitor cannot be disconnected, so i think this might very well be a tablet.

(Also, when laptops were first introduced, they were only bought by big business people, but a few years later, other people started to buy them more and more. Tablets may be the same way)
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2004-08-13, 19:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgamer0921
Well, thinksecret has commented that they have seen the new iMac, and that it is an all-in-one design.
From the ThinkSecret article: "Sources told Think Secret that the new iMac design is 'impressive' and 'an eye catcher.'" In other words, ThinkSecret has not seen it, only their sources.
colonelforbin

2004-08-13, 19:54

if we're indulging in wild speculation as to the wireless displays, what i want is:

a g5 powerbook with a 15.2" wireless touch sensitive screen with stylus that could be flipped around like on a tablet pc, or removed entirely so you could put it flat on a desk for drawing, or wall mount it as a monitor, etc.

power would be a huge issue though, so i really doubt we'd be seeing anything like this; there's no way it could run on batteries.
futuretheory

2004-08-13, 23:37

Apps like this being released tends to give evidence for a tablet device...though it could just as easily be used on a wireless monitor too. www.alias.com

I don't think the price point of an iMac would support all models offering a wireless monitor either. The reason the Tablet PC hasn't done well is because they have a crippled OS, low power, and few apps that justify it. Apple might do quite well with one that had a full OS and it's positioning in Apple's wireless entertainment initiative makes it worth a look.

My money is on a tablet.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2004-08-14, 01:29

I would love to see an Apple tablet. I think there's a market for it, too - lots of Mac users are "creative professionals" using apps like the Adobe CS software. And yes, these people usually use pen tablets - however, they draw on one surface, and the line appears on the screen. That can be hard, not to mention disorienting. You can buy a screen with a pen tablet from Wacom, the Cintiq, but do you know how expensive that is? Hell, if Apple made a PowerPad it'd be like buying a Cintiq and getting a computer free - and it'd be portable, to boot. The aforementioned creative proffesionals would love it. I think that just because Microsoft can't do it, that doesn't make it out of the question for Apple. Yes, Windows has more users, but OS X users are different from XP users.

I do hope, though, that if a "PowerPad" does see the light of day, it is a convertable design, with a keyboard. The "slate" Tablet-only ones aren't as livable.
macdc

2004-08-16, 14:48

Purely speculation on my part, but could this simply refer to a wireless photo display, similar to Ceiva (which is wired). iTunes begot iPod, maybe iPhoto sires iFrame. With the introduction of Airport Express it may be possible to wirelessly stream slideshows or photos to the frame, in say, a family room, kitchen, etc. Even give to a relative and have an upload folder in iPhoto to transmit photos of the kids to Grandma and Grandpa.

Anyways, for what it's worth.
psgamer0921

2004-08-16, 16:01

I really think it'd be awesome if they made an imac with the display was wireless, but they're not
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-08-17, 01:37

The tablet PC is already challenged enough on its own. Apple doesn't need to compete here.
aswitcher

2004-08-17, 03:13

If Apple could bring out a relatively cheap wireless mac as a small (12"???) screen that has wifi and BT and enough ram and HDD to run internet, itunes access (on another machine) and do MS word and excel, then I for one would be very interested.

128 meg ram, 20 gig HDD, 800 MHz G4, wifi (AE), BT, 12" (maybe 10") screen with a wireless pen/pointer, ect