AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

IP prioritizing with a linksys wireless router

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
IP prioritizing with a linksys wireless router
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2005-09-21, 11:27

That's basically the story, I want to prioritize who gets the most bandwith in my house but every article I've googled so far is a tad over my head so if anybody can help me out in semi plain english I'd appreciate it.

Also if the help could be a little more productive than the roompicker debacle I'd aprreciate it....brad.....

And All That Could Have Been
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-09-21, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argento
That's basically the story, I want to prioritize who gets the most bandwith in my house but every article I've googled so far is a tad over my head so if anybody can help me out in semi plain english I'd appreciate it.

Also if the help could be a little more productive than the roompicker debacle I'd aprreciate it....brad.....
Debacle?!? What are you talking about? I thought it was a wildly successful thread. I still have the app Brad wrote for it! And since you put this in GD instead of GB, it sounds like you want a discussion on the merits and drawbacks of doing this type of thing.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2005-09-21, 12:02

Luckily I still got the big room, and I have no idea why I forgot to put it in GB......must be those damned genes.....
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2005-09-22, 02:17

Some routers will have a feature called QoS (Quality of Service) built into their firmware - and if it does you access it through the web config page of your router. With my (wired) Linksys I can set higher priorities based upon the port of the service or the physical ethernet jack.

But most cheap routers won't do this.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-22, 02:28

If you'd like, I could write another app for you that'll run in the background of your machine that will.... uhh... make that machine use more bandwidth. Yeah.

Moving to the Genius Bar!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2005-09-23, 00:54

Really?! you are just too nice Brad remind me to call you any time I'm in dire need of help because i know you'll always be there to lend a helping hand......then pull it away at the last second and take a dump on my face...... Cheers!

And All That Could Have Been