Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: 1.14 - Village & Pillage Update!
Page 1 of 6 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2019-05-21, 12:20

Village(r)s!

All villages are revamped & rebuilt with new structures:

+ new Snowy Tundra villages:

The old villager trading system is thrown out, and so is the way a village is defined. No more door calculation! Villagers now have professions with specific 'job site blocks' they claim ownership to:

Armorer with Blast Furnace, Butcher with Smoker, Cartographer with Cartography Table, Cleric with Brewing Stand, Farmer with Composter, Fisherman with Barrel, Fletcher with Fletching Table,
Leatherworker with Cauldron, Librarian with Lectern, Mason with Stonecutter, Shepherd with Loom, Toolsmith with Smithing Table, Weaponsmith with Grindstone, Nitwit

Kind of like they 'level up' currently, trades depend on a villagers trading experience. It shows the level on their badge:

stone (novice), iron (apprentice), gold (journeyman), emerald (expert), and diamond (master).

These Wandering Trader wierdos show up out of nowhere with their fancy llamas and offer trades. They drink invisibility potion to hide at night and milk at sunrise to reverse the effects:

Also, villagers now have a biome-specific look:

plains, desert, savanna, snowy, taiga, jungle, swamp

Pillagers!

Crossbow-wielding baddies that show up unannounced in Illager Patrols with their Vindicator buddies, sometimes riding the dreaded Ravenger beast. Occasionally you will find them in a Pillager Outpost near a village, plotting a raid:

Kill the outpost captain and you'll carry a curse for days. Enter a village while carrying the curse and the village will be attacked by raiding parties. If raiding pillagers kill all the villagers in a village, the pillagers will celebrate their victory by jumping and laughing.‌

Other Stuff!

A few new mobs:
Cats now found in villages (Ocelots won't turn into cats anymore when tamed)
Foxes now spawn in taiga biomes
Pandas now spawn in the new 'bamboo jungle' biome

Speaking of, bamboo! Primarily used to create scaffolding – a quicker, easier way to climb upwards and over. Break the bottom block and it all comes down:

• 3 new flowers (1 deadly)
• Very nice lanterns and a village bell
• A tasty berry bush
• Slabs, stairs & walls in almost all of the stone and brick flavors
• Campfires for cooking and sending smoke signals
• Signs now come in all 6 wood colors, and you can change the text color with dye!
• Leather horse armor, dyeable of course
• Some other stuff, I'm sure

The new 'profession blocks' will take some getting used to, but I'm excited to have some more useful, specific tools. Current villagers will likely lose their trades (maybe?), so that'll take some starting over. Oh well. Time for a purge down there in the cells anyways.

Small note: Barrels hold the same amount as a chest, and apparently they cut down on lag significantly. I'll be switching over my main storage rooms for sure – and unlike chests they even stack to the ceiling!

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2019-05-21 at 16:45.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-05-21, 15:57

I have a small project waiting on new stairs.

So, update already!
¡Damned!

2019-05-21, 16:29

OptiFine for 1.14 is 90% finished, so 1.14.1 shouldn't be too far behind.

So we probably have a week-ish to go through our usual list of things:

• Trim? (Yes, please. New villages depend on it.)
• New seed? (I really like our current seed, but we haven't had a new one in a while...)
• Any new areas we have to save? (I don't think so, we haven't expanded much (at all?) since last trim.)
• Any texture pack voodoo? (Unfortunately, yes. We should use vanilla villager textures now that they're so varied – not sure how easy those are to strip away while keeping important stuff like smooth glowstone and clear glass)

Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. But yeah, let's get the ball rolling!

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2019-05-21, 17:06

Also, I've been looking at trying my hand at creating a data pack just for funzies. I think even with my limited code experience it looks like a neat thing I could pull off. There's all sorts of bullshit things that could be made somewhat less painful obtaining with a crafting recipe. Nautilus, Heart of the Sea, Coral Blocks... there's loads of things we could do.

The Market is dead, long live The Market. Maybe this could add a little of that spice it held back in the day.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2019-05-21, 22:18

WOW!!!!

That's a lot of new stuff!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-05-22, 13:48

Nice. I might just have to get my test MC server updated and see what the new stuff's all about. Should be fun. We can look at trimming and updating the main server too. Of course, I default to Brad for that.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
arteggio

2019-05-25, 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
• New seed? (I really like our current seed, but we haven't had a new one in a while...)
• Any new areas we have to save? (I don't think so, we haven't expanded much (at all?) since last
I began building a mountain house north of town, right to the east of what I believe is a chunk you’ve built on 709. Not sure if this region had been guarded previously.

I have no preference on the seed, as long as snow can be put back on my mountain region if a new seed would change it.

Bamboo, what a saving grace for scaffolding! No more dirt & stone contraptions.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-05-29, 21:37

I sensed a great disturbance in the force… as if several voices spoke up about Minecraft… and asked for… a trim and an upgrade.

Sorry, even at hyperspeed information takes a while to cross the galaxy.

Soooooo… did I miss anything yet? I'm afraid I haven't been on the server in ages, but I'd be happy to step in for a little while for some belated spring cleaning.

I remember trying out one of the weekly 1.14 builds in single-player many months ago, maybe over the Christmas-New Year's time frame. The new bits and bobs seemed pretty nifty, and not everything was quite there yet! I think I could pencil in some time over the upcoming week to sort through any world trimmings, server updates, seed changes, etc. if we wanted to jump in on things.

And, yes, I too played a bit with the new data pack format when I was trying out the 1.14 weeklies, and IIRC it's pretty straightforward to add some custom recipes to the server. Back when I was trying it out, I could only successfully define and load recipes for a certain subset of things (I don't recall which), but hopefully by now that's been expanded to most if not all items. Market replacement indeed! Finally maybe we could craft saddles, horse armors, and elytra, oh my!

As for biomes, arteggio, as long as a chunk doesn't get wiped, its biome data should be permanently baked into it. That means that wherever we defined the winter wonderland before should remain across any upgrades and seed changes. Of course, if it were to be trimmed away, all bets are off because it would get completely regenerated and replaced by whatever seed we would choose.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2019-05-29, 22:04

Note to self: Get caught up on updates 1 to Quadrillion.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-05-29, 23:39

Let's do this!
¡Damned!

2019-05-30, 08:12

Here's arteggio's 2 northern chunks added to the previous trim:

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-05-30, 09:33

Yeah, I'm pretty ready too! I might not play a whole lot, but now that I've stopped Pokemon Go I'll have more time here.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2019-05-31, 18:50

Quote:
Here's arteggio's 2 northern chunks added to the previous trim:

FYI the two chunks all the way to the west got trimmed and regenerated the last update. So maybe the block IDs are not in the script.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2019-05-31, 22:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
...but now that I've stopped Pokemon Go...
DUDE.

I hardly play at all.

I was totally relying on you to keep me stocked with balls.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-06-02, 14:02

Yep, no more gifts from me! . No you have to go spin your own stops.
¡Damned!

2019-06-10, 13:04

Quote:
. . . .
• Any texture pack voodoo? (Unfortunately, yes. We should use vanilla villager textures now that they're so varied – not sure how easy those are to strip away while keeping important stuff like smooth glowstone and clear glass)
I've been mucking around in 1.14.2 using our current texture pack (v1.13a) and the new biome-specific villager skins are overriding the pack skins, so that's a weight off. The only things I've found that are glitchy are the dye icons. The red, green and yellow have changed names in 1.14 so they're defaulting to the new, uglier icons. And lapis, bone meal, ink sacs and cocoa beans are their own things and don't act as dyes. There are separate blue, white, black & brown dyes now.

The leather horse armor icon feels a little out of place, but I think the actual leather armor skin is fine.

1.14.3 is in Pre-Release 2 now, and OptiFine is very close (96%) to releasing for 1.14.2 (with 1.14.3 not too far behind I'm sure), so we should probably hold off updating the server until those are sorted out.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-06-10, 17:12

sssshhhhhh

guys
guys

don't tell ken

that guy wants me work on things like keeping the forums running or something psht

slave-driver

but hey check this

i just cracked open my custom resource pack project
and well i thought
let me try something

it's a secret to everyone

don't tell ken

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2019-06-10, 18:26

Brad is going to make my 10 years of grinding all for naught and I fucking love it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-06-10, 19:21

just you wait until you see the "dirt + dirt => diamond block" recipe!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-06-10, 22:38

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-06-14, 12:24

FWIW, I have been fiddling with my aforementioned resource pack bit over the past couple evenings, and it's getting pretty darn close to ready to release for use with 1.14. Several things have moved around and changed, and of course there are new things as well. Some (but not all…) of the officially re-done 1.14 textures have gotten good enough IMHO that I've actually dropped some of their custom replacements from my pack, but there are still lots of opinionated tweaks I'm keeping.

In my local test world, I've had to figure out the various admin commands for spawning villagers of each biome and profession. All existing pre-1.14 villagers basically get reset to generic jobless villagers when the upgrade happens, as far as I can tell, and if we want to recreate some of them with variety in special places around our shared world, I'd be happy to assist with that.

I'm hoping this weekend to take a stab at updating my world-trimming script per the earlier comments here, testing a dry-run, and maaaayyybe booping Turtle's server up to 1.14.2.

Orrrrrrrrrrr we can wait longer for 1.14.3. Here's the official changelog for the 1.14.3 pre-release builds: https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/arti...-pre-release-1

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-06-14, 13:52

Just give us the usual headsup so I can empty my pockets.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-06-16, 21:16

I (obviously) wasn't able to make time to work on the server this weekend, but I don't want to leave you guys completely empty handed too. So, if any of you are playing around with 1.14 locally or elsewhere, would you mind taking my pack for a spin and giving me feedback especially on anything that might be broken or clearly missed?

https://applenova.com/etc/brad/minec...ures.1.14a.zip

It's still a work in progress, as usual, but I think I have most of the stray bits nailed down. Thanks in advance.

¡Damned!

2019-06-17, 11:16

I had a few minutes while waiting on a render this morning to load it up and I think it looks great. I see what you mean about some of the new textures being OK enough... the potatoes, apples, quartz, etc aren't as nice as our 1.13 icons, but they're fine, and I think it's good to have a few more of the 'stock' icons included. Though, your new lingering potion is very fancy and makes me want to use those more . I think the only thing I would change is the bone meal – maybe to the stock icon – because it looks a little too close to the new white dye icon.

Thanks for taking the time, Brad, and nice work, as always!

[edit]: Holy crap I just discovered the custom UIs for the job site blocks....

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2019-06-17 at 11:40.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-06-17, 16:01

Quote:
the potatoes
Take a closer look at those taters, precious. You'll find they are similar to the new 1.14 defaults but improved as I like to do.

Quote:
I think the only thing I would change is the bone meal – maybe to the stock icon – because it looks a little too close to the new white dye icon.
Good point. I was wondering what you might think about that. I'll see if I can whip up something better, or else I'll just revert to defaults.

Quote:
[edit]: Holy crap I just discovered the custom UIs for the job site blocks....
Every one of them, including the old inventory, horse, furnace, etc. UIs! I have a fat stack of layers in a Photoshop file now for cranking these out. It's still a fair bit of work, but it's much less time-consuming than the way I used to do it by modifying and tweaking copies of the original Painterly resources.

¡Damned!

2019-06-17, 16:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Take a closer look at those taters, precious. You'll find they are similar to the new 1.14 defaults but improved as I like to do.
Aha! So they are! Sometimes it's subtle, other times stark going back and forth between the default pack and your 1.1x packs. A little boost of contrast and vibrancy makes everything mo betta, imo, especially the edges and shadows. Everything just feels duller in comparison when I quick-switch to the default world textures.

[edit]: for comparison

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2019-06-17 at 16:51.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-06-17, 20:37

I pulled down a copy of the latest backup and generated the following map, and I added an overlay per 709's suggested trims above.

As Elysium said, you can see some black spots in the regions to the left because those region files were wiped last time and they haven't been explored enough to be filled back out.

What say we about this arrangement? Should I drop the two chunks with missing areas or keep them? How does the rest of the map look?

¡Damned!

2019-06-18, 08:23

I'd like to keep the mesa/bryce region (I'll go out and fill in the missing area this morning). No preference for the western-most chunk. Everything else looks peachy.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-06-18, 10:12

Trim looks fine to me.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-06-19, 12:22

This afternoon I’ll do a local dry-run test of the trim, and then I plan to run it to the server in preparation of the update (to update later, not today). We’re getting closer!

When it comes time to the actual 1.14 update itself, now that we’ve had some time to think about it, what are all your opinions on using a new seed? Have any of you started exploring any random seeds that you think might be a good fit around our expansive borders?