User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Streaming video from Mac to PC

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Streaming video from Mac to PC
Zeldaluvr2007

2012-02-05, 19:07

So, I am looking to stream movies from a Mac to a PC on different network. Now, I know VLC can do this, but the thing I want is to be able to play the videos on my PC without needing someone else to start the video on the Mac which is on an entirely different network. Stream to me can do this, but they don't have a streaming app for PC. Are there any applications out there for PC that will allow me to do that? Oh, and free is preferable. Thanks!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-02-05, 20:05

My first recommendation would be Plex. It's free and has Mac, Windows, and Linux servers and Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android clients.

You install Plex (Mac and Windows versions have a built-in server) on any computer on the network that you want to be either a server or a client. When you launch the Plex app itself from that computer (or another), it'll find any other Plex instances on the network, and all of the libraries will be available for viewing on-demand.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Zeldaluvr2007

2012-02-05, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
My first recommendation would be Plex. It's free and has Mac, Windows, and Linux servers and Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android clients.

You install Plex (Mac and Windows versions have a built-in server) on any computer on the network that you want to be either a server or a client. When you launch the Plex app itself from that computer (or another), it'll find any other Plex instances on the network, and all of the libraries will be available for viewing on-demand.
Will that program work if the computers are on separate networks? My boyfriend has lots of good movies on his Mac pro, but we live in different cities so this has been bugging me for a while. We've been using VLC for a while but I'm tired of relying on him to play the movies. Thanks for your fast reply
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-02-05, 22:51

Ah, crud. Sorry, I missed that bit from your original post. I'm not sure if Plex works across wider networks…
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2012-02-06, 04:38

Setup a VPN
Zeldaluvr2007

2012-02-06, 05:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Ah, crud. Sorry, I missed that bit from your original post. I'm not sure if Plex works across wider networks…
It looks like Plex has a thing where "myPlex" members can share stuff with other members remotely. I'll see if that works. This is one of those times I wished I could afford a MacBook Pro or iMac. Oh well.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2012-02-06, 11:02

I'm interested in a solution too. I can do it with sageTV but it somehow doesn't seems to use all core/thread available. So it's struggling with my tv 720p/h264 files (2gb+ per hour)...

"Regular" movies works fine though. You can access it with a browser but it rely on HTTPLIVE or whatever it's called so it only works on Mac/iOS. You need the software on PC...

Anyway Google bought them, business's closed so... What's the solution ?
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2012-02-06, 13:14

AirVideo is an iOS app that does this, even re-encoding on the fly to fit available bandwidth.

It has an "Air Video Server" app for both Macs and PCs, but not an official client for any non-iOS devices. However, someone created an unofficial, barebones Mac client... A little Googling around and you can probably find it. It may work for you, at least until the company releases an official client on the MAS.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2012-02-06, 21:40

I tested the AirVideo Mac client a while ago and it worked pretty well. Still, the question is about a PC receiving the video feed.
Zeldaluvr2007

2012-02-09, 03:23

I found one app that could work, but seeing as how my boyfriend has some web stuff running on port 8080, we haven't tried using it on another port. Still at a loss, here. I really want something that is as user-friendly as Stream to Me is. That program is awesome, but, unfortunately, they don't have a client for PC, only a server. I have it on my iPod Touch, but connectivity on it isn't as good back in my room as it is on my laptop. There is only one spot in my room it is willing to work on, but even that isn't very good. Plus, watching movies on a small screen like that isn't as good as my 15in laptop screen, haha. Does anyone have advice? I tried that myPlex program, but I didn't see a way to share servers etc, also it seemed kinda laggy. Thanks for everyone's input; I really appreciate it. I'm good with computers, but not so good as to compile my own code, etc.