Intel iBook in Jan...?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Intel iBook in Jan...?
Page 3 of 14 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
iDaver

2005-11-25, 23:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia
16:10 gives me no benefit unless I plan on having two websites open on half of the screen each and reading at the same time, which I have no intention of doing. Photoshop is easier in 16:10 because the palettes aren't in the way. 16:10 versus 4:3 really just says personal preference to me.
I liked my old 5:4 1280x1024 desktop display for viewing websites because of its tall aspect ratio. Taller is better for websites since they're designed vertically. For everything else, I prefer a wide screen. I'm looking forward to replacing my old G3 iBook with a new wide screen version. If they're not redesigned that way, I'll probably end up with a PowerBook, but not as soon.
italian soda

Send a message via AIM to italian soda  
2005-11-26, 19:14

I actually believe the possibility. The iBook happens to be one of the items on sale during yesterday's sale event. I just can't wait until the arrival of the new ibook.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2005-11-26, 19:51

Depending on the look, and power of the new ibook, (should there be no major Rev A issues) I might trade in my current machine, but then it might hold some value later as being the last PPC ibook.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-11-26, 22:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hagan
I am wondering if we will see less of the spinning beachball with Intel processors.
Why?
halo1982

2005-11-26, 23:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
Why?
Because they'll be faster? (at least faster than the G4s)
Soooo faster computer = less spinning beach ball.
scratt
Veteran Member

2005-11-27, 00:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo1982
Because they'll be faster? (at least faster than the G4s)
Soooo faster computer = less spinning beach ball.
Not really.. If there are still networking glitches, threading problems, or any number of other issues then any app can hang briefly or for more time..

Heck, I still get spinning beach balls on my Dual G5!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Dave Hagan

2005-11-27, 08:27

There are times when I wonder if Tiger was ported for the PowerPC. I can't wait to see how optimized Tiger is for the Intel architecture.
Roland

2005-11-27, 12:03

iBook in January seem almost certain by now and while we've all talked
alot about what processer they will pack in there I am more curious if they
will keep the current design or if we we'll see a complete revision of the iBook in every aspect.

No doubt that the iBooks look nice, but they have been around for a long time now. I really would like to see a model that not just has an intel chip in it, but also is more streamlined and got more features (iMac).
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2005-11-27, 12:11

I don't see what features the ibook could get that would keep it from stepping on the toes of the Powerbook. Even if Apple updated the Powerbook at the same time, which would be likely?, then the only thing they could add would be a isight built in and a 64MB graphics chip.
at061002

2005-12-01, 11:16

I'm new to mac's and don't really know much about them...what i do know is that they don't get viruses and that's something I really want in a computer. I was told by my boss to wait until these new intel based powerbooks come out but how long will that take. I'm in need of a new laptop and I just want to know how much better will the intel based powerbook be over a G4 powerbook? Is it really worth the wait? I was going to use this computer for basic email, music, dvd, IM and photos...for someone like me, is it worth waiting for the new ones coming out? Anything is faster than what I have right now. We don't even know how true it is though...they might just releave an intel based iBook first and wait on the powerbooks, right? So we could be waiting months? I would really appreciate some feedback especially about whether or not I should wait. Thanks everyone.

Adam
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2005-12-01, 11:23

Based upon what you are going to use it for, the basic PowerBook would suit your needs and then some. The only issue I can see is if you are willing to pay that much for a computer (that dated) to only do so much. If you don't mind paying the price, go ahead and buy it, it'll serve you well for a long time (I strongly recommend Applecare). But, if you don't mind waiting for another month, wait til MWSF and see if the new iBook does come out. It'll probably be a better configuration than the current iBook line-up and would be a better price point for your needs.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-01, 11:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by at061002
I'm new to mac's and don't really know much about them...
Welcome to AppleNova! I hope you enjoy your stay. Please note that if you're looking for purchasing advice, that kind of discussion belongs not here but in the Purchasing Advice forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by at061002
I was going to use this computer for basic email, music, dvd, IM and photos...for someone like me, is it worth waiting for the new ones coming out?
No, the current and even old PowerBooks and iBooks are more than capable of all those things.

That's something a lot of "switchers" don't understand; Apple's portable computers aren't full of sawdust or paste or something equally ridiculous. They all have had fast processors that can do the mundane (email, IM, etc) as well as lots of multimedia work. The original 500 MHz PowerBook G4 introduced five years ago was heralded as an amazing technical achievement and, with Final Cut Pro, was used by many as a portable movie studio. Consider now that the current PowerBooks have a processor clocked more than three times that speed and better graphics and RAM.

Apple's portable line may be waning in relative terms because it hasn't seen repeated major speed upgrades, but that doesn't make them bad.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
bytefoo

2005-12-04, 16:48

As long as they come with nVidia chipsets I'll be happy. Linux support for ATI is weak when dealing with fancy eyecandy like xcompmgr and xegl. And it would be great to run both OS X and Linux natively, instead of always having to convert packages.
Anthem

2005-12-04, 17:16

Actually, the old ATI stuff is the best-supported of all... ATI has now fully documented their cards prior to 9200, so anything less than that will have a full open-source implementation. For newer stuff, though, you definitely have to go with nVidia. Their drivers are a ton better, plus they make good chipsets (not like that matters so much in a Mac).

The new modular Xorg (7.0) should really help a lot... it will make it much easier for vendors to supply a binary driver.
P0W3RMAC

2005-12-05, 00:34

The only reason why I don't see x86 iBooks in January is because of their Office:mac offer.

It extends all the way to January 31, 2006!!

Why would Apple run a promo that would only cover the PPC versions of Office when the iBook would go to x86 (a whole month)?

Sure, not every single Mac will be transitioning at MWSF yet I think everyone is jumping the gun here with the transition.

[PM]

EDIT: This is my first post here. Hi everyone!
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-12-05, 00:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by P0W3RMAC
The only reason why I don't see x86 iBooks in January is because of their Office:mac offer.

It extends all the way to January 31, 2006!!

Why would Apple run a promo that would only cover the PPC versions of Office when the iBook would go to x86 (a whole month)?

Sure, not every single Mac will be transitioning at MWSF yet I think everyone is jumping the gun here with the transition.

[PM]

EDIT: This is my first post here. Hi everyone!
Welcome to Applenova!

Provided that MS has a universal binary of Office ready on launch day for whatever the first Intel Mac is, it wouldn't be that difficult for Apple to release an updated rebate form to cover that version of Office.
runner91786

2005-12-05, 02:19

Either an updated rebate form OR, hey did we all forget about rosetta??? You wont ditch ANY PPC apps as they run under an emulation in Rosetta. And considering MS Office isnt real intensive and Jobs ran photoshop under Rosetta fine? I think things will be ok, thanks.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2005-12-05, 02:26

Well if Rosetta is anything like Classic emulation, it will suck.
SpecMode
Wait what

2005-12-05, 02:30

Well, at least it supports Altivec emulation now (as of the latest build, according to news sites). I figure that should help out immensely; at the very least, apps that were built to require Altivec support should at least run, if not particularly briskly.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-05, 02:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM
Well if Rosetta is anything like Classic emulation, it will suck.
Well, Classic isn't emulation. So, your analogy is flawed from the start.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-12-05, 03:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
On the technical side, yes. On the interface side, no, the two are quite similar.
scratt
Veteran Member

2005-12-05, 04:19

What was wrong with Classic ?

I have used it on everything from 300Mhx iBooks up to G5s.
Never had a problem. People should try VPC and compare the two!
Moonmonkey

2005-12-05, 06:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
What was wrong with Classic ?

I have used it on everything from 300Mhx iBooks up to G5s.
Never had a problem. People should try VPC and compare the two!
Classic was great for speed, but the interface drawbacks sucked.
Rosetta is the other-way round, perfect interface, but speed could be a problem.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-12-05, 09:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmonkey
Classic was great for speed, but the interface drawbacks sucked.
Rosetta is the other-way round, perfect interface, but speed could be a problem.
Rosetta is pretty darned Snappy, in my experience. I'll leave it at that. :smokey:
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-12-05, 10:23

I really don't see how the iBooks could go to Intel, but not the PowerBooks.

Unless, of course, they crippled (and hey, it's Apple, so it's a possibility) the new Intel iBook to such a degree that it's barely a step up from today's G4 iBook (which is ALREADY nipping at the heels of the ceiling-hitting PowerBook).

I just couldn't imagine $999-1299 1.8GHz iBooks (not to mention dual-core or other snazzy features) without the PowerBooks getting simultaneous attention, to knock them a bit further up the ladder too.

Such an unpredictable, tough thing to figure out. And the PowerBook being updated so recently only makes it more so (because it's tough to imagine Apple revving them again after only 2-3 months).

But it's not impossible, I guess.

I just don't see how they can have their cheaper, consumer stuff outperforming their expensive, pro-focused laptops.

Maybe MWSF is more about this Mac mini and that rumored Front Row/media center stuff, new iTMS video content and new iLife and iWork packages.

And the new laptops appear - simultaneously, so there's no "leapfrogging" issues - at a special event in March-May?

That's what I'm leaning toward, at this point. Otherwise you're gonna pretty much have to have a three-prong hardware show at MWSF...and that's just never done (PowerBook, iBook AND Mac mini). All that, talking up Intel, plus all the software, iPod status/marketshare gloating, reps from Sony, Microsoft coming on stage, etc., it would be a 3-4 hour keynote!

intlplby
Veteran Member

2005-12-05, 11:02

i read somewhere that if they do update the pbooks that supposedly the 17in isnt supposed to get updated for a little while after MCSF... i don't remember where i read that.....

i really hope not because i plan on picking up a 17 in pbook when i am in the US in february.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-12-05, 11:27

That was either AppleInsider or Thinksecret, a month or so ago.

But I can't see that either, a staggered PowerBook migration.

I can totally see dropping the 12" PowerBook (since it falls behind the 15" and 17" in so many ways, and was really more like an iBook all along...this new Intel iBook will probably run rings around the 12" PowerBook anyway, AND be thinner, sleeker, etc.). Six months from now, I doubt anyone is truly going to miss the 12" PowerBook, especially since it seems obvious it was never destined for PC slot, FireWire 800, illuminated keyboard, higher graphics, etc. About the only thing it had going for it - over the iBook - was DVI/spanning.

And who knows...the new Intel iBooks may have that.

But if the PowerBook pares down to a 15" and 17" model only, why stagger their releases?

Just gonna make folks antsy and pissed.

And if they DO stagger them, shouldn't they go with the 17" first...the "Cadillac" of the line, and give it the new whammer-jammer treatment?

I truly imagine this:

- a new widescreen iBook (13-14" or so), roughly the same depth as the 12" iBook and PowerBook...only slightly wider. But quite a step up in performance, of course. And MAYBE (since its the only "small" laptop offering, and will probably have 768 vertical resolution) Apple will see fit to "un-cripple" the spanning feature, now that the 12" PowerBook is gone.

If this new iBook is slimmer, lighter and only an inch or so WIDER than the 12" PowerBook (but kicks the 12" PowerBook's butt, performance-wise) AND had spanning capability, why does there need to be a 12" PowerBook, costing $1599 or so?

Exactly...there doesn't. At that point, people are only whining about appearances: silver vs. white plastic. And they can get over it, just the way we've always done everytime Apple has discontinued a popular, beloved product (jellybean iMac, iPod mini, Wall Street PowerBook, G4 Cube, TiBook, etc.). It sucks for about a day-and-a-half, then you snap to your senses and realize that life moves on, and some changes make sense and are for the better (especially if they're replaced with something even cooler).

- A 15" and 17" PowerBook, as currently shipping. Just better, faster, more, etc.

Two laptop lines.

Three models total.

All widescreen: 13", 15", 17"

All with DVI and spanning, even the iBook!

The new iBook would be better than any 12" PowerBook has ever been...and $200-400 cheaper. AND, with DVI/spanning enabled, Apple might sell a few more of their own displays...to iBook buyers, for the first time! Do I understand correctly that this feature is available, but Apple chooses to disable it? So they stop disabling that, for their sole small laptop offering...doesn't cost a dime to do this, AND with no 12" PowerBook to "step on", it no longer makes sense to intentionally cripple the iBook in that way.

The new iBook is still targeted to students and the like, BUT its power, widescreen and smallness also make it appeal to all those who always lusted after the 12" PowerBook (business travelers, those wanting a small and mobile second Mac, etc.).

Apple could reflect that in their marketing materials...showing what a great laptop it is for students AND business types, because it's no longer crippled as before, and packs plenty of power for school AND work needs. They could work to market the iBook as something not so "consumer-ish" and "low-end" (the way the iMac G5 is now seen as a proper, capable mid-range computer...and not just a "cute toy"). Basically, the iBook would be geared toward everyone who ever bought - or THOUGHT about buying - an iBook, a 12" PowerBook or who only works in graphics, music or video on a casual, or hobby, basis). That's probably a good 75% of the people out there...maybe more?

The two PowerBooks, on the other hand, are more powerful than any previous PowerBook ever dreamed of being...true desktop replacements, with no compromises, aimed squarely at demanding professional users (that remaining 25% or so of the pie): everything the current models have, plus STOCK 7200rpm hard drives, best graphics available for a portable, etc. Video/music production on the go, for real.

In the above scenario, I'd be one of those happily buying a $1299 or so iBook (knowing what overkill that type of PowerBook would be for me). But I'd also get a 20" Cinema Display to hook it up to at home...Apple STILL gets an extra chunk of money from me now that they've stopped crippling the iBook's display options.

Everyone's happy. Everyone shuts up.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-12-05 at 11:48.
iDaver

2005-12-05, 11:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Everyone's happy. Everyone shuts up.

Not bloody likely.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2005-12-05, 16:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Umm I don't know what else you would call it. Its not running OS9 natively, it turns OS9 into an app, kind of like Virtual PC, just with way better preformance, in other words, no CPU, RAM and VRAM limits. Aside from that its not much different from what I can see. There are many diver issues, such as those for RAVE support under classic among other things that limit it much like VPC.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-12-05, 16:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM
Umm I don't know what else you would call it.
Virtualization.

Quote:
Its not running OS9 natively, it turns OS9 into an app, kind of like Virtual PC, just with way better preformance, in other words, no CPU, RAM and VRAM limits.
Emulation means that an entire computer, usually of a different CPU architecture, is being simulated. That isn't the case here.