User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple Flagship Store and First Boston Store to open

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Flagship Store and First Boston Store to open
bostongeek

2006-02-10, 14:53

As reported on Boston.com, there are rumors abound that Apple will be opening its first retail location in Boston. There are several in the greater Boston area, including Chestnut Hill, Braintree, Cambridge, Peabody, and Burlington, but one has yet to open in Boston proper. The rumors talk of a yet-to-be -made public deal in which Apple has bought some property on Boylston Street across from the Prudential building. They will dismantle the current structure and replace it with a glass-fronted flagship store, 4-stories tall, among the historic buildings of Boston's Back Bay.

Quote:
''It will literally glisten in the Back Bay," the official said.
If you know Boston, you know that this is considered a prime location, and an Apple store would seem to do quite well there.

Boston.com article

BostonGeek

Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things. - Jack Burton
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-02-10, 15:00

Still waiting for the downtown Philly Apple Store
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2006-02-10, 15:09

Yea, King of Prussia and Delaware are definately too far to drive to go to the store. There needs to be one right in Center City.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-02-10, 15:25

Send Steve Jobs a real, honest to goodness Philly sub. He'll want an Apple store there then.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-02-10, 15:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
Send Steve Jobs a real, honest to goodness Philly sub. He'll want an Apple store there then.

Considering Jobs is vegan, that might have the opposite effect. At least if you're talking about a philly cheese steak it would.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-10, 16:06

Wait just a minute...are you telling me that Boston - BOSTON - doesn't yet have an Apple store?!?

I would've never guessed that in a gazillion years. That's a major, major city! I assumed it's had one for years now...

Hell, there are 712 in the L.A. area alone, at this point...and Boston doesn't get ONE?

EDIT: okay, I'm an idiot...Boston, proper I guess. Seem to be FIVE in the general Boston-y vicinity. Whew...
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-02-10, 16:08

I'm a happy camper, since from the sounds of things Apple is going building an Apple Store in my area, I'll stick to the local dealer to save on gas mind you, but its good none the less.
judeobscure

2006-02-10, 16:14

At least you have some Apple stores in the Boston area already. There isn't one damn Apple store in western MA at all!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-10, 16:15

According to internal documents (don't ask), Chattanooga is #8,732 on the Apple Store location master list, behind Possum Biscuit, AK, Cooter's Corner, IN and a few other major cities.

"So you're saying I've got a shot!"

Should be any decade now! <crosses fingers>
Wrao
Yarp

2006-02-10, 17:26

Dang, I used to live right across the street from prudential.

Well, I lived on newbury and fairfield which is a small block away from boylston.

I remember having to trek through a snowstorm to get to the cambridge store once because I needed a laptop case that day!

Ugh, that was a damn adventure. I got halfway there on the T when they informed me that I had to get off and take a bus the last half of the way because they were servicing the T line that otherwise goes pretty much directly to the mall.

So, I had to get off the T and walk 2 blocks in the snow to the bus. Then the bus got me(and like the 2 other retards that decided to goto the mall that day) to the mall, but dropped us off 2 blocks away. Again, 2 block walk through the snow.

All for a lousy laptop case.

Actually, the case is great and it still serves me well.

phew.

The store will do very well though, just the berklee kids alone(all of whom are required to own powerbooks) will make sure of that.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-02-10, 17:52

Yeah, almost every major city in the Us has an Apple store, just many of them are located in Mecha-malls that are located in the city limits of these cities.

But it seems Apple is moving towards having stores in the downtown areas of city, with a SECOND NYC store and now this Boston store.

Rumors have it that Apple wants a Philly store, but they are just looking for the right spot(One rumor spot is South Street for an iPod store..aka those mini Apple stores and west Chestnut Street would be a Flagship store)

Jebus Google, just buy Apple already...
TednDi

2006-02-10, 20:28

Hey!!

That's 24nyc Apple Store Bub!

...and if they served liquor after midnight it would be one of the coolest spots anywhere in NYC!

ipod dj's battling for itms gift certificates...

video artists doing visuals.....

2 blocks from my apt......

S.W.E.E.T!
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-02-11, 01:29

I meant second NYC flagship store that's in Time Square(or near it)

Because NYC needs another Apple store there
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-02-11, 03:58

I wouldn't mind a flagship store in Seattle...there are 4 in the area now (2 mall stores, a mini store, and a large store down the street from me), but they form sort of a bullseye around downtown with nothing in the middle. It would be a pretty great way to stick it to Microsoft, too.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-02-11, 12:40

I wonder what it'd be like if they popped a flagship store just right outside the enterance to Mircosoft's campus.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-02-11, 15:11

lol, it'd be funny ,but couldn't happen since all the area around the campus is either own by Microsoft or Nintendo, the other Redmond resident.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-02-11, 15:29

This all makes me glad I live an hour away from Cupertino, and thirty minutes from San Francisco.

Ah, to live in California.

BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-02-11, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstarrising
lol, it'd be funny ,but couldn't happen since all the area around the campus is either own by Microsoft or Nintendo, the other Redmond resident.
Well, there's already an independent Mac reseller in Redmond 5 minutes away from Microsoft, and my Apple Store 20 minutes across the lake. I'd say we've got them pretty much covered.
Lurch104

2006-02-11, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk
Yea, King of Prussia and Delaware are definately too far to drive to go to the store. There needs to be one right in Center City.
I wouldn't complain. I have to drive to those stores from Harrisburg! Not that I mind or anything...
noah

2006-02-12, 13:38

YEAH thats like 5 blocks from me. Boston our time has come!!!
JK47

2006-02-12, 16:19

Great news! (Especially for a college student in Boston).
bostongeek

2006-02-13, 14:24

Ya, I don't mind driving 15-mins to the Chestnut Hill store, but it hardly provides the same experience as, say, walking into the SoHo store in Manhattan. Add to that the exterior aesthetic of the London store, and I may just have to get in line for the grand opening.

BostonGeek

Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things. - Jack Burton
moiety

2006-02-13, 18:01

Woot.

Granted, taking the E line to CambridgeSide isn't too much of a chore, but living just blocks away from the Pru, I've only got one word: wicked. (As in, wicked awesome, for the uninitiated in native lingo. )

I really, really hope they start construction soon.

EDIT: Ironically, another Apple store just opened in the metro Boston area, in Hingham. We now have six stores around Boston. They're popping up like mushrooms after rain!

Last edited by moiety : 2006-02-14 at 08:23.