User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mac mini intel
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
zebrahead090

2006-02-13, 17:50

I heard that the new mac mini is supposedly about to enter the production lines in the next few weeks. What do you guys think this thing is gonna look like? How many models? Price points? Etc..
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-02-13, 18:02

same price, same look, sower than mac book pro.
zebrahead090

2006-02-13, 18:04

Hopefully not. That would be so boring.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-13, 18:08

Like it or not, that's what Apple did with the iMac and MacBook Pro.

Same design.
Same price.

So, it only makes perfect sense. When you've got a winning design, don't screw with it too much.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-02-13, 18:24

I'm sure I read somewhere that sales of the mini weren't as good as Apple hoped (I did my part!)... so some new features may help up the sales levels? (Ideally at the same price, of course) Maybe...
- Infrared port and apple remote to allow front row
- Built in iPod dock (cash in on that iPod Halo effect)
- PLEASE add more USB and firewire ports... even one more of each would suffice
- Up the video RAM... 32 Mb just isn't enough. 64Mb in the upgraded one is better, but 128Mb would be better still

I don't think all that would add too much to the component costs...
spd

2006-02-13, 18:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball
I'm sure I read somewhere that sales of the mini weren't as good as Apple hoped (I did my part!)... so some new features may help up the sales levels? (Ideally at the same price, of course) Maybe...

- Built in iPod dock (cash in on that iPod Halo effect)

I don't think all that would add too much to the component costs...
I just saw on another rumor site that the dock was probably out. Your other requests would still be very welcomed.

Now I'm getting anxious as the Mini has intrigued me for some time. With a speed bump and same price point, I wonder if the Mini's fortunes won't improve. They should add something to spice up the deal; otherwise the Mini isn't that good compared to the iMac (unless of course you have a decent display, keyboard, and mouse).
Reid

2006-02-13, 18:54

It's probably better for Apple if the sales of the mini aren't that huge. It presumably has lower margins than the rest of their line. I think the intention of the mini has always been a "get them in the door" sort of thing--offer kick-ass design and a $499 price of entry, and suddenly a Mac sounds like a much better option than it did before. Once the customer is in the store, it's up to the staff to up-sell them to an iMac or something.

But yeah, I can't imagine they'd ship the next model without at least the addition of Front Row. I mean, they put it on a laptop--if that's not a signal that it's going into everything, I don't know what is.
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2006-02-13, 19:25

I am hoping they include an iSight with it. That would really complete the package. LOL They can't really build one in to the Mini, at least not a practicle one. LOL

Mile 1
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-02-13, 19:55

Maybe they'll add one on the Cinema Displays at the same time as they update the mini/PowerMac? That would make sense.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-13, 20:17

I'm sure they will. I really can't imagine Apple sticking iSight only on some Macs and not others. It'll go product-wide, IMO.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-02-13, 21:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I'm sure they will. I really can't imagine Apple sticking iSight only on some Macs and not others. It'll go product-wide, IMO.
I disagree... How many Mac Mini users will buy a cinema display? Next to none I'm guessing. If I could afford a cinema display, I would have bought an iMac and not a Mini to begin with... So that would segregate every monitor-less Mac person without a cinema display.

Also, I'm guessing the iSight has a pretty good profit margin, £99 for an iSight, when webcams can be bought for 10% of that price (I know, not as good as iSight). So I think they'd be stupid to withdraw the external iSight.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-02-13, 23:33

Except that it might not be selling too well with the "pretty good profit margins."
fteoath64

2006-02-14, 00:16

Well, I was so disgusted that MacMini with Intel did not show up, I built myself a better clone that even the bigger iMacs cannot compete for speed and power. Dual core Opteron processor with PCIe Nforce4 board and a 200G WD Sata2 disk, coupled with Radeon X1600XT video. Beat this!.
firevsh2o

2006-02-14, 05:47

I'm one of those mini owners with a Cinema Display and I am one of those waiting for an upgrade to their current minis.

Why is it so hard for Apple to design a headless computer with decent power around 1000$/€. Every other computer company is able do do it, why isn't Apple capable of doing that?

I really don't want to buy an iMac. If I had done that when I bought my Mini I would have a totally dated iMac rev A.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2006-02-14, 07:03

They can start by including a keyboard and mouse with the computer. These are literally $3 parts and while jobs did his level best to spin it, it just looks cheap in the end without them.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-14, 07:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball
I disagree...
You can disagree all you want, but it's still probably gonna happen.

They'll figure out a way to tie it to the Mac mini (because yeah, not every mini owner is pairing it with an Apple Display, I realize that). But that's not the point.

It'll be on the iBook. And the mini. AND the Cinema Displays.

My entire original point is that it's going to be "product wide"...that means the mini as well. Even if they simply toss in an current, standalone iSight into the box.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2006-02-14 at 10:03.
beardedmacuser

2006-02-14, 07:47

If they do put iSight in the mini, how would it work? When iSight is at the top of the screen (i.e. in MacBook or on top of Cinema Display) it's at eye level, whereas surely most minis sit on the desk at "hand"level. Great for a video of the users shirt, but not so good for the face unless you want a view straight up your nose!

Can't see it happening to be honest.
GWARREN

2006-02-14, 08:06

I agree - I think there is a fair chance it could be on the displays, but not on the mini - they will continue to sell the iSight - hopefully updated and reduced in price soon. I won't be updating my cinema display if it were to be added, but it would be a nice addition for new buyers.

I'm going to stick my neck on the line here and say that the mini update will bring minor component upgrades, maybe even Front Row as well, but no major design changes or DVR features etc. Hopefully Apple is working on a new mini-tower and/or a DVR computer to keep you folks happy instead.

PixelMix - an (almost) daily photoblog for Scotland.
BlockSoft - donationware for OSX.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-02-14, 08:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit
Maybe they'll add one on the Cinema Displays at the same time as they update the mini/PowerMac? That would make sense.
I don't see it happening. You'd be limiting the appeal to non-Apple users quite a lot, and adding substantially to the price tag.
GWARREN

2006-02-14, 08:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeh
I don't see it happening. You'd be limiting the appeal to non-Apple users quite a lot, and adding substantially to the price tag.
I suppose we could argue about this all day. I think it is possible, and I doubt that it would add considerably to the price. They added it to the iMac without bumping the price, and since the displays already have firewire and USB cabling, it would be easy to integrate. Also, there is no reason why they could not make basic drivers for Windows use. Anyway, I bet that 99% of cinema displays are hooked up to macs.

PixelMix - an (almost) daily photoblog for Scotland.
BlockSoft - donationware for OSX.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-02-14, 08:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWARREN
I suppose we could argue about this all day. I think it is possible, and I doubt that it would add considerably to the price. They added it to the iMac without bumping the price, and since the displays already have firewire and USB cabling, it would be easy to integrate.
If they don't add the cost, parts and a margin onto the price, then they make a lower margin - or other components suffer. I'd be interested to see the margin Apple make on their displays, but I doubt very much that they'd want to do that.
GWARREN

2006-02-14, 08:58

Well given the price that the current displays ship for, I'm pretty confident that a few dollars snipped off of that margin wouldn't hurt them terribly.
mooty

2006-02-14, 09:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by firevsh2o
I really don't want to buy an iMac. If I had done that when I bought my Mini I would have a totally dated iMac rev A.
says the person with a mac mini G4

i love my mini, but would lurve some sexy DVR capabilities! April 1st sounds like its gonna be a hell of a good day for mac fans
Rolo

2006-02-14, 15:16

Now that the MBPs are shipping with faster chips, here's my latest guesstimate for the new Mac mini:

1.67 or 1.83 GHz Core Solo, 1.83 GHz Core Duo high end option
512MB/1GB
80GB, 100GB
ATI Radeon X1400 with 64MB or 128MB VRAM
Combo or SuperDrive
Front Row & Remote

OK, that's what I think Apple will offer, now here's what I hope it'll offer:

Complete DVR functionality with new Front Row 2.0 software and new 12-button Apple Remote

Optical digital audio jacks

HD monitor adapter (component video out)

Full sized 3.5" 7200 rpm HDD

I'm hopeful this will come out on or about April 1 and that this new Mac mini can be used as a set top box or a regular Mac.
rnb2

2006-02-14, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0rpheen
says the person with a mac mini G4
The point being that he doesn't have to pay to replace his flat-screen monitor when he buys the new mini, and he didn't pay for one when he bought the G4 mini, either..............
Rolo

2006-02-14, 19:06

AI now makes the case for Apple to use a 1.67 GHz Core Duo in a Mac mini and iBook since the difference in cost between the Duo and Solo is only $32. Seems like marketing a Core Duo would be easier and more profitable.
trevo

2006-02-14, 19:17

I would be dissapointed if Apple released Cinema Displays with an iSight, I would rather buy a seperate iSight and just have infrared on the Mini.
Reid

2006-02-14, 22:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fteoath64
Well, I was so disgusted that MacMini with Intel did not show up, I built myself a better clone that even the bigger iMacs cannot compete for speed and power. Dual core Opteron processor with PCIe Nforce4 board and a 200G WD Sata2 disk, coupled with Radeon X1600XT video. Beat this!.
Okay: iBook G3 500Mhz, running Mac OS X.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-14, 22:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
Okay: iBook G3 500Mhz, running Mac OS X.
Ding ding ding!!

We have a winnah!
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2006-02-15, 08:54

Good one

I'm guessing Vista on a 500Mhz PC won't be pretty.