Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Apple Keyboard Update v1.0 for Intel Macs

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Keyboard Update v1.0 for Intel Macs
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-04-27, 17:11

The update "addresses reliability of keyboard and mouse functionality", and is recommended for all Intel-based Macs. It's a 12.3 MB download, and requires Mac OS X 10.4.6.

12.3 megs for a keyboard update?! Just what needed to be fixed?

Here's the Apple Support page for the update.

Last edited by SpecMode : 2006-04-27 at 17:33.
graphik

2006-04-27, 17:19

The update for my MBP is only 1.8MB.
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-04-27, 17:22

Ah...the one on the support page must be a combo updater, then. I guess the keyboard software/drivers must be different on each machine.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-04-27, 17:28

Say it for me three times: Software update sizes can vary
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-04-27, 17:34

Security updates and OS updates usually do, yes. I guess I figured that something as simple as a keyboard software update would be similar on every OS X installation.
audiopollution

2006-04-27, 17:41

Much snappier, now.
dyinosars

2006-04-30, 16:32

This keyboard update has actually caused my computer to be noisy again. I had been using magicnoisekiller and it was working great, I would just run it each time I would restart, but after installing this update, it is ineffective. The noise is louder than ever, but I have been using a program called QuietMBP, which works well, but I just hate the fact that it uses battery. Does anyone know if there is a way to uninstall this update without re-installing the operating system? I am getting closer to sending my computer back to apple but it seems like they have not fixed the noise issue yet. I imagine it is just a matter of time and that's what you get when you buy a newly released machine...
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-04-30, 17:29

Dunno what to tell you. My MBP did the same thing once I installed the update; I used the 'fix' detailed on the Apple Discussions board to get rid of the noise - as far as I can tell, it works for its intended purpose, but you'll lose a significant amount of battery life in the process (due to disabling CPU stepping...I don't run my MBP on battery anyway, so this doesn't really affect me).

Quoted here (since the thread mentioned is bloody huge and takes forever to load on my (temporary) DSL connection) - do not try this if you're not comfortable with casually chucking a kernel extension into the Trash just to make your MBP run quieter (and a bit faster)!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Discussions board post on how to stop The Whine
Just have a look at the first post and read it up to step one:

>Your dreams have come true. There is a cure for the whine >that requires no programs to run and persists between >reboots.

>It requires the editing of one file. Please attempt this >only if you understand what you are doing. I take no >responsibility for your actions.

>Here are the steps:

>1. Find the file: -> System -> Library -> Extensions -> IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext

OK so far? You found the file? Well - then next comes step

2. Grab it and trash it! You will need the admin password to do so.

The next steps I can only guess what the english menus sound like, cause I'm using a german system:

In the folder Tools under Programs there should be something like a harddisk utility, where you select the volume your MacOSX sits on. Then there is a button way down the window that says something like repair Access rights. This is now step

3. Press this button and let the Mac do its work.

4. Reboot

5. Enjoy!

PS: Me either do not take any responsibility for what you are doing.
Yeah, I have absolutely no problem throwing away .kext files, seeing as I did quite a bit of it not too long ago.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-04-30, 18:19

Heh. I'm game!

I'll do it tuesday, after my weekly back-up routine.

Not that mine is making much noise, but perhaps it'll start making anti-noise?