Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Recovering deleted images from XdCard

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Recovering deleted images from XdCard
zoomcookie

2004-09-10, 13:43

Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine has accidentally deleted a valuable photo from his digital camera before he saved them on his PC.

Can someone please advise on a way of retrieving deleted image? He has not formatted the card. He simply deleted the photo using the delete function on the camera.

Am I right in thinking the photo is still on the card and possibly retrievable?

Ideally I would like a way of doing this from my PowerBook (10.3.5). He has an old ThinkPad running Win98 SE.

Thanks
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2004-09-10, 15:43

Try this:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11861

Worked for me but takes a while.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2004-09-11, 00:21

I use Data Recue X

My advice thought is do not take any more pictures until you retrieve the file. Formatting it is not a problem. Just dont shoot any more pictures. Your image should easily be recoverable. The other day i deleted an image off my camera when i was at work. When i got home i decided i wanted the image so i just retreived it with Data Rescue X.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
cudaboy_71

Send a message via AIM to cudaboy_71  
2004-09-11, 17:08

i've used photorescue with great success before. you can even download the demo, see if it can retrieve your photos, and buy the app if it will work for you.
zoomcookie

2004-09-12, 02:28

I looked at Data Rescue X but I decided it was too expensive at $89. I couldn't see a demo on their website. Ebby's solution works flawlessly and it's gonna stay on my hard drive but in this case it was of little use. To use Exif Untrasher you need to mount the card on the Mac and my USB card reader does not read XD cards. I tried it with a compact flash card from my Powershot A40 and I was amazed as photos taken and deleted last year popped up for retrieval. The question now is how can I mount the XD card through the camera (It's a Fuji S3000 I think)

I will try Photorescue today. The website says it *May* work directly with the camera.

Thanks
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2004-09-12, 03:31

Exif Untrasher is great, as recommended above. I wouldn't borrow someone's camera without it.
zoomcookie

2004-09-12, 04:50

Tried photorescue but still no luck. It looks like my friend will have to buy a card reader. Apparently some cameras have a mode where they appear as an external disk when plugged into a computer which would eliminate the need for a reader. Neither my Canon or my friend's Fuji have this feature.

Thanks again for the help.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2004-09-12, 07:24

I think i got Data Rescue from Aquisition...
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-09-12, 08:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp
I think i got Data Rescue from Aquisition...
I am not sure how it is viewed now, but I think this sort of statement is frowned upon.....
zoomcookie

2004-09-12, 09:18

I don't know about anyone else but I would feel guilty using illegal Mac software, especially from smaller software companies who probably need all the support they can get. I would give my right arm for a copy of Photoshop and even MS Office though Some apps are just way outside my budget.

I don't mean any disrespect to Usurp by saying that. I do have one or two PC apps which I didn't exactly pay for
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-09-12, 09:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomcookie
I don't mean any disrespect to Usurp by saying that. I do have one or two PC apps which I didn't exactly pay for
I now exactly what you mean, but you do "try" to be discreet