Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Electronic Fax

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Electronic Fax
iThink therefore iMac

2008-01-25, 12:11

Hi All,

I need to send a fax, and it would be much easier to send it electronically rather than printing out the document and sending it through a fax machine.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a website that would allow me to do this. I don't mind paying, but the only ones that I found offer monthly subscriptions. I only need to send this one fax, so I'm not interested in a monthly subscription.

Or, is there a way that I can send the fax through OSX? I've never done it before, but I searched and it looks like there is some functionality. It says that I would need to be connected to a phone line, which I don't have. Do you think it would be possible to connect to my mobile phone via bluetooth and then use that to send the fax?

Thanks in advance!
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-01-25, 12:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by iThink therefore iMac View Post
Or, is there a way that I can send the fax through OSX?
I bought an Apple Modem for less than US $50 and print -> PDF -> send as fax (I'm not at my Mac, so the command process might be a bit different). It'll let you search through your address book for the phone number.

Without a phone line you're screwed going that route.

real hackers don't use sigs
iThink therefore iMac

2008-01-25, 12:24

Thanks Taskiss. Do you know if there is any way to do that through a mobile phone? I don't have a land line in my apartment.

I'll mess around, but if anyone has done it before I would appreciate some guidance.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-01-25, 12:25

Taskiss, so if the computer had a built in modem (i.e. iBook G4) you could fax by just hooking up a phone line?

I didn't know that.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-01-25, 12:33

There are numerous electronic fax providers out there. just google "fax" and a bunch will pop up.
It works as an email, and accepts attachments.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-01-25, 12:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by iThink therefore iMac View Post
Thanks Taskiss. Do you know if there is any way to do that through a mobile phone? I don't have a land line in my apartment.
I believe you're screwed. The modem uses a USB connection and I'm fairly sure it synthesizes the appropriate tones via hardware (since it's described as an external modem) and transmits them through the phone line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_USB_Modem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk View Post
Taskiss, so if the computer had a built in modem (i.e. iBook G4) you could fax by just hooking up a phone line?
I believe so.

real hackers don't use sigs
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2008-01-25, 12:41

LOL, kids these days! Of course you can fax with any modem and a landline! A fax machine is nothing but a scanner/printer with a modem. This would even work with mobile phones if the telcos weren't disabling all the useful functionality on handsets in the US. In Europe, many providers actually give you a separate number for receiving faxes, and they keep Bluetooth and stuff enabled so you can just use the phone as a modem (and thus fax).