User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

MBP to Sound Board Issue!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MBP to Sound Board Issue!
surjones

2009-06-18, 16:50

I have an Alesiss 12 channel USB board - Had for about 4.5 years. NOW.. NEVER an issue. Well as of a couple days ago - I starting having some problems with static sounds - I cant watch a DVD or Hulu and still the same thing - I tried a family members, 15" MBP and NO ISSUE. What do you think could be the issue?

Stuff I have installed iWork09 I think that was the last thing I have installed when I starting seeing this issue! (oh I should say one thing that was a weird acting issue, was opening up finder from the D-loads folder near trash in dock. would open up Soundtrack loop program but doesnt anymore )
surjones

2009-06-19, 14:46

anyone?
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-06-19, 15:10

Have you tried all of the usual remedies? I'd try repairing permissions, reinstalling any drivers, trashing preferences, resetting your P-RAM (does this still apply to intel macs?). That's all I can think of...

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
surjones

2009-06-19, 15:15

LOL - I have no idea what the "typical" remedies, since I am still a newb. lol

I know how to Verify and Repair Permissions (doing now), but how do I Re-install a drivers for audio, and what does Trashing preferences do and do they just automatically show up again once deleted?
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-06-19, 16:02

It's OK if you don't know the standard steps for problem solving on a Mac . These are just the ones I've seen suggested for almost every problem, and one of them usually does the trick!

It's a good idea to check if the problem has been resolved after each step so you know what (if anything) fixed it.

If your USB board has drivers, you could try updating or reinstalling them. If it's just plug and play, then that isn't possible. I'm referring to the device's drivers, not OSX's audio drivers.

If the device has preferences, you can trash them and they'll be recreated next time the program is booted up again. You could also try trashing your Apple audio preferences, though I've never done this myself. Maybe someone else can confirm that trashing all of the prefs like com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist etc. won't do anything bad...? To my knowledge, trashing preferences can't do much bad. Can someone verify this for us?

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
surjones

2009-06-19, 16:14

No resolution on the Verify and Repair Permissions. I'll try the next steps.

The USB is plug and Play, so no drivers I guess.
surjones

2009-06-19, 22:34

Still need to know if that Reseting the P-Ram would be okay to do on my new MBP?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-06-20, 01:05

I believe it is called a SMC reset on Intel Macs, not sure if it is the same key command or a different one though.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2009-06-20, 01:26

It's OK to do - Not sure it's going to help, but it's not going to hurt anything.

Like PB PM said, it's called resetting the System Management Controller on your MBP.

Let me ask the obvious question: You've tried the other USB port, right?
I believe that one port is full speed, but the other is basically a USB hub and is non-powered.

BTW, specifically which MBP do you have?
surjones

2009-06-21, 11:00

MBP 2.93 4gb Ram - I used the closest USB slot nearest to the Ethernet/Power ports. So Drew being spot on! IT IS THAT USB PORT. I tried another one and Sure enough no issues, sound is spot on with no static sounding....

So this being said. Mine is only 3 months old. Should I take it back today, since the USB are on the logic board, It doesnt sound like an easy fix. What do you think apple stores move will be? Replace it (with the Same one I have (if they have any of those left)) Or would they upgrade me to the newest ones? I go through the business, and cant have my machine gone for than 24 hours.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2009-06-21, 13:42

Glad your issue is resolved!

You could take it to the Apple Store and see what a Genius says, but maybe there is nothing wrong.
I other words, it's likely that your Alesis requires a powered USB port and Apple only gives you one of those, so that's the one you need to use.
surjones

2009-06-21, 22:01

Ya, Im def going to take to the apple store. It's not the board, I've had in the same port for the past 3 months. So def the port issue. Wish me luck, would be nice to upgrade to the 3ghz.!!!!!
surjones

2009-06-29, 16:54

Okay - before I took it in to the "shop" I thought I would do a reformat and sure enough it fixed the issue. My curiosity is what do you guys think only screwed up one port?