User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

So the rest of my 3-year subscription to the now-defunct Electronic Gaming Monthly...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
So the rest of my 3-year subscription to the now-defunct Electronic Gaming Monthly...
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-06-22, 23:44

...will be replaced with Maxim Magazine.

I don't think I'm in their target market.

Says a lot about what EGM thinks about their subscribers, though...

EGM was the best gaming mag out there once, and then they had that long, slow withering that magazines have before they die.

I know, I know: fast-paced industry, technologically-savvy readership, everybody got their news online anyway. But dammit, the UK has EDGE, and Japan has dozens of Famitsus. In the US - where you can get magazines on everything from the foottrails of Oregon to fancypants cigars - can't we just have one decent gaming mag that doesn't treat its readers like unintelligent shit? Srsly.

EGM's mistake was that they were, well, M. They should have been weekly, like Famitsu. The later issues were a quarter the size of the "real" issues, anyway...

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2009-06-23, 07:25

I saw an article about this on another site yesterday. The guy said he was a little embarrassed when he pulled it out of his mailbox. The article I read made mention to EGM trying to make a digital comeback, so keep an eye out.

The problem with the video game magazine industry is the marketing. Penny Arcade did a whole thing on it that I can't seem to find, but basically their point was video game magazines suck because they are essentially funded by the game companies through advertising dollars, so if they write a poor review the advertising stops. The same goes for most video game websites. Penny Arcade, though not really a review site, disclosed their advertising policy by saying they won't advertise a game unless they're allowed to play it first.

Anyway, enjoy your Maxim.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-06-23, 08:07

Roboman + Maxim =

Kinda like giving me a subscription to Mother Jones or, well, Playgirl. Neither one is gonna take...

Enjoy those "Top 50 Tips on How to Nail a Hawaiian Tropic Bikini Model named Brandi, Using Axe Body Spray and a Wing Man", and whatever the hell else that magazine tends to write about.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-06-23, 09:56

Maybe it's a sign for your Robo.

Can you gift it or something?
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2009-06-23, 10:36

Give the Maxims to me, Robo!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2009-06-23, 10:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
Give the Maxims to me, Robo!
I like where this is going
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-06-23, 10:39

You forgot a *giggidy giggidy* in there...
Unch

2009-06-23, 16:41

You should be able to get a refund on the rest of the subscription, at least that's what I've seen in the past when mags are killed off and subscriptions swapped.

I was under the impression that Edge is available in the 'States, why don't you get that instead?

Or Nintendo Power

"It's like a new pair of underwear. At first it's constrictive, but after a while it becomes a part of you."
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-06-23, 17:35

I never knew people subscribed to magazines that far in advance. I suppose it makes sense, if you've got left over capital.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-06-23, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unch View Post
You should be able to get a refund on the rest of the subscription, at least that's what I've seen in the past when mags are killed off and subscriptions swapped.
I looked into that but it turns out I only have a few issues left in the subscription anyway. EGM was $30 for three years when I subscribed, so it doesn't seem worth it to fight for a $2.50 rebate (although I feel bad about the wasted paper).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unch
I was under the impression that Edge is available in the 'States, why don't you get that instead?
EDGE is available in the US, but there's a few problems with subscribing to a UK magazine: It's expensive, the monthly issues are even less current by the time they make their way across the pond, and reviews, et al. are tailored to the UK release schedule, which may be months behind (or occaisionally ahead) of the US release.

That said, I've been a loyal reader, through newsstands and a friend's subscription, for some time, and probably will subscribe. But a decent US gaming mag would be, y'know, better.

I mean, there's been some, in the past. GMR (also published by the ZD Game Group) was great. And that one wasn't even killed by low sales or poor advertising or anything - it was killed by the EB/GameStop merger, of all things.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-06-23, 17:48

You bring up a good point Robo, what is the de-facto gaming mag for the USA now?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-06-23, 18:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
You bring up a good point Robo, what is the de-facto gaming mag for the USA now?
Game Informer is the most popular one, thanks to the furious promotion of 5,000 GameStops, but it's not the best.

Or maybe it is. What else is still out there? GamePro? Ack. In any case, GI really shouldn't be the best.

Multiplatform mags seem to be dying. Say what you will about Nintendo Power and PlayStation Magazine (both of which have improved somewhat since being taken over by Future), but at least they're still around.

I think the problem with most gaming magazines is that they've repeatedly dumbed themselves down in a bid for marketshare; the "lowest common denominator" thing. But the fact of the matter is, the lowest common denominator of game player doesn't buy gaming magazines. Yet they're determined to find some of those people who do, and they kill themselves trying. EDGE and Famitsu don't try to be all things to all people. Cigar Aficionado doesn't try to be all things to all people. Why the entire US gaming media tries to be all things to all people is beyond me.

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2009-06-23, 18:11

Does Play still exist? I remember reading that while in college. It seemed a little more upscale in terms of production and writing when compared to the other gaming mags.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-06-23, 18:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
Does Play still exist?
They seem to. The last issue I read wasn't as good as their earlier issues, but they still might be better than GI.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-08-25, 20:02

I got my very first issue of Maxim yesterday.

I gave it to my sister (she's bi) for the price of three mint Grasshopper cookies. I think we all know who won.

On the subject of me receiving hilariously inappropriate mailings, today I got a poll from the Republic Party, asking me to represent Republican voters in their 2009 Congressional District Census.

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to send it back in, agreeing with all the "liberal" options, just to weaken their data. Hey! They said it themselves - my participation is greatly needed and appreciated.

I have no idea where they got the idea I was Republican, really. I'm registered NP, but in all my one elections, I've never once voted Republican.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-08-26, 01:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
On the subject of me receiving hilariously inappropriate mailings, today I got a poll from the Republic Party, asking me to represent Republican voters in their 2009 Congressional District Census.

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to send it back in, agreeing with all the "liberal" options, just to weaken their data. Hey! They said it themselves - my participation is greatly needed and appreciated.

I have no idea where they got the idea I was Republican, really. I'm registered NP, but in all my one elections, I've never once voted Republican.
I think the bolded part is why you got it. Your ballot, of course, remains secret, but your status as non-partisan makes them think you're a "swing voter" even though you're obviously not.

I think filling it out with liberal opinions but declaring yourself Republican would be funny. I wonder if that would help at all? Since Congress redraws district lines, and the Congress in 2010 will be controlled by the Democrats, you might actually help the Republican party if you register with them.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-08-26, 05:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
I think the bolded part is why you got it. Your ballot, of course, remains secret, but your status as non-partisan makes them think you're a "swing voter" even though you're obviously not.
I suppose. Still, the entire questionairre is written assuming that you're a Republican...it asks you what kind of Republican you are, in the first question, and goes from there. If they were planning on sending it out to non-partisan voters, I would think they would take a little more care...they'd at least include a "I'm not Republican, so stop sending me things" option or something. Maybe they're just assuming we'll ignore it?

All the questions are incredibly slanted, of course. "Do you feel that the huge, trillion-dollar ARRA act will help or hurt," "Do you think the Democrat efforts to destroy conservative talk radio are a violation of free speech," &c. My favorite was "Do you trust the Democrats to take all steps necessary to keep our nation secure in this age when terrorists could strike our country at any moment?" They really are quite the Fear Party, aren't they?

On the subject of TERROR TERROR GAY MARRIAGE, it asked me to rate how opposed I was to gay marriage (but not terror, oddly). It had a nifty little scale! I'm not sure what sort of thought process is involved in ascertaining one's position on that ladder, to be honest. "How much do we hate gays, Martha? Are we a four or a five? I'm gonna put down a five, just to be safe."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
I think filling it out with liberal opinions but declaring yourself Republican would be funny. I wonder if that would help at all? Since Congress redraws district lines, and the Congress in 2010 will be controlled by the Democrats, you might actually help the Republican party if you register with them.
Oh well I wouldn't register with them. I'd write-in, in the first question, that I was non-partisan...they wouldn't somehow take filling in the form to be a sign of Republicanhood, and change my status or anything, would they? Maybe they're sending it to registered NPs in some sort of "voter grab," like a trap or something? (This is Oregon. I wouldn't blame them. They must be sort of desperate. )

Anyway, I don't think I'm going to send it in, as fun as that would be, mainly because there's no way to send it in and not donate. There's the box that says "Yes I'd like to donate Amount X to the Republican Party," but if you don't want to donate, the only other box says "I cannot send a donation at that level right now. But I am enclosing $15 to help defray the cost of processing my Census Document."