Apple Services
Page 1 of 5 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2019-09-10, 13:44

Apple Arcade
  • $4.99/mo with a family plan
  • All the content released through Apple Arcade is new and exclusive to it ala Epic Games Store
  • Info about some games can be found at their website

Apple TV+
  • $4.99/mo with a family plan
  • free year if buy an AppleTV hardware
  • can be viewed on the web as well as on Apple apps for iOS, MacOS, the AppleTV, etc

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-09-10, 13:51

Apple TV+ pricing is good at $4.99/month. That will at least make it compelling enough to try. And, if you buy a new thing from today forward, you get Apple TV+ for 1 year for FREEEEEEE!

Apple TV+, Disney+, Netflix.

Who needs cable?

I think cable becomes a data service within the next 5 years.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-10, 13:55

I really like the Arcade. I have kids all on iDevices so it just makes a lot of sense. The fact that it's a family plan from the start is awesome. I'm not going to buy it right off on launch, but I don't envision me letting much time pass before getting it for the family.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2019-09-10, 14:03

Wait, holdon, it's free with Any Apple thing? Not just with new ATVs?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-09-10, 14:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
Wait, holdon, it's free with Any Apple thing? Not just with new ATVs?
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/...-storytellers/

Quote:
Customers who purchase any new iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac or iPod touch starting September 10 can enjoy one year of Apple TV+ for free.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2019-09-10, 15:02

I'm honestly a little surprised at how aggressively they're pricing these things. I'm a day one signup for Arcade and I'll definitely try TV+ given that I'll be buying at least one new device in the next couple of months.

I also signed up for that 3 years of Disney+ at that insanely discounted rate. We have Hulu through my Spotify account. Netflix is looking more and more likely to get the axe.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-12, 12:30

CNET just posted an article with 51 of the announced games coming to Apple Arcade. Some of those look cool, but only a few look like something I'd kill time with. It will be nice to see what other games end up being included even if not exclusive.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-09-14, 06:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
CNET just posted an article with 51 of the announced games coming to Apple Arcade. Some of those look cool, but only a few look like something I'd kill time with. It will be nice to see what other games end up being included even if not exclusive.
Thanks for that link. I'm getting pretty excited about Arcade. Not for me, but for my kids. I can't count the number of times they'v downloaded a "free" game that needs IAPs to function fully. It's so frustrating for them (and me). It'll be nice to know that they won't have to deal with that nonsense with these games.

Even if they're mediocre. Because, let's face it, people my kids' age don't have great taste in media in general.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-09-19, 10:53

Is this where we should post thoughts about the arcade games?

Like many people, I'm enjoying Sayonara. It's not too hard and the levels are quick which is what I want with mobile games.

I haven't heard much about The Pinball Wizard. It's charming and a fun take on pinball. I haven't played any others but so far, so good with arcade.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-09-19, 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Is this where we should post thoughts about the arcade games?
Seems like a good spot to me.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-09-19, 14:21

From the reviews, it sure sounds like Apple Arcade is the surprise hit (at least with reviewers) and arguably too cheap (uncharacteristically so for Apple). Not that I'm complaining.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-20, 09:58

At least they make the first month free. I'm really up for that though I'm not ready to do the trial until my kid's iPads can be updated. No point in starting the clock on a month when the kids (who it is really for) can even use it. Though it seems that the release is pushed up to the 24th now. So, next week I might jump in for the trial at least.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-26, 22:45

So who's been using Apple Arcade and how do you like it? Does it seem like it would be worth another monthly subscription? I'm thinking I'll wait until macOS 10.15 is out since it will have Arcade as an option on it. Then I can really get my free month's worth out of it.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-09-29, 19:08

Some of the games are fun ways to pass the time. I'm enjoying it. For $4.99/month, it seems like a great deal. I'm going to stick with it for a while.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-10-10, 10:56

If you haven't played Card of Darkness, you should. It's a perfect mobile game. I'm really enjoying it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-10-10, 18:25

Who else has Apple Arcade? I am just having such a hard time agreeing to another monthly service fee. I mean, $60 a year is nothing by itself, but those fees for different things add up. Yes, I know it is free for a month, but then I’m not likely to cancel the service once my kids get ahold of it.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-10-10, 18:36

Haven't done it yet. Not sure if I'm going to. Honestly, I pretty much just play Minecraft.

I know, I'm boring, but I'm really not much of a gamer.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2019-10-12, 15:38

No interest in arcade at all. Most of the Mac OS/iOS games just aren't my style. Even though several of the games I play regularly are on Mac via Steam, I still play them in Windows because they simply work better. The Mac versions crash a lot, due to poor porting for the most part. Now if Apple could get Logitech to make drivers for it's wheels, I might change my mind, but that's unlikely.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2019-10-30, 23:51

Quote:
“The Morning Show” reportedly cost $15 million per episode to produce, for a grand total of $300 million for its two-season order. Apple really bet the bank on this one. Outside of navel-gazing media circles, it’s unlikely to earn much interest.
This is disgusting.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-10-31, 09:51

Apple TV+ just isn't showing anything that even begins to peak my interest. That Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg are working on another WWII saga will get my attention, but I am going to wait and see how that turns out. Otherwise, my nickels are dropping in the Disney+ bucket.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-11-10, 17:55

Apple has really loose standards for what they call new devices. I just got this email:

Cool right? Well all I did was pay $450 for an iPad screen replacement. I guess this makes for the new device. Apple seems really hard up to give away their service in hopes of hooking people into staying on for a monthly cost.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2019-11-10, 20:32

Apple sure is betting a lot of Apple TV+. If I wasn't already signed up for a few streaming services I might try it, but the content looks weak at best.
chinesebear

2019-11-11, 00:24

an iPad screen replacement is $450?!?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-11-11, 00:25

Yep
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-12-16, 09:12

I still haven't jumped on Apple Arcade though I might just do it now. While not a massive savings, it's something:
Quote:
Apple Arcade is now available with an annual subscription option, priced at $49.99 per year in the United States, $59.99 per year in Canada, £49.99 per year in the UK, and €49.99 per year in many other European countries.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-01-27, 17:22

Well, here we are in January and I haven't heard boo from any of my IRL friends about any of Apple's shows. And I mean not one word. Is anyone watching these stupid things? I've wandered through the list and cannot find a single thing that is intriguing (my Netflix watch list has about 20 shows in the queue, and Disney+ has 4). I'm not kidding when I say this: The only places I have seen anything mentioned (outside of AN) have been AppleInsider and MacRumors, and those places are paid to say something.

Today Apple announced yet another political documentary called "Boys State" (I commented on this trend in the Disney+ thread and worried Apple would go the political route). So far, there are a couple of middling, unengaging dramas and a crapstorm of political docu-series things that are all free for a year and worth less.

So far, I am entirely unconvinced that Apple should be in this game. Apple TV+ is like all of the broken parts of .Mac and MobileMe, while still desperately clinging to all of the useless functionality.

Seriously, there is nothing in there worth watching.

chucker

2020-01-27, 18:47

I watched all of For All Mankind. Fantastic show. Good in ways I wasn’t expecting. Best sci-fi ever? No. But absolutely great, and a good sign for a launch title.

Then I watched The Morning Show, a bit more reluctantly. Got pretty good after a while. Had an excellent episode towards the end of the season.

Started watching Little America. Cute and interesting.

I think they’re doing a pretty good job. I’d say they eventually have a shot at eventually becoming the HBO of the 2020s. They don’t quite have a cult phenomenon yet, but come on, they’re only three months old. Give it a year or two and see if they steadily keep adding good stuff.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-01-27, 18:53

We all have different tastes, and I'm glad you found something you liked. I'm holding my breath for the Hanks/Spielberg thing because I absolutely love WWII history and their interpretation of those events.

chucker

2020-01-27, 19:49

I’m just saying I fully expected it to be mediocre and “family-friendly” and it’s really neither.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-01-28, 16:53

I started to watch See but then didn't even watch it yet. The Morning Show I actually started into the first episode and then didn't finish it. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it didn't keep my attention.

They are going to need something else to get my attention. For All Mankind had a chance, but I haven't tried it yet either.