AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Alex Trebek has died at 80

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Alex Trebek has died at 80
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-08, 18:03

As a lifelong (well, since my high school days in the mid-late 80's) viewer/fan, this one stings. I rarely missed this show all these years. It's the only thing I'd really always make an effort to catch. When traveling, upon reaching my stop (hotel, friend's house, etc.), one of the first things I'd always do is find out what time/channel Jeopardy came on in that particular city (always 7:30pm here in Chattanooga on the ABC affiliate, channel 9, and that was just always something I made time for; or would be sure to record if I wasn't able to catch it as it aired...the old VCR route, to modern DVR).

I knew it was coming, but still. When someone is part of your daily routine for 35+ years, it's gonna hit you a bit.

When he announced his illness earlier in 2019 - the type and stage - I figured it wouldn't be long. That he lived another year-and-a-half, filming/hosting shows and making other media appearances, is quite a thing.

PS - The thought of Alex Trebek passing within days of Sean Connery isn't lost on me, thinking back to those SNL sketches years ago.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2020-11-08, 19:20

As you said, this was clearly expected, but it's still disappointing.

We've lately gotten back into watching fairly regularly since it comes on after the nightly news on ABC ends at 7, so we've just been keeping it on.

Iv'e always been into the show because while I didn't know a vast majority, I felt like I knew enough to keep me interested.

Once his diagnosis was announced last year, I thought of who they could get to replace him. They brought Ken Jennings on as a producer and helping to do questions/answers and I feel like that was a precursor to him being the new host.

There are still shows taped through December, but I'm sure they' going to take the next couple of months to get something together, if they haven't started already.

Plus, I really hope SNL does celebrity Jeopardy this week.It's been a while and it's always one of my favorite sketches.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-11-08, 20:33

I was really struck through with an ache when my mom's phone sent that notice across. It was especially gripping since she fell and fractured her pelvis a week ago and is in a rehab hospital, about to turn 90. She watches Alex religiously every evening during the week, and the news felt so shocking despite how unlikely it would be for him to survive.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2020-11-13, 09:10

Never heard a bad word about him - which is rare for any celeb - but everything about him seemed modest and good, including the way he confronted his disease. He kept on doing what he was doing, which is a sure sign he loved it. No need for a farewell tour, or soul baring interviews, just a matter of fact, here's what's happening and here's what I'm gonna do, or keep on doing.

Who is Canada's greatest game show host?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-24, 18:30

Well, crap...I knew it was probably going to happen. Can't stand this guy.

But it's temporary, according to the article (several folks are going to rotate in/out for a while). But he's really the only one who makes sense for the permanent gig, in terms of his $$$ winnings, status/history with the show, that he's won multiple tournaments against all the other "best" champion players, etc. So I have a feeling he'll end up with it before it's all over. Congratulations, if it happens, as it actually does make sense. But man...Alex he ain't.

There's a solid chance some future contestant might punch him in the nose.

If he does land the permanent job, that means my Jeopardy!-watching days are likely coming to an end. Such an arrogant putz (but I might be tempted to watch on the nose-punching possibilities alone, so...).

At least my nightmare replacement - Wanda Sykes - doesn't appear to be in the running. So thank goodness for small miracles. I just had this nagging fear all throughout 2019 and this year that, somehow, she'd be named Trebek's replacement. She's ruined so many shows over the years, trying to host/emcee.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-11-24 at 18:53.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2020-11-25, 09:07

Surely there are worse options than either of Jennings or Wanda Sykes - virtually anyone from the View ?

The person has to sound knowledgeable and fair, but not like a know it all. Trebek was good at that part in particular.

Maybe they could get Meredith Viera?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-25, 11:14

Of course there are worse options than Jennings or Sykes (the cast of Jersey Shore, any of those "Real Housewives", RuPaul, George Stephanopoulos, Pauly Shore, Ozzy Osbourne, pretty much any full-time YouTuber or Instagram "influencer", etc.).

But Jennings and Sykes actually tend to land media/hosting gigs and have a bit of TV presence/history, so those are legitimate concerns and the reason I pointed them out.

As for Vieira, I'd be okay with that. She did a decent job on that other game show she hosted. She's charming/witty, pleasant to look at for 30 minutes and has plenty of TV/on air experience. I didn't think about her, but I'd be okay with that. Not sure if she's looking to sign a long-haul, decades-long contract at her age (66), but maybe she'd be up for 5-10 years? These things only tape a short amount of the year, like a lot of game shows, so she'd have plenty of time to relax or pursue other things.

But I bet they're gonna shoot for someone a bit younger "with legs" that they can lock in for a least 20 years or so. Jennings is 46, and if I did my math correctly, Trebek was about 44 when he started hosting the show in 1984, so that's right where Jennings is, and a solid 20 years younger than Vieira. He could easily do it for 20 years and then retire at 65-66 and hand it over to someone we probably don't even know yet.

I just hope the established tone/vibe is maintained, whoever they go with. There are already plenty of loud, obnoxious, dumbed-down and "clapping seal" game shows in existence. There needs to be at least one that doesn't totally celebrate/champion shallow dumbassery and terminal oblivitardation.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-11-25 at 11:33.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2020-11-25, 12:28

I must not be paying attention to pop culture anymore - I hardly recognize anyone who's famous "just because", and am equally clueless about more than a few who at least have some sort of skill in film/recording/arts... Not that I ever really cared, but at least I used to be aware of the names and likenesses... A sure sign that I'm getting older...

That said, ooh, ohh, I have a good one!

Canadian
Astronaut
Cool guy
Even has the right moustache!

He's a bit older than young Trebek was, at 61, but OTOH, he's an intergalactic recording artist: Chris Hadfield

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-25, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
I must not be paying attention to pop culture anymore - I hardly recognize anyone who's famous "just because", and am equally clueless about more than a few who at least have some sort of skill in film/recording/arts... Not that I ever really cared, but at least I used to be aware of the names and likenesses... A sure sign that I'm getting older...
Not sure I could have said it any better.

Hell, I barely know who Alex Trebek is.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-25, 21:32

...and right on cue.

While I think Jennings is an arrogant twat with the personality of a graham cracker, I'm also not a fan of people hanging others via ancient Tweets.

Because you know damn well as soon as he was announced for the temporary fill-in gig, a bunch of Professional Pearl Clutcher™ (PPC) busybodies went digging through a decade-plus worth of Tweets looking for something "problematic" to hang him on. Because that's what people do now.

And $5 says Jeopardy ultimately pussies out, removes Jennings from the hosting slot, issues some groveling, buzzword-laden "apology" to appease the offense artisans and...hires Wanda Sykes.

But seriously, it's a good thing some people are always perfect and have never said or done anything tacky, off-color or questionable. I didn't realize those folks actually existed in the real world.

Still, Jennings is an idiot - and should be savvy enough, having been a media figure and in the public eye for a long time - for saying things like that, especially on social media for all to see. Hard to feel sorry for some people who haven't figured this out after 10+ years. How many celebrities or public figures - pop singers, actors, athletes, corporate heads, politicians, members of the press and academia, etc. - have stepped on their own crank (and gotten themselves fired from a lucrative gig) by being a moron on Twitter? Dozens and dozens, I'm sure.
¡Damned!

2020-11-26, 01:38

I think the true heir, Will Ferrell, should take it over. Why not? He's smart, quick-witted, and not just funny, but clever.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-26, 03:57

He’d have to really keep himself reined in and focused. I don’t know.

He could be one of the upcoming temporary ones, which would be a funny, sweet tribute for a few episodes, for sure. I bet they’ve lined him up for that at least. I have a feeling he was one of the people they contacted/asked right away. I do think it would be neat if he did so, and actually did it completely straight, out of respect. You don’t wanna ham it up and do shtick, being the reason people don’t get to play a true, full serious match and earn as much as they possibly can. I know if I finally ever made it on and the temporary guest host just acted silly the entire time, I’d be pissed.

“Hey, assholes...I’ve spent 17 years trying to get on as a contestant, I finally do and only seven questions get asked the entire episode because Mr. Showbiz/Johnny Chuckles here has to crack jokes and perform mprov the entire time?!”

Sometimes I think they might surprise everyone and go with a total unknown who comes with no “baggage” of any kind, and would be a blank, clean slate who’d just naturally grow into the show as time went on? There’s nothing saying Trebek’s replacement has to be a known, famous figure. They might go the “star-maker” route and make someone’s career right in front of our eyes?

I still think Jennings gets the job, assuming his past Tweets don’t sink him. Depends on the producers/studio, and how much importance they place on the Twitter offense industry. From “bug off and lighten up, FFS” to “we’re severing all ties with Mr. Jennings effective immediately”, and all points in between.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-11-26 at 04:24.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-31, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
...and right on cue.

While I think Jennings is an arrogant twat with the personality of a graham cracker, I'm also not a fan of people hanging others via ancient Tweets.
An update on the situation, with what appears to be the requisite gun-to-my-head/someone-higher-up-is-making-me-say-this-in-order-to-try-and-keep-my-gig "apology".

I do have to say, I'm pretty stunned he wasn't fired, what with CancelFest 2020 in full swing and all. I'm sure he's as surprised/relieved as anyone.

Although I suppose it isn't over yet.

Because if you put yourself on the wrong side of a certain issue/topic, sometimes you're never allowed back up...and no amount of apologizing, remorse, contrition, self-flagellation and/or check-writing is ever enough. In any case, he might want to hop off Twitter, just to be safe (and to resist the temptation to type uncalled-for dickheaded things for no good reason that might cause him some trouble, with actual consequences).

Seems to be a bit of that going around of late...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-01-01, 01:17

...and sometimes you actually do learn that your ideas on a topic didn't consider other factors.

Absolutely, Cancel Culture might very well eat its most ardent activists one day when they find themselves unexpectedly in its crosshairs (giving them belated perspective on what they did to others).

And those of us who grew up in the age of Don Rickles find it particularly difficult to mince words, speaking in newfangled speech designed to accommodate a very thin percentage of the population.

Totally agree.

However, life rounds sharp edges.

I'm known as a quite the prankster and irreverent soul, but contact with people who aren't like me have changed my perspectives on jokes, from race and gender to physical abilities.

"Colostomy bag" used to be a funny throwaway reference joke for me for YEARS until I made a friend who will live with one on a daily basis for the rest of his life... and suddenly, it stopped being funny.

Jokes I thought were funny 20 years ago are super bigoted to me now, and probably to you too.

Nobody wants to be demonized out of a job, out of public life.

So yeah, that part of cancel culture is dangerous.

But for me, I'm trying to actively reinvent myself in response to the changes society is experiencing.

It sounds like Jennings was doing the right thing of trying not to cover up his screw ups – that would have been my instinct (hiding it would seem disingenuous) but those old tweets have now been pulled, yes, most likely at the advice of the production company's legal team.

Bottomline: my perception is that dismissing cancel culture indicates that we aren't sensitive to the issues it addresses. It's more practical to first separate the issues from the "citizen's arrest" nature of getting cancelled.

I screwed up plenty of times in my life and learned something every time. Cancel Culture doesn't include rehabilitation in its mission, and it should.

We also need Redemption Culture.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-13, 19:55

Anyway...

To my relief, Ken Jennings is doing a nice job. He’s reined in any ducking/smart-ass tendencies and he’s pleasant and keeping things moving at a nice pace. If he lands the gig permanently, and maintains this approach, that’ll be just fine.

Feels so weird watching this with someone else hosting. After 35+ years, you get used to things.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-01-13, 20:16

He's kind of fast... no patter.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-13, 21:13

I like it. Brisk and staying on track.

In his older age, and, of course, illness, Mr. Trebek had become slower on the job, as to be expected. And heaven forbid that ever got paired with a chatty, long-winded contestant who gave their entire life story in those interview segments, tried too hard to be cute/funny with constant quips and asides or who inexplicably took 2-3x longer than most to select a question. I've noticed, in recent years, there frequently being 3-5 questions remaining, unasked, after each round.

That was never the case in years past, so things have changed/slowed. And don't get me wrong: if I had it my way, I'd gladly take that if he were still alive and hosting the show until the end of time. That would be my choice.

But things happen and things change/move on. Jennings, being younger and in good health, is going to be snappier and on-the-go more than we have become accustomed to. They're blazing through all the questions, which I like. So many game shows are so slooowwwwww and dumbed down (and elicit audience applause after nearly everything the host says...talk about a time zapper).

But, to my delight/relief, he's being a good guy on the job. I'm thinking the producers might've sat him down and said "we're not looking to re-invent or upend anything. Go out there, be affable and do what people want to see from such a show...the template has been lovingly established, follow it. You can be a caustic dick on your own time, but not in the house that Alex built...we don't wanna deal with the letters".

And it seems to have taken. This is the most pleasant (and least off-putting) I've ever seen Ken Jennings, and I'm okay with how things are going. Initially I had no desire to keep watching, as it would just make me sad (because I'm a sentimental sap underneath it all). But then I thought "why deny myself the pleasure of my favorite show - and learning stuff along the way?"

Whoever winds up with the gig permanently, as long as they are likable, kind to the contestants and keep things moving nicely, the show will go on (and thrive). The world will always need at least one game show that doesn't hinge on stunts/shtick, total blind luck, double entendre and/or making an ass of yourself on national TV.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-01-13, 21:40

Im a fan of Ken Jennings, so I'm enjoying watching him take this on. Definitely huge shoes to fill, but he's doing a good job.

The list of upcoming guest hosts is very interesting.

Katie Couric will be a good host I believe, and Mayim Bialik will be interesting. I think she can be pretty funny and she'll definitely bring some levity to the host role. Aaron Rogers has always been known for being a pretty humorous guy off the field, so he should be fun to watch as well. Bill Whitaker will probably be boring, but hell, it's Jeopardy, it's fine.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-13, 22:54

I’d like to see Ben Bailey, Mike Rowe, John Michael Higgins and Harry Shearer have a go at it as well. David Duchovny too.

Anyone who has a reputation as being somewhat intelligent and personable (or, at the very least, a reputation of not being a complete bubblehead).

I think Mike Myers would do a nice for a week as well.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-01-13 at 23:06.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-01-13, 23:17

Oh man, Mike Rowe would be fantastic.

You know else would've been great if not for an early death? Grant Imahara from Mythbusters. Damn that would've been good.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-13, 23:30

Absolutely. Well, along those same lines, Grant’s buddy Adam Savage?

But, yes...Grant would’ve been a great choice for a guest host.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-01-13, 23:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Absolutely. Well, along those same lines, Grant’s buddy Adam Savage?

But, yes...Grant would’ve been a great choice for a guest host.
I think Adam could be great but I'm not sure he has the humility to not make every episode about himself. He was the resident clown on Mythbusters.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-01-14, 00:12

If they want someone really under the radar, Kyle Clark of Denver's local NBC station. Very intelligent, great wit, excellent sense of humor.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-15, 16:10

Wow...this is really nice.

Quote:
The donation included 58 dress shirts, 14 suits, 300 neckties, 25 polo shirts, 14 sweaters, nine sports coats, nine pairs of dress shoes, 15 belts, two parkas, and three pairs of dress slacks.
A great gesture/idea, and will surely make a difference for someone. Several someones!

I've got instructions that all my clothing is to go to Goodwill/Salvation Army upon my death. I ain't gonna need any of it, of course. But someone else sure can use it. Hope they like flannel/plaid.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-03-22, 17:09

Who in the hell thought Dr. Oz would be a good idea?

Holy shit how do these people keep their jobs.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-03-22, 17:27

Just saw that announcement on Twitter that this was his week. What an absolute horrible person to have in this role.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-03-23, 12:21

Only Dr. Phil could be worse.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-04-08, 18:33

Vote for John Michael Higgins so we don't have to put up with Dr. Oz again: https://twitter.com/Real_JMHiggins/s...82309555879938
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-12, 10:39

Jeopardy has settled on its new host(s).

Producer Mike Richards gets the regular nightly gig, augmented by Mayim Bialik, who'll do the tournaments and any special, standalone type events.

I'm okay with this. His guest stint went very well and what little I saw of hers was smooth and watchable. Neither seemed interested in doing shtick or making it about them, which was my only hope in all this. Just get someone sedate, pleasant, low-key and who didn't feel the need to crack wise at every opportunity. That wears thin quickly.

They're both young so the gig can be theirs for many years if they want it.

I'm guessing Ken Jennings didn't want the gig because I was sure he was a lock. But maybe that made too much sense, or was too lazy/predictable a choice? He did a good job as host too.

But I'm totally fine with Richards and Bialik doing the tag-team (err...) thing. Something different. Tweak the format a smidge if they think it'll bring something new to the show. Just don't monkey with the actual gameplay/pacing/scoring...it's perfect as is. It doesn't need applause after every answer, people saying "you got this!"/fist-bumping and taking seven minutes to decide which (useless) "lifeline" to use.

Jeopardy is the only game show that doesn't make me want to throw a frying pan at my TV. By definition/design, dumbasses aren't allowed on, so you don't get the Price Is Right, Deal or No Deal and Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? contestants just getting by on pure, blind dumb luck/random chance "decision-making" that could go any way, having no control over their outcome (and acting like blockheads in the process, since they're not really required to know anything beyond their own name). Those kinds of game shows have never appealed to me...why would I want to watch strangers blindly roll dice (metaphorically) and "guess" for 30 minutes? Hell, I can do that. Yes, you may get the occasional lip-smacker, smart ass or vocal fry artisan on Jeopardy, but that's a small price to pay for people who actually know some legit, staggering shit (and earn some good money as a result).

But hey...my nightmare host, Wanda Sykes (or Andy Dick), didn't land the gig. That's all I need to be relieved. They could've hired anyone other than those two and I would've been okay with it.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-08-12 at 11:16.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-08-12, 11:29

Mike Richards was...fine? I feel like he snuck himself in the schedule when he wasn't originally done (The guest host that he replaced reportedly needed a day change, which the staff was going to accommodate, but then Richards put himself in there pitching it as "an emergency replacement") I'm sure this was his goal the whole time. He also has a string of sexual harassment claims against him from his time on other shows. Not a great pick in my opinion.

Bialik was great and she'll do a good job. I wish it was her permanently, but at least she's got her foot in the door.

Apparently they didn't want Jennings because he'd be overshadowing the players because he's the "Greatest of All Time!!" I liked his run and hopefully he can come back and do some appearances in the future.