Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Not The Duckies!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Not The Duckies!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-04, 13:28

So, tragedy struck the family last night. Well, not my family, but a ducky family. And I just need to get this off my chest, because it really sucked and I need to vent.

So, my wife, daughter, and I were returning home from date night (we took the kid because she wanted to see a flick). As we were approaching the intersection near my work (I left the truck here and rode with them to conserve things) when my wife yells out, "Oh, Ken, the duckies, not the Duckies!"

She was driving and I saw nothing in the road, so I'm like, "What duckies?"

"I think it was a family of duckies," she says, "a whole family. They just got run over."

We were stopped at the light and I looked but saw nothing.

As the light turned green and we proceeded with our left turn, she says, "Maybe it was just feathers, but I think it was duckies."

"Well, I said, let's turn around and look. If the little guys are in the road they'll get splattered."

So, we U-ied and went back. Upon turning right (back the way we had come) sure enough an entire family of little critters was all splatter in a straight line up the street. It's a busy road and there's a turn barrier there. I think the momma duck was trying to get her kids over that barrier and they were lined up parallel to the flow of traffic. My wife watched as a big, white picked rolled over the top of the whole crowd at 40mph.

Ugh!

I told my wife to stop in the middle of the road and put on her flashers. Then, I got out and went to the inside lane where there were 7 baby ducks all lined up. Five were smashed flat, but two were jumping around. Momma duck and another baby had found the side of the road and momma was quacking up a storm. One of the living was bleeding from the eyes and mouth, and the other was pretty much running in confused circles. I picked up one, and my daughter (who had made it to my side) picked up the other. We went to the sidewalk and that's when I noticed my daughter was crying as though she had been the smasher. I've never seen her react like that.

I'm not sure who I felt worse for, the duckies or my 24-year-old kid.

Anyway, the duck I was holding wasn't going to make it. It was just lying there kicking its little duck-feet and bleeding from all its head holes. I told my daughter that mine wasn't going to make it, but hers appeared to be okay, if not concussed. I think that one got its head hit by a tire, but not smashed.

Momma and the didn't-get-a-scratch survivor had pulled up next to the gas station/car wash we were next to and were talking all kinds of smack. I took the reasonable duckling from my daughter and set it off toward its mom, but all it did is run in circles, flop around, and cuss me out. Meanwhile, this lady wandered up the sidewalk and was watching.

I looked at my daughter, who was still crying, and told her the truth, and that mine was suffering, and I knew what needed to be done. I'm not going to tell you how I did it, but I ended that problem and I get to live with it.

The lady watching said, "You did the right thing. By the way, if you want some blackberries there's a bunch along the canal."

WTF? Yeah, no shit. You're probably thinking the same thing I am!

After that was dealt with, I focused on the little guy that was still trying to find mom. The healthy ducky could jump the curb and follow mom, but the injured one couldn't, and I kept having to give it a boost. Momma went around the corner, trying to get the hell away from the meddling humans (after all, what does she really know?). I helped the injured one over the curbs leading into the carwash, and it finally got to mommy and tried to huddle down, but momma wouldn't stop shuffling about.

I called county dispatch and got the name of some joint that might be able to come collect them, but it was 10:30pm and I got an answering machine. No luck there.

And then, the almost unthinkable happened, but it was a good unthinkable. Momma duck wandered toward an open door leading into the car wash's store room. Lights on and everything. Momma decided that was a good place to be and helped herself in, followed by one good duck and one confused duck who was moving better by the minute. I yelled in to see if anyone was about, but got no answer, so I did what any reasonable person would do: I slammed the door and made sure it was shut good.

Then, I went into the adjoining gas station and asked for the manager, who was home sleepingā€¦or something. I told the cashier my story and she almost started crying. I mean, all the dyed-hair, piercings, and tattoos don't take the girl out of the girl, if you know what I mean. She decided she needed to close and lock the door, to which I replied I had already taken that liberty. She called her manager as she went "out back" and I met here there. When she opened the door, all three of my new friends were all hunkered down waiting for liberation.

So, I left them at that, trusting the teary-eyed cashier to take whatever next step needed to be taken.

Back in the car, we got my truck and took a quiet drive home.

I failed to mention that when I dealt with the suffering ducky's suffering, I got a lot of its blood on my hand and needed to wash up. After washing, my daughter crawled into my arms for what is likely the longest hug I've ever gotten from her. She was very sad, but I also think she saw some "hero" in me and was silently thanking me. Then she went to her room and closed up shop for the night.

I can't stop thinking about that little suffering ducky, though. For context, I won't ever hunt animals for sport and I have no need for the meat since it's so easy to get from the store (lacking that, I will feed my family however I have to). I'm no vet, but I know full well when a month-old duckling is beyond humanity's capacity to help. Bleeding from eyes and crushed snout is beyond even that point, and I hated to see it suffering. But, no reasonable vet is going to do anything, and it would never have made it that far anyway.

So, I just needed to get that off my chest.

Now get back to work, already!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-08-04 at 14:30.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-04, 13:46

I couldn't get past the second paragraph. Sorry for what happened, I could tell it was bad/sad. But I can't venture into the details...

I just can't deal with animals being hurt (or sick, neglected, mistreated, etc.). šŸ˜¢
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-08-04, 20:35

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-04, 22:49

I know you needed to get this out of your system but having witnessed similarly injured animals myself in the past this was a huge trigger for me I had to skim. I'm sorry that this happened to the duck family and to your family. The images won't leave you. You're going to need to find peace somehow.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-05, 11:07

Thanks, Drew. I know that, and already have. Just writing the "story" is my way of dealing with that. I'm not rummaging around in the depression bucket, believe me. I've got much bigger problems to focus on.

My kid goes back to work on Monday (she's a teacher), so she also has her head wrapped around a million things and seems fine.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)