User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

dead pixels

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
dead pixels
ironlung

2005-02-17, 18:07

What is apples policy of dead pixels? my brand new powerbook has one was just wondering. Its not that annoying... Couldnt find info for it online..except for ppl complaining. thanks
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-02-17, 22:02

This all depends on the colour and location of the dead/stuck pixels.

If they are near the center of your screen, it's less (2 or 3), but around near the edge, it's more like 6 or so. If they are dark, more are needed, light, less. In the end, while apple has this in black and white, it is VERY flexable.

And guess what? If you call Apple, and bitch about the pixels (say you are a graphic artist and can't stand even one) they might give you a code (no, not a case number, a 'CS' code... and don't say 'I need a CS code' either.) that can get the LCD replaced at a repair center.

Sadly, however, the replacement might have two, and that's still in spec.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-02-17, 22:09

are they dead or stuck? dead pixels are grey. stuck pixels are either reg, green or blue.

often times stuck pixes can be fixed by massaging them gently with a soft cloth like you'd use to wipe a camera lens.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
ironlung

2005-02-17, 23:58

its a red pixel. Ive tried the soft cloth method, but i dont want to press too hard..dont want to damage the screen. I read at anandtech that red stuck pixels never get fixed
thegeek

2005-02-18, 10:19

When they swapped my iBook, they told me that I would get exactly one swap and if the new one was far worse then that the risk I took.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-02-18, 10:41

a red pixel would be no different than a green or blue one. a pixel's a pixel as far is i know. not sure why a red one would be impossible to fix. esp. since i had a red one stuck on this machine, it's it's better now.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
ironlung

2005-02-18, 15:41

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=1855

Well i called and theyre mailing me a box to ship it back in. I really dont want to send it...but want it fixed. Another thing i noticed was that i get these stuck pixels on occassion when running anything graphic intensive..a few of them..but they become okay after a while.. and as i said in another post...i have a grey shadow bar at the bottom of the screen. When i close the lid, the left side of the screen touches the keyboard side while the right hand side is considerably raised.. so its bent. I would like to hear comments please... im not trying to complain.. personally i can live with this.. just want to know what the norm is. Im generally very particular about my things.. always like to keep them in good condition.. and thus I have a habit of noticing such things.. nothings perfect but my friends 1 yr old powerbook is not bent. Thanks.