Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

RSS-Readers and the Tech behind it...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
RSS-Readers and the Tech behind it...
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-06-08, 01:16

I was linked to this page and it got me to thinking just what is rss...

The idea is great: a personal, customizable news stream... but how well does it work in practice?

who here uses rss feeds? on what sites? what rss client do you use?

Do any web browsers support it natively?

Anyone know of some relevant links that will help others understand the tech? I remember reading a review months ago that was pretty good but it didn't capture my interest...

I'm going to test it out tomorrow but I figured I would start a thread to see how you all use the tech...

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-06-08, 02:20

I went through this epiphany about 6 weeks ago: I suddenly realised that RSS was very very cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
I was linked to this page and it got me to thinking just what is rss...

The idea is great: a personal, customizable news stream... but how well does it work in practice?
Rather well. It stops me obsessively checking sites to see if they've been updated

Basically, your client will periodically check the feed for new headlines, and present them them to you as "unread" items, often in a email-like kind of metaphor. Headlines sometimes come with some commentary, sometimes not. You click on the unread item, and double click/single click/hit return, depending on the program to open up a browser, internal or external to the program, which allows you to view the page.

Quote:
who here uses rss feeds? on what sites? what rss client do you use?
Shrook is the client I use, largely because its distributed checking is very efficient, and makes it very easy to switch between machines seamlessly (basically, every time a Shrook client checks a feed, if it changes, it submits the changes back to Shrook central, which then distributes the change information to all other clients. Shrook central also stores info on which items you have/haven't read from your subscribed feeds, so that when you fire up the client on another machine, things are marked read/unread correctly)

Quote:
Do any web browsers support it natively?
A better question might be: which RSS clients for Mac OS X don't contain integrated web-browsers? It seems WebCore adoption has been particularly rapid in this area. Shrook and Pulp Fiction are examples of this. Personally, I just get them to spawn an external browser (Safari) in the background, and this works just fine for me.

Having said that, Omniweb does something fairly similar (it checks your bookmarks to see if they have changed, at specified intervals, without RSS).
Ryan
Veteran Member

2004-06-08, 10:11

I use NewsYouCanUse. It sits in the menubar. Sometimes it can get a bit slow, and it does crash a bit, but only when I try to open it while it updates itself.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-06-08, 10:37

I use NetNewsWire Lite but only because I've never used anything else. It is free and has an Apple Mail like interface (only, obviously, for RSS).

Barto
autodata
hustlin

2004-06-08, 16:56

NetNewsWire

But these days I don't really like rss anymore. Not enough of a benefit. I use it only for a bunch of blogs that aren't updated very frequently or that aren't that interesting.