AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Nintendo Wii Launch set for Nov. 19

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Nintendo Wii Launch set for Nov. 19
Page 1 of 18 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-09-14, 10:43

And it'll cost you a measley $249. And it'll come bundled with a mittfull of games consisting of Wii Boxing, Wii Bowling, Golf, Baseball, and Tennis. All the games included are all perfect for using the new controller to look like an idiot in the comfort of your own home. And they're all games that'll appeal to non-gamers. Oddly, they're launching in North America before Japan.

Virtual console games will be $5 for NES, $8 for SNES, $10 for N64. Super Mario 64, Super Mario World, Donkey Kong and Legend of Zelda at launch. Seems kind of pricey for some games. I don't know if Excite Bike is actual worth five bucks but ten bucks for Super Mario 64 is pretty good.

Regardless, I'm getting one. It'll be the first time since the Atari Jaguar that I'll pick up a console close to it's launch.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/14/u-...-liveblogging/
CoolToddHunter

Send a message via AIM to CoolToddHunter  
2006-09-14, 10:53

Hey! Me too! I haven't fully decided to bite the bullet in the Wii, yet, but I probably will. And my last console was the ill-fated Jaguar.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-09-14, 12:14

It all hinges on the back catalogue for me: there were so many N64 games that I would have loved to play but was never able because a 12 year old doesn't get £50 a year too often ($100 basically). Space Station Silicon Valley is one I'd love to play, and Rakuga Kids.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-09-14, 12:19

The Wii is really interesting to me, and I might buy one down the road. I don't have the kind of time I used to have for video games, though, and I already have an XBox 360. The big thing for me is the virtual console. I think that's one of the best ideas ever.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-09-14, 12:55

Is America going to get the black one? I think I'm going to wait and get that one.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-09-14, 13:06

Did the much-ballyhooed Panasonic-branded Nintendo Cube ever come out? I remember it was more of an A/V console piece with the Nintendo guts inside. I almost held out for one of those thinking it would have additional features. As I haven't seen anything about it since then I suppose it went the way of MacGeek2006.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-14, 13:25

drewprops: Yes, the Panasonic Q came out...year and years ago. Like, seriously, 2002, I think. It was discontinued a ways back, and it's really rare now. If you want one, expect to pay $500+.

blackbyrd: No, America is not getting the black one. I think the logic is, with all the Wii Remote add-ons (the Nunchaku, the Virtual Console Controller, etc.) it simply be too hard to make them all in different colors. Personally, I wouldn't mind if the add-ons were white and the controller was green or something - it doesn't look that bad. But whatever. White only, for now. You can bet on more colors later - this is Nintendo, after all.

I'm getting one day 1.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-09-14, 13:45

I've never considered it before but what are the revisions at Nintendo like? What would one expect the 2nd revision Wiis to have that the initial release lacked?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-09-14, 13:47

Hmm, I'm actually going to get one. Sweet.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-09-14, 13:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I've never considered it before but what are the revisions at Nintendo like? What would one expect the 2nd revision Wiis to have that the initial release lacked?
I don't think anyone really considers it, video game consoles typically get revised silently and they fix mostly innocuous issues like potentially faulty under certain circumstance disc drives or flimsy hardware. The devices don't get new features or speed bumps though since that would potentially alienate older systems, which doesn't fly too well with Video Games.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2006-09-14, 14:06

Also, since Nintendo consoles are traditionally less PC like than the MS or Sony ones, the hacking community doesn't seem to rely on first edition weaknesses as much as those two do. You can buy a first rev. and not work about it with nintendo.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-14, 14:58

Yeah...really, the only things Nintendo adds to their consoles are new colors and lower prices. All consoles are relatively "standardized" (although the Xbox 360 and PS3 are less so) - that's the point. No need to worry about system requirements - if it says "Wii" (or Gamecube) on the box, it'll play it.

Now, Nintendo handhelds usually go through several "revisions" (more akin to the iPod's "generations"), such as DS -> DS Lite and Game Boy Advance -> Game Boy Advance SP -> Game Boy micro. But even those hardware redesigns rarely add new features (and they occaisionally drop some, for the sake of size). It's not uncommon to see a smaller version of a console released toward the end of a console's lifecycle (a result of having all the chips consolidated to one board, and an attempt to boost sales) but Nintendo never redesigned the GC, and it's hard to imagine the Wii getting any smaller.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-09-14, 16:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
I don't think anyone really considers it, video game consoles typically get revised silently and they fix mostly innocuous issues like potentially faulty under certain circumstance disc drives or flimsy hardware. The devices don't get new features or speed bumps though since that would potentially alienate older systems, which doesn't fly too well with Video Games.
That's why I much prefer gaming on consoles versus a PC (whether Mac or Windows). Each game is guaranteed to work as advertised. No worries about hardware incompatibilities or having to buy new stuff just to play the damned thing.

I'm definitely getting a Wii. Not planning on bothering with a 360 or PS3.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2006-09-14, 17:07

So any of you guys going to pre-order a Wii, and if so, where are you ordering from?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-09-14, 17:09

My brother-in-law is stationed in Japan. I may have him pick up a black one for me. Of course, I'd have to clear up some money in my "electronics budget" for one... Hmmm.....
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2006-09-14, 17:09

wii for me too...will be my first console since my system that played pong way way way back...

can't wait to do some fishing...get my cooler, maybe sit on a slightly underfilled airmattress and just do some vitural catch and release....mmmm, catch and release....my second favorite phrase with release in it, right after massage with release

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2006-09-14, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
So any of you guys going to pre-order a Wii, and if so, where are you ordering from?
amazon probably...where do you recommend?

g
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-09-14, 17:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
Yes, and probably Amazon.
blakbyrd

2006-09-14, 19:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
No, America is not getting the black one. I think the logic is, with all the Wii Remote add-ons (the Nunchaku, the Virtual Console Controller, etc.) it simply be too hard to make them all in different colors. Personally, I wouldn't mind if the add-ons were white and the controller was green or something - it doesn't look that bad. But whatever. White only, for now. You can bet on more colors later - this is Nintendo, after all.
I think the Wii is going to be region free. So if there is no black one, I'll just get mine from Japan, probably.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-14, 19:57

Have other colors been announced in Japan? I didn't catch that - I think it's white-only for Japan, too, at launch.

And Nintendo announced that their games will be region-free, but there is still the capability for other publishers to region code their games if they wish. I think they'll follow Nintendo's lead, though.

blakbyrd

2006-09-14, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
And Nintendo announced that their games will be region-free, but there is still the capability for other publishers to region code their games if they wish. I think they'll follow Nintendo's lead, though.
Yeah, I know.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-09-14, 20:43

<strong sad voice>
I always get the new Entendo, so I'll probably get this one too....
</strong sad voice>
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-14, 22:49

I'm probably going to pre-order mine at a GameStop that's like a block away from my house. And I'll still show up at midnight.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-09-15, 12:08

I might actually get one. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I've never been much of a gamer, but $249 and the prospect of playing all those old school games on it too is pretty cool to me.

Come waste your time with me
sunrain
Veteran Member

2006-09-15, 12:31

My wife is buying one and she's never been much of a gamer. I'm excited to have one in the house. Should be fun.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-15, 16:50

Just so you all know:

If you want a Wii at launch, reserve it.

Nintendo should have many more Wiis at launch then Sony will have PS3s, but the interest in the Wii has been phenomenal. People have been asking my local GameStop almost nonstop if they could reserve it. (The answer is: Not yet, although EB and GameStop are rumored to start taking reserves by the end of next week.) They started taking Zelda: Twilight Princess pre-orders today, and I've heard that if you pre-order TP, you get first dibs on a Wii pre-order.

I'm worried that I might be too late, even if I get over there to reserve TP today.

So, um, yeah. Pre-orders are your friend, at least if you want to get one before Christmas.

Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-09-15, 17:00

One cheap-out bummer: Matt at IGN has confirmed in the forums that it will come with composite cables - component will be sold separately. Given that they're putting games in 16:9 and pro-scan, I can't see why they're chinzing out on a few dollars in cables.
ironlung

2006-09-15, 17:33

Amazon was taking preorders today for the wii.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-09-15, 17:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe View Post
One cheap-out bummer: Matt at IGN has confirmed in the forums that it will come with composite cables - component will be sold separately. Given that they're putting games in 16:9 and pro-scan, I can't see why they're chinzing out on a few dollars in cables.

Because fewer people can support component than composite?
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-09-15, 17:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
Because fewer people can support component than composite?
So? It's still cheap-ass. A $50 DVD player includes component cables these days.