User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
¡Damned!

2005-03-24, 14:05

Wow. I just had the time to watch this movie last night, and let me say I was completely blown away. The continuation of the storyline is of course great, but the standout for me was how smoothly the animation styles mixed. Just really fantastic.

I've never seen such a well-woven mix of high-end 3D, matte painting, anime and live action (at least, I think the doves and a few of the background scenes were...). Really, really impressive.

The *only* downfall to the DVD is the subtitling. I mean, sure, it has to be subtitled, and I don't mind that at all. But subtitles like: [faroff footsteps] and [Japanese singing] left me a few times with a WTF?.

Regardless. This movie is phenominal. If you haven't heard of it run immediately to your source of choice and grab it. Now.

(Of course, and this should go without saying, if you haven't seen the first one, God forbid, watch it beforehand)

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-03-24, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
The *only* downfall to the DVD is the subtitling. I mean, sure, it has to be subtitled, and I don't mind that at all. But subtitles like: [faroff footsteps] and [Japanese singing] left me a few times with a WTF?.
Remember, though, that subtitles are not just for translations. They're also for conveying sounds to the deaf and hard of hearing. If you couldn't hear those footsteps or that singing, you might be missing an important part of the plot.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2005-03-24, 14:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Remember, though, that subtitles are not just for translations. They're also for conveying sounds to the deaf and hard of hearing. If you couldn't hear those footsteps or that singing, you might be missing an important part of the plot.
Right. I thought that at first as well, but there were glaringly obvious places that there *should* have been something once I got used to it. I caught myself thinking that they must have used a Closed Captioning guy at first and then fired him halfway through the movie.

So it goes.
abraham

2005-03-24, 14:54

I have seen it... and it IS AWESOME!!!
By-the -way Nausicaa, the Hiayo Miazaki movie, just came out on DVD in the US!! I am going to get it!!

Radiohead!!!
dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2005-03-24, 15:03

Is this more like the orginal Ghost In The Shell movie or like the Stand-Alone Complex Series? I was a bit disappointed in the Series... in particular the slut gear they had the Major in was a bit goofy and out of place, kinda killed the serious sci-fi they had going for them in the first movie..

Shhhh, I can't see!
¡Damned!

2005-03-24, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dviant
Is this more like the orginal Ghost In The Shell movie or like the Stand-Alone Complex Series? I was a bit disappointed in the Series... in particular the slut gear they had the Major in was a bit goofy and out of place, kinda killed the serious sci-fi they had going for them in the first movie..
No, no, it's a continuation of the first movie. I believe the Stand Alone Complex stuff was pre-GITS (timeframe-wise). I mean it has to be...without giving out any 'Major' GITS spoilers.

So it goes.
naren
snail herder

Send a message via ICQ to naren Send a message via MSN to naren Send a message via Skype™ to naren 
2005-03-24, 16:40

They actually used Closed Captioning for the Hearing Impaired, not proper subtitles. There is supposed to be an exchange program available to trade in your crapola sub's disk for a new disk with the proper subtitles on it. http://recp.rm05.net/servlet/SignUpForm?f=2318

I requested mine ages ago but I've not received it yet.

The future is tomorrow!