MC: 1.14 - Village & Pillage Update!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: 1.14 - Village & Pillage Update!
Page 4 of 6 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Next Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-05, 11:15

Indeed.

Not even sure when I'm going to get to it. There's a hole in the ground that was waiting on 1.14 and I need to fix it.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-06, 19:38

I think I might have figured out a way to squeeze some improved performance out of the horrible item frames. 🤔

The standard item frame has 22 faces. This is how it's able to give the appearance of a raised border and inset interior. This is actually already somewhat optimized, and the model takes advantage of intersecting some of those faces. However, what if I were to simplify the geometry of the item frame not to have that raised border? That would reduce each item frame to 6 faces.

(Side note: Minecraft does automatically cull back faces. So, it's only ever really rendering about half of the possible faces.)

So, I took that wall o' frames I made earlier, put items in all of them, and revised my test results.

21x11x1 stone wall with 0 item frames → 1000+ fps https://i.imgur.com/170sWSw.jpg
21x11x1 stone wall with 241 item frames → 48 fps https://i.imgur.com/WsO30UT.jpg
21x11x1 stone wall with 241 item frames with items → 38 fps https://i.imgur.com/nGQjPbm.jpg
21x11x1 stone wall with 241 item frames with items, simplified model → 68 fps https://i.imgur.com/SrpJsJO.jpg

Still not great, but it's certainly better!

That last image is just a prototype model where I removed all the faces except for the bottom 6-sided "edge". Before I add anything like this to my resource pack, I'll make a custom texture and model that approximates the look of the old item frame. I'm working on this now and will hopefully get it updated for the server this evening.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-06, 19:48

I vote yes!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-06, 20:06

Huh. That was actually easier than I expected.

Before with complex geometry:

After with simplified geometry:

I feel like you can't even tell the difference unless you get up close and know what to look for.

As soon as I can package up these changes and upload the new file, I'll refresh the server!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-06, 20:41

Server has been updated.

I hovered over Ken's island in roughly the same place where I recorded ~26 FPS before, and now I get ~36 FPS. Marginal improvement. I'll take it!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-07, 01:09

Awesome. Should help. I might still re-jigger things if I can come up with a better system.
¡Damned!

2019-07-08, 12:35

That's brilliant Brad.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-07-12, 15:24

So....
Code:
/gamerule mobGriefing
is currently set to false. This is posing a problem with a wool factory I've built because it relies on the grass getting stripped from the dirt block to function. Do we want this set to false? This is likely why my farmers are much more lazy than normal lately and harvest me nothing.

Personally I think we should have this set to true but I want to raise the question here since I'm not sure why it was changed to false. What do you guys think? Anyone (read: Brad) know why it was set to false?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2019-07-12 at 16:16.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-12, 16:04

Oh! I’m so sorry. I had no idea that setting would have a detrimental effect. I flipped that a while ago because I was getting tired of endermen putting pock marks all over the place from stealing sand, dirt, grass, etc. I did not anticipate it affecting the behavior of passive mobs too.

Please do flip it back on so farmers etc. can get back to work. I can certainly live with cleaning up the landscape from time to time instead!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-07-12, 16:09

Ok. I just logged in an set it back to true. I have to rebuild my wool factory because I can't use
Code:
/clone
very well. :/
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-12, 16:53

Not sure if I'm too late, but if it's too big, you could carefully pick the coordinates and clone it in pieces, and if it's too far away, you could coordinate with someone else to stand close enough to the other end.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-07-12, 17:17

Well, they are literally blocks apart from the source and destination. I just used "move" and didn't check first. So used to an undo command from the old bukkit days that I forgot there isn't one in here. I would have been fine if I just copied instead of moved.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2019-07-16, 13:53

Found one of the Pillager Outposts mentioned in the OP, not too far from town even, around -800, -800.

I put in a nether portal a hundred-ish blocks away (head towards the Skyranch in the nether (NW interior ring) - there are signs) and it's a neat little adventure sneaking up on the Outpost. The baddies are all armed with crossbows, so beware. They sting a bit more than the normal bows.

IMPORTANT: If you kill the leader (the dude sporting the banner) you will be struck with the 'Bad Omen' curse for an insanely long time. If you enter a village while wearing the curse you'll trigger waves of Pillager Raids attacking the village and villagers. They are not easy to fend off alone, so double-beware.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2019-07-17, 23:11

That is some CRAZY SHIT.

So much has changed!!

¡Damned!

2019-07-19, 15:56

Hey Brad, I'm adding some of the new blocks and enchantments to the CommEx so I may have taken over "The Barreling" you started. Hope you don't mind!

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-19, 15:58

By all means!

The more barrels the merrier.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-19, 16:03

In related news, 1.14.4 has dropped and seems to fix a lot of bugs (including some performance issues), but in classic Minecraft fashion, it is not backwards compatible. Once OptiFine has its update ready, I'll boop the server up too.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-19, 16:43

Also, is anyone having trouble with signs? I cannot see any of them!

Edit: Never mind. 709 hinted me a thought and I got it fixed.

Last edited by kscherer : 2019-07-19 at 17:23.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-19, 17:57

And??? Share with the class! Someone else might hit the same issue.

In other related news, I'm working on some tweaks to the resource pack due to popular demand (read: 709) plus a handful of improvements of my own making. For instance, do you ever get annoyed by flickering Z-axis "texture fighting" on the ends of iron bars?

After implementing a custom model, Z-FIGHTING BEGONE!

(It's still not perfect, but it's much better when looking at iron bars up close.)

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-19, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
And??? Share with the class! Someone else might hit the same issue.
I had an old resource pack selected, and I had server-side resource packs turned on. The system must have been fighting with itself to determine which resource got used. Signs and horse armor were invisible.

Got around it by removing the resource pack from the list and just turning on server-side.

Happy, now?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
¡Damned!

2019-07-19, 18:13

Quote:
... due to popular demand (read: 709)
I gotta have those wood signs!
¡Damned!

2019-07-19, 21:13

Quote:
See, that's amazing. We're lucky to have you Brad.

But I also don't recognize that place from the angle... is it new?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-20, 22:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Hey Brad, I'm adding some of the new blocks and enchantments to the CommEx so I may have taken over "The Barreling" you started. Hope you don't mind!
Very nicely done! I really like the way it's organized and looks now.

Speaking of looks…

I hope you don't might that I slapped some white ink on your new dark-oak signs. Also, this is my way of saying, "hey I updated the resource pack!"

¡Damned!

2019-07-21, 08:45

Quote:
I hope you don't might that I slapped some white ink on your new dark-oak signs.
Nope, white ink on dark oak was the plan all along! Looks great!
¡Damned!

2019-07-23, 11:53

Logged in during lunch just now to find the bamboo farm on fire... then turned around to see the giant tree behind the old train station on fire too!

I heard a loud lightning crash when logging in, but it wasn't raining. I dunno what happened.

Any way to reset from the latest (pre 12:30 EDT) backup? The bamboo can be replanted but I'd hate to lose the giant tree.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-23, 12:13

Lightning is attracted to troublemakers. You should log out before the whole joint burns down.

—

I'll wait to play until there is an answer to the question.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-23, 12:28

Random lightning crash could be the four horsemen appearing. Did you see any skelly-riders in the vicinity?

I can't get to it until later this evening, but I can certainly restore a recent backup if the damage is kinda nasty.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2019-07-23, 12:28

Oh jeez. This might be indirectly my fault for requesting Fire Spread be turned back on.
¡Damned!

2019-07-23, 12:34

Quote:
Random lightning crash could be the four horsemen appearing. Did you see any skelly-riders in the vicinity?
When I noticed the bamboo field on fire, yeah, but they didn't appear (via skellie-horse lightning strike) until I went over there to investigate.

The bamboo can just be replanted, not a big deal. The big tree I'm more concerned about since we may not have the backup for whatever early world that came from (may have even been Bridgeport?).

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-23, 13:34

Yeah, the big tree was my take on some tree from some old video game that I built in the original Bridgeport.

I'll definitely take a look when I get home. Thanks for the heads-up.