User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

amacom baby cd/rw, doesnt burn just flashes orange

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
amacom baby cd/rw, doesnt burn just flashes orange
andyh

2006-09-17, 14:24

My CDRW burner just wont work all it does is flash orange on the front draw when it should normally be green ? Plus cd you put in doesnt get read and doesnt seem to spin when close the draw, Its a firewire one which connects straight into the IE1344 slot on the back of the mac and it had been working well for 5 years.
The lead is okay as that has a little green led light plus the lead has spare firewire socket which ive daisy chained a hard drive which works fine. Ive checked the cd but it has no drivers to install as its just plug and play according to the manual . i did however find an MBDF A virus embeddied in two files on the install disc which i didnt instal which i think is a bit naughty of amacom. So does anyone think its just a mechanical fault and anyone else had this problem?? Im running mac g4 duo 450 1.2gb ram 0s 9.2 and toastlite 5.0.1 for the cdrw burning software

The only recent changes ive made is to upgrade my ie browser to IE5.1 and Netscape to 7.

Any suggestions greatfully appreciated as no mention of this in manual or amacoms tech help page / troubleshooting, even if i have to let it go to the great trash bin in the sky. cheers
in advance Andy
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-09-19, 08:30

No clue on this one. OS9 is getting pretty long in the tooth though. It's hard to know what exactly would cause a problem in this case.

Have you tried booting with just the base OS9 extensions, or the officail "full extensions" set in extension manager?

The only thing that comes to mind would be an extension conflict of some sort.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-09-19, 09:39

IIRC, OS 9 used extensions for disc burning via FireWire and USB.

You may be missing the necessary extension (although Toast should have installed it).
andyh

2006-09-19, 15:04

Ta for that i didnt think about any extensions conflict. I will try the re boot method, spoke to amazon yesterday but they went into receivership and now the brands been bought by another co. Really helpful though
and said it happened before but could be mechanical?

may have to send it off to them if extension
fix
doesnt
work. Will keep you
u p tpo date with what happens so can be of help if happens to anyone else. Also
i kno wthat os 9 is so old but had OSX for a
t least 2 years but havent had time to install it since had baby daughter and her growing up!!

But its on my list of things to do !!![PHP][/PHP]
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-09-19, 15:16

Dude, it takes like 25 minutes to install it- roughly half the time you will spend fixing this problem
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-09-19, 18:51

How much free space on your hard drive? If you have around 10 GB or more available, I'd have to agree with the OS X method, which would pretty much let you rule out software as an issue.