User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

What is Apple's new sans-serif corporate typeface?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What is Apple's new sans-serif corporate typeface?
Kusakun

2006-03-27, 09:18

Hi guys this post has nothing to do about lets say "apple products" But Im doing a project and I was wondering whats the APPLE font. The new one Sans Serif.

Anybody?

Thanks!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-03-27, 09:21

Adobe Myriad Pro.

Wikipedia on Myriad and on Apple typography.

By the way, may I kindly suggest a better thread title, such as "What is Apple's new sans-serif corporate typeface?".
Kusakun

2006-03-27, 10:18

Thats a better title
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2006-03-27, 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Adobe Myriad Pro.

Wikipedia on Myriad and on Apple typography.

By the way, may I kindly suggest a better thread title, such as "What is Apple's new sans-serif corporate typeface?".
Myriad Pro Semi-bold specifically, is it not?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-03-27, 10:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacfan
Myriad Pro Semi-bold specifically, is it not?
So says this image, at least.

Kusakun

2006-03-27, 14:22

its pretty strange. It looks like the same. But is not exactly the same. That font is Thicker and wider than the ipod one -And i dont mean that it should be a variant like bold or medium- Maybe is an optical adjustment. But at least is the one I needed.

THANK YOU GUYS
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-27, 15:46

I've found that Apple does indeed tweak the kerning a bit. There's actually a variation floating around the web called "Apple Myriad Pro" that includes this modification.

editing the title...

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2006-03-27, 15:58

*note: if the admins/mods find that this borders on the dark side of legality feel free to delete away.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-27, 17:20

Yup, I've edited your post, 709.

Since this is a commercial font (or an in-house variant of a commercial font), sharing it here constitutes piracy and is not allowed.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Kusakun

2006-03-27, 17:40

Sorry. No piracy intended. Its for study. I need it to make a "fake apple packaging" for a product for a university project.
hotch

2006-03-27, 17:46

check out:

http://zlit.net/up/Apple_Identity_Guidelines_052605.pdf

those are all of apple's display rules

(yes, it really is 9 pages of rules on how we can advertise)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-27, 17:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusakun
Sorry. No piracy intended. Its for study. I need it to make a "fake apple packaging" for a product for a university project.
FYI, even if it's for non-profit work, acquiring this font and using it without paying for it is piracy.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-03-27, 18:25

Also FYI, it would be much less criminal to, say, extract and re-arrange individual letters from something like this...

SpecMode
Wait what

2006-03-27, 18:33

I'll just add, as a side note, that a decent part of the Myriad Pro font family is included in OTF format, free, with Adobe Reader. I seem to remember reading about that on AN or another forum quite a while ago; I'll see if I can drudge up the link. Unfortunately, it doesn't include the Semibold variety, but even so, it's still a pretty good deal (especially since the fonts retail in Adobe's own online store for $35 per typeface).
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-03-27, 18:37

*retraction of statement
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-03-27, 20:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode
I'll just add, as a side note, that a decent part of the Myriad Pro font family is included in OTF format, free, with Adobe Reader. I seem to remember reading about that on AN or another forum quite a while ago; I'll see if I can drudge up the link. Unfortunately, it doesn't include the Semibold variety, but even so, it's still a pretty good deal (especially since the fonts retail in Adobe's own online store for $35 per typeface).
Interesting... I'm downloading the reader to double-check that. I've been wanting something close to that font, but I didn't really want to pay for it.
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-03-27, 20:50

Navigate to the Adobe Reader app; right/control-click, "Show Package Contents", browse to Contents/MacOS/Resources/Font. Myriad Pro and Minion Pro, amongst others, should be in there.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-03-27, 21:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode
Navigate to the Adobe Reader app; right/control-click, "Show Package Contents", browse to Contents/MacOS/Resources/Font. Myriad Pro and Minion Pro, amongst others, should be in there.
Yep. Show Contents > Mac OS > Resource > Font

Thanks for the tip.
v.noir

2006-03-28, 04:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusakun
The new one
Just out of interest, what was the old one? I'm sure that the wiki on Apple Typography linked earlier would tell me, but Wikipedia isn't communist enough or something, and I can't see any wikis at all. How rubbish is that!

Also, roughly when was the old one used? I'm having trouble remembering it... I remember an old serif font, as used on old Power Mac & iMac posters (I think), but not an old sans-serif one.

...and all the wolves were found upside-down in a box!
chucker

2006-03-28, 04:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.noir
Just out of interest, what was the old one? I'm sure that the wiki on Apple Typography linked earlier would tell me,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_t...Apple_Garamond

Indeed.

Quote:
but Wikipedia isn't communist enough or something, and I can't see any wikis at all. How rubbish is that!
Huh? You mean you're being censored from the site?

(edit) Ah, I just noticed you're from China. Hmm, well, I can mirror the pictures of the font faces.

Motter Tektura (starting mid-70s)

Apple Garamond (starting 1984)

Quote:
Also, roughly when was the old one used? I'm having trouble remembering it... I remember an old serif font, as used on old Power Mac & iMac posters (I think), but not an old sans-serif one.
Well, the old serif font, Apple Garamond, was used between 1984 and 2002.

The old sans-serif font, Motter Tektura (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_t...otter_Tektura), was used before that. Late 70s, early 80s.
admactanium

2006-03-28, 05:05

fonts also look very different when they're kerned properly. it's a weird phenomenon.
v.noir

2006-03-28, 09:02

Garamond! I knew I knew the name, and that's the one I was thinking of. Cheers Chucker!

It really bugs me not being able to access certain sites. Wikipedia most notably (I used it a lot back home in England!), but various blog sites are blocked (some aren't though), as is the BBC News site. People are probably watched all the time anyway.

Although doors don't open by themselves like the did in "The Prisoner".

...and all the wolves were found upside-down in a box!
nato64

Send a message via AIM to nato64  
2006-03-28, 14:30

wow... i was under the impression that Lucida Grande was the font for Apple. Boy was I wrong.
chucker

2006-03-28, 14:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nato64
wow... i was under the impression that Lucida Grande was the font for Apple. Boy was I wrong.
No, Lucida Grande is only used in Aqua. While it generally works very well together with Quartz's font smoothing, it doesn't look all that great without it, and in print, it's probably quite mediocre. In addition, it lacks italic (a flaw Gruber commented on a while ago).

The color-screen iPods also use Myriad.
nato64

Send a message via AIM to nato64  
2006-03-28, 14:47

Wow. I didn't know that. How can we get Myriad/Myraid Pro/Apple Myraid Pro?
chucker

2006-03-28, 14:54

You can buy it from Adobe.
¡Damned!

2006-03-28, 14:59

Myriad Pro is also included on the CS2 installation discs...I believe in one of the 'Goodies' folders.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-28, 21:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nato64
Wow. I didn't know that. How can we get Myriad/Myraid Pro/Apple Myraid Pro?
Adobe Type Library: Adobe Pro

(as chucker said)
T2dak668

2006-03-29, 23:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotch
check out:

http://zlit.net/up/Apple_Identity_Guidelines_052605.pdf

those are all of apple's display rules

(yes, it really is 9 pages of rules on how we can advertise)
Good Find on the Identity Guide lines.